St. Louis Rottweilers?

Ez Street

May 30, 2004 - Indianapolis, IN. Joe Newman, ABA Co-Founder, today announced that the 23rd expansion team in the record-setting pro basketball league will be in St. Louis, Missouri, a city well-familiar with the exciting style of ABA professional basketball. According to Newman, "St. Louis was one of our original target cities - it's a great city. We were looking for the right group to do SL and we've found it. We're thrilled to add St. Louis and to create a fabulous rivalry with Little Rock (Arkansas Rimrockers) and Kansas City (Kansas City Knights)."

Team Co-owner and President Larry Stricklan is well known to people in St. Louis. Born and raised in East St. Louis, after graduating from Assumption High School with academic honors, and as a prep All american football and baseball player, he opted not to play professional baseball and attended the University of Louisville on a full athletic scholarship. There, he continued his academic studies in Finance, and again achieved All American status as a football player. After a short period in the NFL, Stricklan joined the U.S. Corrections Department as Assistant Business Manager and shortly thereafter joined the Kentucky State Police. He is currently serving with the Kentucky Governor's Protection Detail. In addition, the multi-talented co-owner founded EKUDELL,INC. and A & G Consulting - and has experience in investigations, due diligence, intermediary communications, project management, safety, financing, staffing, property evaluation, business planning and development and a variety of contract negotiating skills.

Stricklan stated, "I love business and I love sports. The opportunity to use my skills and knowledge of both in this new venture is exciting indeed. We have a very good group assembled with a wide variety of skills and are committed to making the St. Louis Rottweilers one of the premiere organizations in the league. The midwestern division should be very competitive."

He continued, "We also have much to do and many announcements to make in the next couple of weeks, including venue, staffing, tryouts, coaches, and more. Keep your eye on the ABA website (www.abalive.com). Or contact me directly at sssports@hotmail.com or (502) 750-4814.

I've lived in the St. Louis area (or within close proximity) for 33 of my 36 years and have been in the business community for 11 years and I have never heard of Larry Stricklan or any of his businesses. How they can call him "well known" is indicative of the credibility the ABA should be given. And if St. Louis was an original target city (I beleive the ABA is entering its 5th or 6th season), then how come it's taken until the 23rd expansion team is awarded to find an owner? Hmmm, could it be because no other businesspeople think this is a worthwhile investment?

The St. Louis Swarm had an NBA caliber coach (Bernie Bickerstaff), a solid team that actually stuck together for 2 years, played in a brand new, 10,000 seat arena and won 2 league titles, including one season where they played against more experienced CBA teams -- AND THEY FAILED. Why? Because minor league basketball doesn't sell in St. Louis. St. Louis is a baseball town and that's why the 2 area Frontier League clubs do nicely. The River Otters hockey team is well funded by hockey enthusiasts and that's why they do well. I fail to see how an unknown businessman who is apparently a government security guard in Kentucky is going to find the magic that the Swarm were unable to find in order to make minor league hoops successful in the Gateway.

Does the ABA have any affiliation with the NBA today?

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Are there any cities left where the ABA hasn't expanded?  It's like Starbucks.

You mean, Fourbucks?

What's the matter, you can't afford their coffee?

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Are there any cities left where the ABA hasn't expanded? It's like Starbucks.

You mean, Fourbucks?

What's the matter, cat got your tact?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Keepin' it real... I like the name. Too bad they'll probably f-up the logo...

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

Are there any cities left where the ABA hasn't expanded? It's like Starbucks.

You mean, Fourbucks?

No, it's just horribly overpriced.

DING DING DING! Right.

'I got five bucks in my pocket, probably more than you, poor person' Strong Bad's science project, The Affects of Gasoline on Fire.

I remember the Swarm. Have a pennant in my room. Went to their first game ever. An OT thriller.

But, while I really do think if the NBA can pull their head out, a team in St. Louis would be supported, I don't think this ABA team is gonna do anything.

Do you really think St. Louis could support four teams though? You probably think that the same way I think Milwaukee could support an NHL team, but let's be realistic. The smallest 4-team market is Denver at #18, and even that's a little misleading since pretty much everyone in the Mountain Time Zone is a fan of the Denver teams.

Don't take that as a knock on STL itself though. I will say they deserve a shot at an NBA team a lot more than some of these cities that have them (New Orleans, Orlando, Atlanta, Memphis... I'm lookin' at y'all)...

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

As far as an NBA team, isn't there some issue with the former owners of the Spirits? I seem to recall reading that in the merger, they were granted the rights to the St. Louis market in perpetuity, and a share in merchandise and revenue. So they get more money not fielding a team than they would putting one on the court.

I don't know if St. Louis can support four major-league teams. We'll see how they do with the ABA for a start.

"Keepin' it real... I like the name. Too bad they'll probably f-up the logo..."

...just like the rest of 'em, they probably will B, B and S at the same time. [NOTE: Standard CCSLC ABA Expansion Logo cliche.]

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

"Keepin' it real... I like the name.  Too bad they'll probably f-up the logo..."

...just like the rest of 'em, they probably will B, B and S at the same time. [NOTE: Standard CCSLC ABA Expansion Logo cliche.]

No, it's YOUR cliché.

Back on topic . . . a story was published in today's St. Louis Post Dispatch stating that the IBL will be starting back up in 2005 and the league has placed a franchise in St. Louis. That would make 3 minor league basketball teams in St. Louis (ABA, USBL and IBL). I see this as a preemptive strike against the Rottweillers. If the Swarm are coming back, there's no hope for the Rottweillers (even thought it's doubtful they'll have any of the players from their 2 championship teams back - and they certainly won't have their old coach Bernie Bickerstaff).

As far as an NBA team, isn't there some issue with the former owners of the Spirits? I seem to recall reading that in the merger, they were granted the rights to the St. Louis market in perpetuity, and a share in merchandise and revenue. So they get more money not fielding a team than they would putting one on the court.

I don't know if St. Louis can support four major-league teams. We'll see how they do with the ABA for a start.

The old owners set themselves up one heck of a deal with the NBA on TV money or something like that, but I don't believe their is any major problem with St. Louis rights.

As for four teams, I can't gurantee anything, but I do believe we can support four teams.

It's not fair to base how we handle this ABA team, or any other minor league basketball team as to see if we deserve an NBA team. I mean, how many people really wanna go see one of these ABA games regardless of what other teams are there? It might be fair to judge whether or not a city deserves an NHL team based on an AHL teams fan drawing, but not NBA based on any unrelated minor league team.

Archived