Will the Blue Jays use a Canada Day uniform this season?

Ark

That jersey looks gorgeous. I agree that blue inner lining and sleeve piping would look nice but this is so perfect in every other way so I'm not complaining.

A tad disappointing that they are using the stars and stripes cap though. A red cap would have been better. And a Blue Jays fan might shoot me for this, but on the topic of the cap I would have loved to see the home cap (or at least an alt) with the white panel on the front.

Quite the opposite. The 80s white front-paneled cap is extremely popular among fans. Until the new suiff came out, it was by far the most popular cap.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That jersey looks gorgeous. I agree that blue inner lining and sleeve piping would look nice but this is so perfect in every other way so I'm not complaining.

A tad disappointing that they are using the stars and stripes cap though. A red cap would have been better. And a Blue Jays fan might shoot me for this, but on the topic of the cap I would have loved to see the home cap (or at least an alt) with the white panel on the front.

Quite the opposite. The 80s white front-paneled cap is extremely popular among fans. Until the new suiff came out, it was by far the most popular cap.

Agreed. I would love to see a white front panel cap used with the home jersey.

img10975360.jpg

The Majestic logo is on the right sleeve. Can't tell but I guess this isn't an authentic on field

Some gooofiness going on here. The two big pictures have the real team tagging. The pic from the back has the flag patch visible on the left sleeve. The patch close-up is of the right sleeve. It's clearly not the same jersey in the 3 pictures.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

The pictures are taken from both an Authentic, and a Replica jersey. The Authentic jersey has the Canadian flag and Majestic logo on the left sleeve, while the Replica has the Majestic logo and flag on the right side. Why? I'm not sure. I assume its just one more difference to help people differentiate between the authentic, and replica version.

The pictures are taken from both an Authentic, and a Replica jersey. The Authentic jersey has the Canadian flag and Majestic logo on the left sleeve, while the Replica has the Majestic logo and flag on the right side. Why? I'm not sure. I assume its just one more difference to help people differentiate between the authentic, and replica version.

So it makes no sense since the replica won't look like the authentic

Go A's!

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't like these. They go in the same pile of unnecessary that the S&S hats go in.

I don't like them either. I don't understand the "oh my god they're beautiful" fawning. I don't care if Toronto is in Canada; the Blue Jays shouldn't wear red. What is this, their no-contact practice uniform?

It's just as dumb--if not worse--than the Stars & Stripes crap, which is at least restricted to the hats.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't like these. They go in the same pile of unnecessary that the S&S hats go in.

I don't like them either. I don't understand the "oh my god they're beautiful" fawning. I don't care if Toronto is in Canada; the Blue Jays shouldn't wear red. What is this, their no-contact practice uniform?

It's just as dumb--if not worse--than the Stars & Stripes crap, which is at least restricted to the hats.

Red is already in the Blue Jays color scheme, so I don't think it's that egregious to have a one-time red alternate jersey.

When you're branding yourself as Canada's team, I think you have every right to do so. If there were three or four other Canadian clubs, I'd be opposed to it, but between that and the Brett Lawrie commercials they air every two seconds during games, it's obvious that this is a marketing thing, and one that I'm a fan of.

Well, you like anything that's Canada Canada Canada. I've caught you defending Nickelback.

The Blue Jays use red exactly the same way the Winnipeg Jets do. I wouldn't want the Jets to start wearing red sweaters. You can be Canada's Team without doing a stunt like this that drastically compromises the integrity of the design, the team name, and player identification (pretending everyone's name is CANADA is as bad as everyone wearing 42 on Jackie Robinson Day). They have a maple leaf on them already. There. They're Canada's team. They don't need their no-contact jerseys to sledgehammer us with it even further. Their new uniforms are a blessing after eight years of their craphite; I wouldn't take a single game away from them to wear anything else.

You're making it seem like it's a full-time alternate they wear 40 times a year. It's a one-off thing they wear one out of 162 games. July 1st with the Blue Jays consists of patriotic anthem-playing, outdoor festivities, excessive pre-game ceremonies featuring Mounties, and of course, red jerseys. Hell, last year they played recordings on the JumboTron of the players saying "aboot" and "eh". This year I'm sure they'll shove Brett Lawrie down the fans' throats and play those Lawrie-fied Canadian Baseball commercials they oh-so love every stoppage of play. I'm half expecting them to put "Lawrie" on the back of every jersey.

My point? It's a fun one-off as part of the Canada Day festivities. Let the fans enjoy it and let those lonely Newfies and Québec fans feel like Toronto cares about them.

It's a fun one-off as part of the Canada Day festivities. Let the fans enjoy it and let those lonely Newfies and Québec fans feel like Toronto cares about them.

See, Toronto's proclivity for burrowing up its own ass like this is precisely why the 51st State's team has no business getting wrapped up in pan-Canadian jingoism.

It's a fun one-off as part of the Canada Day festivities. Let the fans enjoy it and let those lonely Newfies and Québec fans feel like Toronto cares about them.

See, Toronto's proclivity for burrowing up its own ass like this is precisely why the 51st State's team has no business getting wrapped up in pan-Canadian jingoism.

Jingoism is extreme patriotism in the form of aggressive foreign policy. In practice, it is a country's advocation of the use of threats or actual force against other countries in order to safeguard what it perceives as its national interests. Colloquially, it refers to excessive bias in judging one's own country as superior to others ? an extreme type of nationalism.

I see no:

• extreme patriotism
  • agressive foreign policy
  • threats
  • force
  • judging of Canada as superior
  • extreme nationalism

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

While Bubba's post kind of does read like a textbook example of why Toronto has the reputation it does, it's a mistake to assume that it ISN'T the economic centre of the country and that it isn't the cultural centre of the English portion if the country, which for what it's worth spans around 8 and 3/4 out of the ten provinces.

Sorry we can't have the Jays and Expos play each other every Canada Day trading home games each year to get the Québécois in on the festivities (which to be perfectly honest would be rather awesome), but the Expos are gone. So the Jays home games on July 1st are the most we get when it comes to celebrating Canadian patriotism in a sport wrapped up in the American variety.

Why can't they have a Canada Day game every year and wear spectacular white jerseys instead of ugly red jerseys? I don't insist on American teams wearing American flag designs like some old lady's windbreaker.

Oh and to clarify I only meant that Toronto was the 51st state. Maybe some of them need the Canada Day jersey to remind themselves.

Archived