Will the Blue Jays use a Canada Day uniform this season?

Ark

Why can't they have a Canada Day game every year and wear spectacular white jerseys instead of ugly red jerseys? I don't insist on American teams wearing American flag designs like some old lady's windbreaker.

Oh and to clarify I only meant that Toronto was the 51st state. Maybe some of them need the Canada Day jersey to remind themselves.

When I say baseball is a sport wrapped up in American patriotism I'm not even talking about the stars and stripes caps, or the Padres' camo jerseys or anything like that. All I'm saying is that when I think baseball, I think of a sport that is quintessentially American. Which is totally fine. It's just that I think it makes the need for the lone Canadian team in the Majors to embrace its Canadian-ness all the more apparent, jokes about Toronto aside.

The Canada Day jerseys, though? I used to love the idea of them, but the more I thought about them the more I came to see them as just the Canadian equivalent of the stars and stripes pandering (that, and I liked them for nothing else then introducing a little bit colour into their set during the graphite years). The Jays' current set hits the right balance between blue and red, and the right size of the leaf in proportion to everything else.

While I don't like the red Canada Day set, I can see why some do. They're not going anywhere, for better or worse.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While Bubba's post kind of does read like a textbook example of why Toronto has the reputation it does

You realize that the Newfie/Québec remark was written in jest, right?

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

While Bubba's post kind of does read like a textbook example of why Toronto has the reputation it does

You realize that the Newfie/Québec remark was written in jest, right?

Yeah. Still, that's not easy to on the inner webs, and the fact that some people in the GTA honestly do speak like that gives the area the reputation that it has.

Yeah, black (their previous primary color) works as a tertiary color for a Canada Day set but blue doesn't.

I don't get the hate for red, but I'm hoping for a red and white set next time.

I wish MLB would make Toronto exempt from the "Stars and Stripes" type of hats, so they can just make their own custom ones for Canada Day jerseys.

I completely agree... they could wear them on their own holidays, instead of being forced to wear them on US holidays

Archived