Giorgio Chinaglia dies

NoHoJoe

Wait, what's a distortion?

The meme was always based on something that was never said. Not in that manner or form.

Sorry, STL, I never knew that it was associated with you. I always thought it was about the VT thing.

The origin of "Today we are all..."

If memory serves, "today we are all" came from a comment made in an article STL Fanatic linked to in the thread. Some writer said something about "Cardinal nation losing one of it's own and today we all mourn for one of our own" or something like that. What the writer of the article said was pretty darn close to "today we are all Cardinals." The statement in the article was what inspired "today we are all." Somehow, "today we are all" has been incorrectly attributed to STL Fanatic ever since.

So for the record, STL Fanatic never said "today we are all Cardinals." What he actually said was (from separate posts) a.) "We're St. Louisans, we're Cardinals, and now we've lost one of them. And I'm mourning." and b.) "I am a Cardinal."

"Today we are all..." was born from a combination of the comment from the article and STL Fanatic's sentiments and thus a legend was born.

I don't remember who was first to use the actual "today we are all..." as we know it today but that person would be the one who actually started the whole thing.

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a good recap of the facts, infared. I actually hadn't even realized there was an article that was the actual source of it. That makes more sense than someone just adding the phrase and attaching it to me.

The discussion came in the aftermath of a death, but my statement was in a more specific discussion on a particular fan base's relation to its team. At no point did I suggest anybody was a Cardinal because of a death much less that everyone was a Cardinal because of a death. I said that St. Louisians/fans of the Cardinals are Cardinals. I'm sure there's a lot of people that would jump all over me for that statement all over again, and that's fine. But the point is that's a lot different statement from what the meme makes it out to be.

So perhaps it's not so much a distortion of what was said, but the attribution to me is the distortion.

You've pretty much got all the facts in there, infared, but when you say...

What he said was pretty darn close to "today we are all Cardinals."

...I think you're way off.

It's important to note that while the discussion came in the aftermath of a death, my statement was in a more specific discussion on a particular fan base's relation to its team. At no point did I suggest anybody was a Cardinal because of a death much less that everyone was a Cardinal because of a death. I said that St. Louisians/fans of the Cardinals are Cardinals. I'm sure there's a lot of people that would jump all over me for that statement all over again, and that's fine. But the point is that's a lot different statement from what the meme makes it out to be.

As I said, it's a pretty huge distortion of what was ever actually said.

My mistake. I wasn't clear enough. What I meant was what the writer of the article said was pretty darn close. You never said anything close to "today we are all..." I'm editing the post to make sure that's clear.

BB52Big.jpg

You've pretty much got all the facts in there, infared, but when you say...

What he said was pretty darn close to "today we are all Cardinals."

...I think you're way off.

It's important to note that while the discussion came in the aftermath of a death, my statement was in a more specific discussion on a particular fan base's relation to its team. At no point did I suggest anybody was a Cardinal because of a death much less that everyone was a Cardinal because of a death. I said that St. Louisians/fans of the Cardinals are Cardinals. I'm sure there's a lot of people that would jump all over me for that statement all over again, and that's fine. But the point is that's a lot different statement from what the meme makes it out to be.

As I said, it's a pretty huge distortion of what was ever actually said.

My mistake. I wasn't clear enough. What I meant was what the writer of the article said was pretty darn close. You never said anything close to "today we are all..." I'm editing the post to make sure that's clear.

Gotcha. Thanks. I'll edit mine accordingly as well.

I went back and read some of that thread just for the heck of it.

Milo M, in typical argumentative form gave us this.

You are not a Cardinal. You're a Cardinal fan. There's a big difference. You have no World Series ring, and they won't mourn your death when you pass.

And to address a larger audience, we are not all Hokies. We all just sympathize for the victims of the Va. Tech tragedy and their families.

But yes--rest in peace, Josh Hancock. And the victims of the Va. Tech shootings.

Essentially connecting what I said to the "Today, We're All Hokies" statement that Gothamite referenced. Perhaps that was where the connection happened.

At this point, I'm just investigating more than complaining, by the way.

That's a good recap of the facts, infared. I actually hadn't even realized there was an article that was the actual source of it. That makes more sense than someone just adding the phrase and attaching it to me.

