Saint vs Falcons dispute over statue - Where is the class?

You hit it right on. The celebration is of Gleason and what he meant to the Saints and the community. It didn't matter if the game was against the Falcons, Bears or Jets. The opponent didn't matter. The only thing that mattered was that the block happened and that moment will be forever remembered for that and the impact of it

Go A's!

I appreciate the fans wanting to rub it in a little bit, but if the team and the league say no then that's it. The only reason these fans would have a right to complain is if the Falcons agreed to this then pulled their support. The Saint fans are the ones showing no class in this one.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Works much better with an anonymized opponent. It's a Saints statue, and while it's obvious to most that the Saint is "winning" the scenario depicted, showing both teams could confuse things. The statue is of the Saint's success and rebirth, not of the Saints beating the Falcons.

It's a ridiculous scrap but its New Orleans where the ridiculous is common and the NFL where the ordinary is pumped up to outrageous levels. The whole idea around this statue is silly.

Couldn't disagree more, at least with the "it's silly" part. My first Saints game was in 1969 and I was there in '06 for the reopening. I had never heard anything louder in a stadium than the roar when Gleason blocked that punt. I was yelling at my wife and she said she was trying to lip read 'cause she couldn't hear me. Point being that was one of the biggest moments in the team's history. Throw in Gleason's tragic story and you're definitely in statue territory.

I'm not trying to play the "you're not from there so you can't understand" but on the other hand, I wonder why you feel it necessary to try and belittle the city and the statue. What's even richer is that here you are saying the Saints are too big a deal in New Orleans and previously I've had to defend the city when others on this board claimed the team should be moved because there wasn't enough support. :rolleyes:

As far as the Falcons, they were right to refuse. Aside from the opponent being obvious, Saints fans should turn the situation around and consider whether they'd want a Saints player depicted outside the Georgia Dome in a commemoration of some great Falcons moment. I wouldn't.

IMO they should have put a button on the base that you could press and hear Mike Tirico yelling "Look out, breakthrough! A kick block by Steve Gleason! It is scooped and scored by Curtis DeLoatch! Touchdown, Newwww Orrrleans!" :P

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

It's fairly common to leave other teams logos off of statues when an opponent is represented in the statue. It represents a real moment, sure, but it doesn't matter who it happened against. It matters that it happened.

Here's another example:

Mario Lemieux against two anonymous players who were actually New York Islanders.

617882164a3284bb4d18b41c48d7.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived