Global Baseball League

Philsphan

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the mean time, I'll post the next team. The San Antonio Lone Stars were one of the eight original teams. First, they were known as the Texas Lone Stars, but as the GBL grew in popularity, people were getting the Rangers and the Lone Stars confused... especially since they had the same color scheme. In 2035, the team was rebranded and took the color scheme of gray, red, and black. San Antonio has received the support expected of the 7th largest city in the United States (2040 Census) and it has continued to grow. Old rivalries with Monterrey and Brooklyn keep the Lone Stars motivated throughout the long hot, Texas summers beneath no retractable roof. Hope you enjoy! C&C...

SanAntonioLoneStars.png

My comments here are grammatical. You?re concept is alright, I especially like the S*A logo, but you may want to consider a new name for San Antonio. Texas may be the Lone Star State, but Lone cannot be plural. I have a basketball league that I?ve been working on for the better part of my 30 years. I used to have a team named the Texas LoneStars until I realized and accepted this fact.

Lone [lohn] adjective

1. being alone; without company or accompaniment; solitary; unaccompanied: a lone traveler.

2. standing by itself or apart; isolated: a lone house in the valley.

3. sole; single; only: That company constitutes our lone competitor in the field.

4. unfrequented.

5. without companionship; lonesome; lonely.

Lone basically means one, but stars suggest more than one. If there is more than one star, it cant be a lone star.

There's only one North Star but we had the Minnesota North Stars. This debate comes up a lot on here. I say, his fantasy, he can name them whatever he wants.

rATMcmK.png

There may only be one "north star", but there are many stars in the north. No matter what, there is only one "lone star". Of course its his league, and he can do what he pleases, I am just trying to share some wisdom.

It took the movie Airheads to set me straight

Yeah, I hadn't thought of that. I like the team name though and it sounds good with San Antonio. So, I'm keeping the name: San Antonio Lone Stars. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Yeah, even though it may not be gramatically correct, it is a great name for a Texas team. I always thought the Dallas Stars should have become the Lone Stars when they moved to Dallas.

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

Here is an update for the Sandias. I really liked the way it turned out.

AlbuquerqueSandas2.png

And here is the final compilation of the Border Division. I am officially halfway through the GBL! I am really pleased with how everything's going and I can see that Ai am really improving as a concept artist. I specifically want to thank cohenj21 and Whittier for giving me great advice and being like the only two people to consistently give C&C. Without you two guys, I probably would have stopped posting the teams. Thank you.

BorderDivision.png

Hey, anything I can do to help. I wish I could make concepts like the ones on these boards, but since I can't, I try to help other people improve, which you certainly have. New alternate looks nice for Albuquerque and I would definitely buy that primary hat. Can't wait for the rest!

Cohenj.png

Just wanting to nurture a young talent, like I wish I'd had when I was doing this at your age.

I like the improvements on Albuquerque, I esp like the logo on the alternate, the way mountains mimic an "A", but I'm not 100% certain how the logo would play out running across a button placard.

I'm beginning to figure out that your sleeve striping is your "thing"--the thing that separates your uniforms from Major League Baseball uniforms, and now that I've wrapped my mind around that, I'm liking it more.

BTW I get my computer in a couple of weeks, and my offer stands.

rATMcmK.png

Just wanting to nurture a young talent, like I wish I'd had when I was doing this at your age.

I like the improvements on Albuquerque, I esp like the logo on the alternate, the way mountains mimic an "A", but I'm not 100% certain how the logo would play out running across a button placard.

I'm beginning to figure out that your sleeve striping is your "thing"--the thing that separates your uniforms from Major League Baseball uniforms, and now that I've wrapped my mind around that, I'm liking it more.

BTW I get my computer in a couple of weeks, and my offer stands.

Not to be nosy, but what kind of offer?

