Race Track Concepts

raysox

Taking a break from Yakball to do something different!

I've gotten super into F1 this season. One thing that is very cool is the diversity of the tracks. Only Spain has more than 1 race in their country, out of 20 races on the schedule. Each track is different. Tracks like Monaco and Abu Dhabi are tight and technical. Then tracks like Montreal and Melbourne are loose and open.

So I've been sketching a bunch of tracks on AP notes, and math homework just being bored. Some actually look pretty cool. I drew one on my AP Human Geography notes that made me step back. It was my favorite one I'd done. So I took the time to draw it out on inkscape and bring it to life. I actually changed it some since I drew it, but I kept the basic shape.

tumblr_m4egzcH8x61qe2dhgo1_500.png

Track 1: Dutch International Circuit

As far as I know, the Netherlands doesn't have a great new circuit. There hasn't been one on the schedule for some time, too. So because orange and light blue went together I put this track there. Here is my track. I might make a logo, who knows.

• Black- Track
  • Green- Grass
  • Light Blue- Run off area
  • Sand- sand pits
  • Orange- Seating
  • Tan- Overhang
  • Dark Grey- Buildings
  • Light Grey- Open area

Holland.png

Go down the straight with the pits on your right, and the biggest grandstand on the left into the chicane. After that, you go strait to turn 3, a hard right hander that shoots you off at an angle for turn 4. Another long straight away to a tight turn 4, then around a 225 degree turn around the spotter's tower overlooking the track. Exit turn 5, and onto the strait away that brings you to turn 6. Turn 6 has 4 different apexes to turn on. A slow right hander into a left hander at turn 8. Then a sharp 2 turn corner. A slow curve to the right, and a slow corner for turn 11. A turn where you don't have to slow brings you strait to another chicane. That will shoot you off into the last turn, and you've completed a lap at my track.

I really like the reverse parabolica style turn 11 but on those kinks make them into a chicane b/c if the object is to slow them down that will not do the job

Racing2.png

CapitalCanuck.png

Five-lights.blogspot.com - my Motorsports Blog

Interesting idea for concepts, I like it! I would offer a few suggestions:

- The Pit entrance should be a little further into the straightaway before the curve. Though most drivers would be outside due to following the apex of the corner entry, having drivers brake suddenly and dive inside could spell disaster entering the final turn.

- I'd move the grandstand between Turns 3 & 4 to the inside of the track, giving the fans a view of action from Turns 3-8, and move the grandstand at Turns 6 & 7 to the straightaway after Turn 6 to give them more of a broader view, instead of the limited views of Turns 6 & 7...

Other than that, well, unique thought out concept! At the very least, i'd also want to see a logo concept for the track to accompany the track design also...

Thanks fellas.

CC- I'm not sure exactly what you're saying, maybe it's the turn number confusion. My update will have numbers.

CDixon- Thanks for the suggestions. I actually like both of them. Moving the second one actually makes more sense. The 3rd one is based off of one in Montreal, but yeah I can move that one for sure!

Also a logo will be added.

Will we be seeing track or race logos? How about racing teams? This is a very interesting and new idea for concepts and I'm exciting to see where this goes even though I am not into Car racing.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't see That you had said you would be making logos

I really like the reverse parabolica style turn 11 but on those kinks make them into a chicane b/c if the object is to slow them down that will not do the job

I was wondering if it was modeled after the turn 10 kink complex in Singapore? Which Im not the biggest fan of on that track. Here on the whole it looks like a solid track layout, I agree about moving the pit in closer to the entrance of the last turn and maybe increasing the number of grandstands around the circuit, but on the whole nice job.

Well to be fair, I absolutely hate Monza :P

I hear that though, you're saying just round it off? Originally, I had a long back strait with a chicane about where turn 7 is.

no what i ment was i like that alot but change 13-15 into a 90-90 turn such as monza turn 1

Racing2.png

CapitalCanuck.png

Five-lights.blogspot.com - my Motorsports Blog

FinlandLogo.png

Track 2: Circuit of Scandinavia

The home of Kimi Raikkonen, Mika Hakkinen, and Heikki Kovalainen doesn't have a track, all without ever hosting a F1 event. I used the colors of the flag for the skirting and stands.

Finland.png

Coming down the front stretch, the driver takes an easy left right hand turn into a sharp left hander. Then, onto the gas up to a tight hair pin for turn 3. A quick S, down a strait, and into turn 6 and 7. Several S bends going both ways brings you to a bus stop before the hairpin turn 15. An open left hander, and down the signature part of the track. A gigantic right turn that will test your engine. The stretch leads you to a medium right handed turn, then a hairpin. A quick right will bring you to the pit lane opening, and a right hand turn that will shoot you off down the front stretch, and that is a lap at my circuit!

For your circuit in the Netherlands, I like a lot of it but there are some problems that I see. First of all, turns one and two could produce racing like they have at the Indy Sao Paulo 300. There is a turn almost just like that (abit sharper) and it always seems to cause a bottleneck that causes the yellow to fly. Turn five is probably the signature of the track, but it's probably going to cause the tires to wear thin (not such a bad thing though IMO). Turns 13,14,and 15 are not needed as cars will take it flat. Otherwise that is a neat track; the grandstand near turns 3, 4, and 5 would be great vantage points.

The Finnish track looks really fun to, especially with that long backstretch between 16 and 17. Passing zones in 3, 15, 18, and 20 look really good, but this track might need some elevation to make it a bit more exciting. This is a great series that you are starting and I'm looking forward to some of your other tracks.

Yes! I used to do these all the time when I was a kid (for NASCAR, though).

Both tracks look really nice. The upper right portion of the Netherlands track is pretty sweet, and I love the giant curved backstretch on the Scandinavian track.

Can't wait to see more!

Archived