The discussion came in the aftermath of a death, but my statement was in a more specific discussion on a particular fan base's relation to its team. At no point did I suggest anybody was a Cardinal because of a death much less that everyone was a Cardinal because of a death. I said that St. Louisians/fans of the Cardinals are Cardinals. I'm sure there's a lot of people that would jump all over me for that statement all over again, and that's fine. But the point is that's a lot different statement from what the meme makes it out to be.

So perhaps it's not so much a distortion of what was said, but the attribution to me is the distortion.

Much like "play it again Sam", "today we are all..." is a modified and easier to remember version of what someone actually said. The writer of the piece in question never actually said "today we are all Cardinals." Although "today we are all" does more or less sum up the sentiment of what he said, the actual statement was both longer and a bit more nuanced. Unfortunately, the link to the original article no longer works so we may never get to see the complete origins of what has become (I'm sure to your dismay) a CCSLC classic.

And for the record, I totally got what you were saying at the time about "being a Cardinal." At least I think I did. B)

BB52Big.jpg

It's kinda funny (in a way) reading that thread. At the core, I don't think I've changed all that much, but I've certainly adjusted the way I handled myself since then. (I was also pretty emotional during the thread in question, so that would have been a factor).

I've grown up reading/posting on these boards. Started posting in 97 (maybe 98) when I was about 10. Was 19 during the thread that's being referenced. I'm 24 now.

Interesting to look back and see the way I've grown and matured in how I think and handle situations. Granted it's just message board situations, but it's still interesting.

You are not a Cardinal. You're a Cardinal fan. There's a big difference. You have no World Series ring, and they won't mourn your death when you pass.

And to address a larger audience, we are not all Hokies. We all just sympathize for the victims of the Va. Tech tragedy and their families.

But yes--rest in peace, Josh Hancock. And the victims of the Va. Tech shootings.

Essentially connecting what I said to the "Today, We're All Hokies" statement that Gothamite referenced. Perhaps that was where the connection happened.

At this point, I'm just investigating more than complaining, by the way.

Understood. I think it's kind of fun to go back and take a look at how things were here five years ago. That and I like all those "the real story of.." shows etc. Anyway, I think we have pretty much set the record straight...not that it will matter. B)

BB52Big.jpg

It's kinda funny (in a way) reading that thread. At the core, I don't think I've changed all that much, but I've certainly adjusted the way I handled myself since then. (I was also pretty emotional during the thread in question, so that would have been a factor).

I've grown up reading/posting on these boards. Started posting in 97 (maybe 98) when I was about 10. Was 19 during the thread that's being referenced. I'm 24 now.

Interesting to look back and see the way I've grown and matured in how I think and handle situations. Granted it's just message board situations, but it's still interesting.

My thoughts exactly. It also makes me wonder what ever happened to some of the names I saw in that thread. Some really good members have fallen to the wayside along the way.

BB52Big.jpg

Maybe. But at the time, I heard "Today, we are all Hokies" everywhere. Not just on this board. And I don't ever remember associating it with you.

I think you had the misfortune to post something similar to an already-popular mawkish sentiment. People who criticized and made fun of that sentiment weren't necessarily making fun of you.

People who criticized and made fun of that sentiment weren't necessarily making fun of you.

Not to drag this out too much further but he is (mostly incorrectly) considered to be "patient zero" in the lore of "today we are all..." Also, history seems to suggest that "today we are all" had more to do with the Josh Hancock thread than it did with VT. In fact, if memory serves, I don't think VT really even played a role in the origins of the meme.

Anyway, I'll shut up now. I guess I'm just enjoying reliving some of our "history." Those were the days...now get off my lawn. B)

BB52Big.jpg

RIP Giorgio. Today we are all Cardinals. Goodnight, sweet prince.

A**hole.

Today we are all overly-sensitive moderators.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Today, we all beat jokes to death.

Wait a minute, that's everyday. :censored: me. Carry on.

"Today we are all..." is not a mere "joke." It is a worn out meme well-worn CCSLC tradition. It works just fine as long as people who wouldn't know humor if it violated them like a farm animal don't use it to attempt weak-ass jokes it's handled correctly and it isn't 1st prize in the obligatory race to be the first person to say something stupid when someone of note dies it is used in moderation. So show a little respect. B)

BB52Big.jpg

Red, you don't get enough recognition 'round this joint. I like you.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived