Football map

dakotapalm

Here's a map I'd made a while back.

OfficialBailey7 posted his, and it reminded me that I had made this map during the bowl season as I was making the helmet signature nameplate things. I think it turned out pretty well, although if I were to do this again, I might do so with a map that has topography on it. I love geography, I love art/design, and I love football, so this combined several things that are favorites of mine.

USA.jpg

Here's a map I'd made a while back.

OfficialBailey7 posted his, and it reminded me that I had made this map during the bowl season as I was making the helmet signature nameplate things. I think it turned out pretty well, although if I were to do this again, I might do so with a map that has topography on it. I love geography, I love art/design, and I love football, so this combined several things that are favorites of mine.

USA.jpg

Hey great concept too, but I have to say that some of the accuracies on the map are off.

For example: Iowa Hawkeyes should be in Eastern Iowa, Iowa State should be in Central Iowa, and the Minnesota Golden Gophers should be in "mid-south" Minnesota in the Twin Cities area. I don't know about all of the other schools, but I'm sure a few are a little bit off too.

Nice idea but a few of them are inaccurate. Mizzou and Rutgers are two that come to mind.

How so? Both are on the state in which they reside. If you are speaking about the new Missouri helmet, I made this before that was created. As I said, I made it during bowl season.

I'm sure he's talking about where the helmets are placed in the state precisely. You should place the helmets on the city where the school is, not just in the state itself just because they're from there.

Nice idea but a few of them are inaccurate. Mizzou and Rutgers are two that come to mind.

How so? Both are on the state in which they reside. If you are speaking about the new Missouri helmet, I made this before that was created. As I said, I made it during bowl season.

I'm sure he's talking about where the helmets are placed in the state precisely. You should place the helmets on the city where the school is, not just in the state itself just because they're from there.

Nah, I just read over the part where he said he had made this furring bowl season. Sorry for my ignorance.

2043050vl19qK6.gif

Michigan State, Memphis, New Mexico, and SDSU are missing, too.

You also run into an issue up north by adding NDSU, USD, and UM and leaving out South Dakota State, Montana State, and North Dakota. If you're gonna include FCS, the map just got a WHOLE lot more crowded :)

Cool idea, but I think the helmets take up too much space to get the geography correct. As a result you got UCLA in San Diego and UofA east of Tucson, ect. Maybe making the helmets a bit smaller would work.

I love geography, I love art/design, and I love football, so this combined several things that are favorites of mine.

This is so funny, becuase I am a huge geography nerd. I won my school's geography bee 3 times and made it to the Pennsylvania State Geo Bee 3 times too. Sadly, I never won, but it was still cool. And actually the reason I got into geography is I started making maps like this one with sports teams on it.

Cool idea, but I think the helmets take up too much space to get the geography correct. As a result you got UCLA in San Diego and UofA east of Tucson, ect. Maybe making the helmets a bit smaller would work.

Yep, I think this is why everyone is thinking there is a problem. My view when I made it was that I wanted the helmets in the schools' approximate location, primarily somewhere in the state, but after that, it didn't matter all that much. So, since I need to be more precise, should the facemask mark the location for the college town, or the ear hole? :P

I'm working on a new one, which I'll post later.

As far as the FCS teams, I just wanted at least one helmet in each of the contiguous 48. That's why USD, UM and NDSU made the cut and not Wofford, App State, etc. Alabama having a 12? That's for Joe Namath and Kenny Stabler. The reason the Sun Belt schools are not included? No space, again. I prioritized UF, FSU and Miami over UCF, FAU, and FIU. And yes, I should add a lot more schools (which I will, next time) but as I made each of these individually, I did not have all of the helmets made at the time. I still do not have all 120 made, but I'm closer now than I was during the bowl season.

Thanks for all the input.

I love geography, I love art/design, and I love football, so this combined several things that are favorites of mine.

This is so funny, becuase I am a huge geography nerd. I won my school's geography bee 3 times and made it to the Pennsylvania State Geo Bee 3 times too. Sadly, I never won, but it was still cool. And actually the reason I got into geography is I started making maps like this one with sports teams on it.

That's really funny. When I was in middle school, I won my school's geography bee 3 times and went on to the New York State Geography Bee all 3 times. I never won either, but maps like this are interesting to me because they combine geography and sports. This is a pretty cool map.

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

That's really funny. When I was in middle school, I won my school's geography bee 3 times and went on to the New York State Geography Bee all 3 times. I never won either, but maps like this are interesting to me because they combine geography and sports. This is a pretty cool map.

Indiana State Geography Bee two times, myself. I didn't make it to the finals, though.

Archived