Global Baseball League

Philsphan

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On to the final division! The Pacific Division.

In 2029, the city of Calgary was granted one of the original 8 GBL franchises and by 2034, Portland and Vancouver joined Calgary as isolated but important parts of the GBL. Despite having a smaller population than Seattle, each of these teams out sold the Seattle Mariners of the MLB proving in the early years of the GBL that it would be able to compete with the Major Leagues. Then, in 2035, Japan's proffessional baseball league, Nippon Pro Baseball, folded, leaving Japan, a nation with a rich baseball history, with no professional baseball teams. The GBL filled the void of no baseball within 3 months, adding teams in Tokyo and Kyoto, to the league. In addition to the two Japanese teams, a team in Seoul, South Korea was added and to give teams a "pit stop" as they made long road trips across the Pacific, Hawaii got its first major professional sports team. To give the Pacific Division 8 teams and bring the GBL total to 32, Yokohama was welcomed to the league in 2039.

Calgary Stallions

Hawaii Alohas

Kyoto Cranes

Portland Redwoods

Seoul Sea Lions

Tokyo Bay Raptors

Vancouver Orcas

Yokohama Assassins

The Calgary Stallions were formed in 2029 as the most isolated of the original 8 teams. The team's name is a reference to the Calgary Stampede, a 10 day rodeo festival which has become one of the richest rodeos in the world and attracts over a million visitors. The Calgary Dome, located in downtown Calgary was built to host the 2026 Winter Olympics, 38 years after Calgary first held the games. The Calgary Dome is shared between the Stallions and Calgary's MLS team and Calgary has been front and center showing that baseball and soccer are the fastest growing sports in Canada. The Stallions logos show a cowboy hat that is feature on the city flag.

CalgaryStallions.png

I love what you have here with this set, really gives that old Western feel especially with the red alt and the use of cream. My one critique is that a stallion is a horse, so maybe you should do some kind of logo involving a horse as part of the set, see if you can incorporate that somehow. What you have now is great though.

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

I love what you have here with this set, really gives that old Western feel especially with the red alt and the use of cream. My one critique is that a stallion is a horse, so maybe you should do some kind of logo involving a horse as part of the set, see if you can incorporate that somehow. What you have now is great though.

The Western look is exactly what I was going for! I tried so many times to get the stallion to look right and it just wouldn't. It would either end up looking too much like the Broncos or too much like SMU. I also couldn't figure out how to incorporate the CS cap logo with the horse, so when I made the cowboy hat logo, which I really like for it's simplicity, I decided I to go without the stallion logo. Thanks for responding so quickly!

Two teams to round off the Pacific Northwest and the last teams in North America: the Vancouver Orcas and the Portland Redwoods.

The Vancouver Orcas were formed in 2034 as the last of three Canadian teams to join the league. :flagcanada: The Orcas are very popular in Vancouver, especially among the large Chinese minority. Named after the Killer Whales that live off the coast of British Columbia, the Orcas wear teal and blue, the unofficial colors of the Pacific Northwest (IMO).

VancouverOrcas.png

The Portland Redwoods also formed in 2034 and are named after world famous Redwood trees. While when most people think of redwoods, they think of California, there is a significant Redwood population in Oregon too, inspiring the first owner of Portland to name his team after one of the worlds most beautiful trees. Portland has a decent fan base that barely outsells the MLB's Seattle Mariners at the ticket booths.

PortlandRedwoods.png

C&C for both teams is greatly appreciated!

Vancouver looks perfect, no complaints on that set. Portland's jerseys also look nice and solid, my only problem is a lack of contrast on the hats. The green and red just aren't differentiated enough, try a white outline around the P. Overall, though, nice couple concepts here.

Cohenj.png

I was watching the Little League World Series and Japan was playing and seeing how good white hats with red brims look, I was inspired to make this concept!

The Kyoto Cranes formed in 2035 as the second team in Japan. They adopted the traditional Japanese colors of red and white and also took the official bird as their mascot. The other two Japanese teams, Tokyo and Yokohama, do not use Japanese colors or emblems so Kyoto, despite not being near the capital is typically referred to as Japan's team. (Similar to the Cowboys, "America's team") Kyoto is the seventh largest city in Japan but is located near Osaka and Kobe, two larger cities very close by. The Cranes have discussed becoming a traveling team, playing home games in all three cities. C&C is appreciated!

KyotoCranes.png

This is a really cool set, nice and simple, similar to the Reds (in a good way). The alternate cap logo is a beauty. My only suggestion is a small one, try using a red belt instead of black for more uniformity. Overall, nice job.

Cohenj.png

I probably should change the belts, but every single team so far has had a black belt. I know if went back and changed every team (which I might do in a few years) I wouldnt use all black belts, but on team #28, for the sake of the uniformity of the league, I think I'm going to leave it. Im glad you like the alternate hat, it's one of my favorites so far.

The Seoul Sea Lions formed in 2035 and there is no reason why they are called the Sea Lions, besides the fact that it rolls of the tounge and I've always had this cool logo of a sea lion balancing a South Korean ying yang on its nose. The team is the most successful of the Asian teams so far, winning 2 Pacific Division titles and making it to the Globe Series in 2039. South Korea has supported the Sea Lions immensely and the Sea Lions have become somewhat of a national symbol.

SeoulSeaLions.png

I LOVE the Seoul logos. Love them.

And hey- South Korea's got Seoul.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

The logo you have is really cool, nice job on that. The hats are also cool. Just a couple of suggestions. First, I would switch the home and alternate jerseys, the alt you have seems more suited for a primary and vice versa. Second, on your current home jersey, the one I suggested to switch to the alternate, I would use the full-bodied sea lion on the jersey rather than just the head, I think it would look better that way. Nice, creative concept.

Cohenj.png

Yeah, after I finished I realized that I should have used that full body sea lion logo on the jersey. I used the logo on the home uniform becuase every other Pacific Division team uses scripts on the homes. If you still think that the set should have script in the homes, I'll redo it, but it won't be up until next Sunday becuase I don't have a scanner right now.

That Kyoto logo with the crane is fantastic! *Use it in the uniform!!!*

BTW I've started work on Cape Cod, but I'm going to be slowing down some as school starts tomorrow. I'm also trying to teach myself the finer points of Inkscape so that I can do better with it.

rATMcmK.png

That Kyoto logo with the crane is fantastic! *Use it in the uniform!!!*

Thanks. Its one if my favorites too. I took your advice and researched exactly what a crane looks like first. Do you think I should add it as a patch? Or instead of the script?

BTW I've started work on Cape Cod, but I'm going to be slowing down some as school starts tomorrow. I'm also trying to teach myself the finer points of Inkscape so that I can do better with it.

I PMed you about only doing two or three from each division. It will be faster and I will be done with the series in 2-3 weeks. Also, I don't want to hold you up on your soccer league. After Cape Cod move onto the Border Division. On page three there is a list with links to all the teams. That way you can decide which two you want to do.

Sorry, I must have missed the PM. If it's okay, I enjoy doing these, and the practise is helping me get ready for my league. But I can do as you say, do two or three for each division, and then come back to the others as I have time, if that's okay.

I think the crane logo should go on the sleeve instead of the sunburst. It would be a much stronger design.

rATMcmK.png

Archived