NFL Lonely Alts

Discrim

You've been there. You have this great idea for a third jersey, yet you don't really want to put out a home or away set that would basically be the same as the real life set. "Lonely Alt" is simply the name I gave to the situation. I kick off the NFL edition with the Bears

Chicago flag alt

chibearsalt1.png

Of course, the Bears don't use powder blue in any capacity, and current NFL rules prevent teams from using a color in a third that is not used in the home or away uniform. On the jersey sleeves, the four stars replace the middle stripe.

Bears again

chibearsalt2.png

not sure what to call it, if anything, I've simply had the idea in my head for a while and finally got around to applying it to a concept. Despite the noticeably different appearance, I'd envisioned the shoulder stripe and cuff both having the three stripes in cutoff vertical form.

from the graveyard: Houston Oilers "Black Gold"

houoilersalt.png

this one's been done for a few weeks, actually. Essentially, this is a liberal use of faux gradient to give off the appearance of a helmet and jersey drenched in oil (but not the numbers...those gotta be legible, after all).

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I think the first Bears alt is really cool and I didn't know that the NFL has restrictions on third jerseys. For the oilers one, try to make the gradient between black and white and little less sudden, more drawn out. Otherwise, great concepts

Discrim, you are :censored: ing brilliant, a veritable legend. Fantastic work as always, sir.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Dang that Oilers one is fantastic! And I really like the design on the first Bears set. If the orange was changed to red that's on the Chicago city flag and the pants were white with the same pattern as on the sleeves, and of course the city flag, this would make for an awesome uniform for a Chicago (non-Bear related) football team.

Good work as always Discrim, I love your out-of-the-box thinking.

Love the bears first one the second one kinda screams lawsuit from Adidas (thre vertical stripes) and the oilers one is genius

And sorry if I'm supposed to know this but what does gsh stand for?

The Bears added it in 1984 in memory of George Stanley Halas

Thanks for all the comments so far, here goes another one that, barring a rule amendment or two, wouldn't exist IRL but I'd love for something like this to have a shot at existing...Arizona Cardinals, copper edition

azcardsalt.png

As I've mentioned elsewhere, the sleeves on the Cards' real jerseys are supposed to resemble the AZ flag somewhat. They do a rather poor job of bearing any resemblance. I figured a modified Northwestern stripe would work here, a la the Arizona Rattlers. In place of a star, the running cardinal I used most recently in the College to Pro thread makes a reappearance, donning a copper jersey in this case. I considered bringing back an older pant set, as the piping/swoosh really doesn't fit with this jersey IMO. Only problem was whether to go with the St. Louis/early AZ or late 90s/early 00s white pants...though I felt the former would've been a better fit here, I went with a recolored version of the current pants.

As far as the color goes, I was originally gonna go with yellow, but copper simply called out to me. It simply made more sense, given the state.

2016cubscreamsig.png

Heh, the Cards uni got no comments so far...eh well, here goes the Chiefs

kcchiefsalt1.png

Several years ago, I'd been introduced to the Australian football preseason jumper. Exactly what it says on the tin, a jumper (jersey) worn by an Australian football team in the preseason competition. Combine that inspiration with America's closest equivalents, the NBA summer leagues and baseball spring training, and you had a series I'd done several springs ago dubbed the NFL Summer League. Basically, jumble the divisions, each 4-team group was in a basic central location, and give em all a preseason-only uniform. I remember I had the Packers, Saints, Chiefs and somebody else (I wanna say the Jags, but I don't remember exactly, it's been so long) in the Cheese League, and while I put out something Atlanta Thrasher-like for the Pack, the Chiefs basically had the above design, only with black numbers, no shadow, and a different font. Essentially, I've wanted to revisit this one for a long time.

For nostalgia's sake, a black numbered version

kcchiefsalt2.png

2016cubscreamsig.png

Oops, I forgot to comment on this when you put up Arizona. I LOVE the copper uniforms. I was really excited when the Cardinals were changing logos and there was a rumor of a copper helmet, but alas they went with white. The "running Cardinal" logo is cool too; a nice little homage to the old STL football Cardinals but now associated with Arizona because of the excellent execution of it on the state flag.

I like the Chiefs. It's nothing too out-of-the-box, but I think it works for them. The only think I don't care for are the numbers. The first one's numbers are better than the second's, but not by much.

Great series so far!

• 3 months later...

Aint posted anything in this thread since May, but may as well do so now that I got something new...Redskins gold alt

making a guest appearance: the modernized spear from the infamous PDF file full of ugly proposed Redskins unis, the full sets of which all include a black alt, as well as a lot of black on the burgundy jerseys (for those of you who've never seen it, IIRC it was mentioned at Uni Watch once...)

redskinsalt_zps3c058533.png

2016cubscreamsig.png

Aint posted anything in this thread since May, but may as well do so now that I got something new...Redskins gold alt

making a guest appearance: the modernized spear from the infamous PDF file full of ugly proposed Redskins unis, the full sets of which all include a black alt, as well as a lot of black on the burgundy jerseys (for those of you who've never seen it, IIRC it was mentioned at Uni Watch once...)

redskinsalt_zps3c058533.png

I feel like this is stuck in 2002, to be perfectly honest. I think its time you update your template to a pro combat cut to more accurately portray what could be worn on the field in today's NFL. If you decide not to do that then at least ditch the piping on the shoulders. Also the spearhead on the pants is too rounded and too high up (the pole of the spear should be longer, head further down.) I do like what you did with the "R" and the feather though!

I can't recall who did the feathered R, but it wasn't me...I would've mentioned it before, but the ol' pc was lagging at the time and it took damn near an hour for me to complete a post that should've only taken five minutes tops. :cursing: I was more than a lil bit irritated by that point.

2016cubscreamsig.png

Archived