Cohenj.png

To do them in .svg format using templates. Nothing to change his work, just to showcase it. But I can't do anything until I get everything squared away with a new computer, which right now is mired in some clerical errors some folks made with my student loans that I'm trying to get squared away.

rATMcmK.png

Hi everyone again,

About a month and 16 teams after I started posting the GBL, I have to stop for 4 weeks. I am going away to sleep away camp and I won't have Internet access for the four weeks that I am there. I will start to work on the Pacific Division and put the finishing touches on the Caribbean Division while I'm there. This thread will probably fall to page 4 or 5 while I'm gone, but there's a chance that Whittier will go back and start posting the computer updated versions of the teams I've done so far. I hope some of you have been enjoying this thread even though you haven't commented. I would love to hear that other people are enjoying this thread becuase I have out a lot of hard work into the GBL. I am excited to come back from camp and start posting the Caribbean Division becuase they (especially the uniforms) are looking really nice. Thank you! Have a good 4th of July.

That's so funny, because I was about to post on this thread to tell you that I wouldn't be able to give C&C for the next 4 weeks due to sleepaway camp. I expect we will return around the same time, so I will be happy to give C&C when we both return. Have fun at camp!

Cohenj.png

That's so funny, because I was about to post on this thread to tell you that I wouldn't be able to give C&C for the next 4 weeks due to sleepaway camp. I expect we will return around the same time, so I will be happy to give C&C when we both return. Have fun at camp!

Tht made me giggle

Just so folks know, my posting .svg versions all depends on the timing of getting my new computer. There have been some unexpected complications that I'm trying to iron out.

Have fun at camp, you guys.

rATMcmK.png

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I'm back from camp and I had great time. I did not get much work done on the Pacific Division, but I now present to you, the Caribbean Division!

The Caribbean Division is the spirit of the GBL. One or two teams per country cause intense rivalries and fan support equal to European National soccer teams. The Caribbean Division had 3 of the original teams in San Juan, Santo Domingo and Caracas. The nations of Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, and Venezuela battled yearly before the GBL was formed in the Caribbean Series and the rivalries carried into the GBL. In addition, Santiago, the second largest city in Cuba, has fans that have only known rooting for one team- the Cuban National team, but now root for "Cuba's other team." (In reference to the Havana Reds) Cancun represents Mexico, another participant in the Caribbean Series, in the Caribbean Division. Panama City and Managua create a heated rivalry in Central America. Lastly, Maracaibo, the second largest city in Venezuela, is on Lake Maracaibo, the source of Venezuela's immense oil wealth. The Caribbean Division!

Caracas Crocs

Cancun Breeze

Managua Mudsliders

Maracaibo Suns

Panama City Mosquitoes

San Juan Sharks

Santo Domingo Diablos

Santiago Barracudas

The San Juan Sharks are one of the GBL's original teams. The MLB's refusal to expand to Puerto Rico in the early 2020s was one of the original motivations for a separate, international baseball league. When referring to a possible MLB team in San Juan, people would call them "the Sharks." The name became associated with Puerto Rico and baseball, so the GBL decided to keep the name. The Sharks use a simple navy, red, and white color scheme, something that is overdone in the MLB, but is a classy change from bright colors in the GBL. Enjoy! I'm glad to be back and I would love to be welcomed back with some C&C!

SanJuanSharks.png

Hey Philsphan, just got back from camp myself. San Juan looks really good for the most part, just a couple suggestions on the alternate. Not loving the different colored pinstripes, I think it makes the jersey look too crowded. Secondly, I like that the alt hat is red, but I would stick with your SJ monigram rather than just the S.

Cohenj.png

Hey, welcome back! I got my new computer, but Inkscape has been *really* buggy for me. Going to get started on your stuff, though, asap.

The problem with having alternating red and blue pinstripes is that the two colours together really compete against each other. If that uniform were seen on TV, it would not read very well at all, there would be too much dissonance, esp from further away.

rATMcmK.png

OK... So, I know that the alt doesn't look good and is crowded but I think I'm going to keep it. It is so original and nothing like anything ever seen before. Now there may be a reason that it's never been seen before (won't look good on TV) and I want to keep this series as realistic as possible but I'm going to make an exception for that jersey. I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm ignoring your C&C, but I really thought you guys would like that jersey for its creativity. I will change the hat to SJ though. Thank you for bearing with me and I will probably post the next concept tonight.

Archived