Vancouver Canucks

chickenfish13

Hey CCSLC'ers.

It's been a while since I've posted a concept, or really done anything sports related. I came across this picture on a hockey board:

thomas-gradin.jpg

And I thought it looked unreal. I know some people think it's atrocious and should never have been around, but I really like the color scheme and the way they utilized it. I had a quick idea that I've roughed up here, kind of combining that era with what the Canucks are going for now. I'm sure there might be a couple little nitpicky areas that people don't like, such as the text above the logo. I'm honestly probably not going to change a whole lot to it, I'm more putting it up here to see what people think about it, and if it could fly in the NHL today. I've got the yellow jersey acting as the away here, because a white jersey really doesn't compliment a black or yellow version. The only thing I'm not really happy with is the numbers on the back being different than those on the arms. I'm not really sure if mismatched numbers are in the NHL, and I don't think it'd really work too well, just for aesthetic reasons.

Anyways, thanks for checking it out, and let me know what you think, good or bad.

canucksc7.png

That is one of my favorite Canucks jerseys and yours isn't a up grade or a downgrade I like the way the v kind of distorts the text it looks cool But that red seems quite bright, maybe try making the nubers on both parts of the jersey the same colors as the v (red with yellow stroke on the black) and maybe have the same script on the home and road with the other one on the alt

While I love all of your other work, this was a huge miss. All you seemed to do was take a bad jersey and make it worse. :down:

Thanks for liking my other stuff. I knew this would be a hit or miss with most people, what don't you like about it?

The standalone V and the workmark just don't mesh.

The standalone V doesn't look as a good as the bold V on the original "Flying V" jerseys. Though with some work, this has some potential. Love the Black Yellow and Orange scheme

The standalone V doesn't look as a good as the bold V on the original "Flying V" jerseys. Though with some work, this has some potential. Love the Black Yellow and Orange scheme

Morgo, I totally agree with you on the colours. I was always a fan of the overly-criticized home yellow. Back in the "Original 21" days(I'm on old-timer!), the Canucks were just one of three teams to wear away black for most of the 80s, but the only team to wear a home yellow and away black combo. The Penguins tried it for just one season before Mario Lemieux's arrival.

While I liked the Flying V, its design ruined the natural uniqueness of the colour scheme. All the losing, minus the '82 Cup run, didn't help matters either. Don Taylor from Rogers Sportsnet always said how good the Flying V design would look in blue, green, and white. I always felt how cool it would look to see the original Stick 'n Rink and the '70-'72 striping in the Flying V colours. Add a solid black shoulder yoke to the yellows and add the skating Johnny Canuck as a secondary and you've got a winner.

Morgo, I totally agree with you on the colours. I was always a fan of the overly-criticized home yellow. Back in the "Original 21" days(I'm on old-timer!), the Canucks were just one of three teams to wear away black for most of the 80s, but the only team to wear a home yellow and away black combo. The Penguins tried it for just one season before Mario Lemieux's arrival.

While I liked the Flying V, its design ruined the natural uniqueness of the colour scheme. All the losing, minus the '82 Cup run, didn't help matters either. Don Taylor from Rogers Sportsnet always said how good the Flying V design would look in blue, green, and white. I always felt how cool it would look to see the original Stick 'n Rink and the '70-'72 striping in the Flying V colours. Add a solid black shoulder yoke to the yellows and add the skating Johnny Canuck as a secondary and you've got a winner.

I'm not sure if any of your comments are in regards to my concept, VancouverFan69, but I'd love to hear what you think about it, seeing as you were around when the Flying V jerseys were prominent.

See the thing is, to pull of a crazy concept like the flying V, you need to have a better color scheme. I think the old V's would look fantastic with the current colors, but together it's just too much

I do agree that the Flying V would look more appropriate in blue, green, and white, but the yellow, reddish-orange, and black was a sharp-looking and unique colour scheme on its own. Look at the Boston Bruins for example. Black and yellow, but white is their light uniform colour. Yellow as the light uniform colour with black being the dark is a natural.

I'm not sure if any of your comments are in regards to my concept, VancouverFan69, but I'd love to hear what you think about it, seeing as you were around when the Flying V jerseys were prominent.

I actually really like your simplified version of the Flying V. I would prefer the V on the yellows to be black with reddish-orange than the other way around. I would also try and incorporate Johnny Canuck in front of the V as well. However, like I had mentioned in earlier posts, my most favourite element of the Flying V uniforms were the colours.

I would love to see a '70-'72 Stick 'n Rink concept with the Flying V colours, though.

Overall, very good work

Archived