Staples Center Transformation Video

nash61

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Absolutely LOVE seeing videos like this. That would be quite a fun job also, for most sports fanatics.

I've always wondered why crews have to "drop" the scoreboard. Lighting? Signage? Just to relieve the stress on the structure?

But again, love seeing these types of videos...

Haha. I do actually have that job. It is pretty fun, a lot of manual labor, so don't need to go to the gym much. Quick changes like in the video are pretty intense and fast paced. What seemed like it was dragging the night before goes together in a snap that day. I can empathize with their crew, as I've had many weekends like that. I'm not sure about the dropping of the scoreboards, cause we don't do that. If I was to guess, signage would be the best one. They are probably changing the various team logos, perhaps doing routine maintenance. Our courts actually go together a lot differently then theirs do and our riser system is much different as well. Just this past February we did a Marquette basketball to Admirals hockey with post game concert in like an hour and 15 minutes, it was nuts.

packchampionslfroh.png

Absolutely LOVE seeing videos like this. That would be quite a fun job also, for most sports fanatics.

I've always wondered why crews have to "drop" the scoreboard. Lighting? Signage? Just to relieve the stress on the structure?

I think its to change the signs that are on the scoreboard

I always loved sitting in the Nutter Center in Dayton after a Wright State basketball game and watch them switch it to the Dayton Bombers hockey rink

Bucknut40.pngOhioStatebanner.png

#RaiderUp

Twitter-@R_Redinger4 My Blog-Southwest Ohio Football

NCFAF-Wheeling Coal Miners,NCFAF-FCS Lake Erie Shoremen, NCFAB-Wheeling Coal Miners

How long does it actually take to make the transition?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Most likely there were team signs (with most likely a sponsor's name also on there) under the Jumbotron.

The NHL and NBA also have different height requirements for scoreboards above the playing surface.

How long does it actually take to make the transition?

Hockey-to-basketball takes about 2.5 hours if both are played on the same day. There's a lot that goes into taking care of the ice post-game. It's usually double-cleaned, as well as making a full lap (or two) around the ice along the boards to chisel the snow/ice buildup.

Basketball-to-hockey takes a little under two hours. It's easier and quicker to remove all the basketball-related items (court, temporary seats, scorer's tables, etc.) and remove the ice-protecting gear than it is to put them out.

Most dual-sport venues leave over half the hockey boards in place for basketball games.

Of course, on these days when a venue has a doubleheader, they increase the number of folks in their conversion crew.

Why is one of the tunnels for basketball covered with seats for hockey?

Usually the seats that roll in & out come in different configurations to fit the different playing surfaces. To get the seats that roll all the way out behind the basket the hockey seats are retracted. Removing those basketball seats allow the hockey seats to then come out to "hug" the boards. That's why you'll see the floors of the lower seats at hockey rinks made of aluminum and not concrete.

That's the Meadowlands going from Giants to Jets:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1alr6jG0YyY

And MSG from Knicks to Rangers:

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I'm just glad we can stop hearing SportsCenter drone on about #LAMadness (or whatever hashtag they were using) and having them keep playing those arena transformations videos and talking about how much the staff there had to work. We get it, they had a lot of games going on in a span of a few days.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Archived