Vancouver Canucks concept

The_Admiral

Basically, the Canucks have never looked good. At best they've looked plain, at worst, gaudy. The rink logo in green/blue was pretty drab, but not as offensive as the flying V's, which were replaced by the best logo, the skate. Once they figured out gold is bad for home games, they were looking cool until the shark was introduced, which is too close to San Jose and Hartford to be any good. It's just...not good. At all. Add the third jersey and it's hideous.

I came up with a scheme for Vancouver which isn't very original, probably isn't very good, but it's something. I ripped off the Utah Jazz to make a crest that looked as British Columbian as I could make in 5 minutes: mountains, rivers, clear skies, and evergreens. Primary colors would be deep purple, light purple, and sky blue, with some green and grey as secondary highlights where needed. The "VC" logo would be the secondary mark for the shoulders and other merchandise. I just used the NHLuniforms.com template for the sweater, and went with the newer design. I'll try harder the next time.

canucks.JPG

purplecanucks.JPG

VCalternates.JPG

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I hate to be a stickler... but I have to point out a couple things...

When the canucks wore the flying V's, their logo WAS the skate. They just wore it on their sleeves instead. And it wasn't a shark... it was an orca (killer whale). Sorry for pointing it out, I just don't like bad info to be spread around.

Onto the logo... Try making it a bit more abstract. Don't be bound by the simple depictions of mountains, clouds, etc. Maybe try accentuating the jaggedness of the rockies. Make it really "in your face" (like Poochie the rockin dog).. I like the Canucks script across though. Kinda retro but work with it. Keep at it.

I like the starting point for the team's identity - I've always thought that what the Canucks need before anything else is a decent representation of "Canuckdom". This IMHO is much better than rinks, Vs, skates or whale/orca thingies.

But that colour combo is just...eek. I'd ditch the purple and work with the old blue and green combo, maybe with grey/silver as well.

Lose the purple, simplify & tweak the logo--I like the idea behind it...and you have a winner--better than anything they've ever worn, and I do like their original logo...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Thanks for your support. I figured the best identity for Vancouver would be Vancouver, I suppose, and just trying to capture the natural beauty of British Columbia. The colors were hard to come up with, and I figured nobody was using two tones of purple. Now I know why. Maybe at the very least, the VC logo I made is decent.

I also noticed there's a lot of hate for the current Jazz art...I think it's better than the note because it's representing Utah and not New Orleans, and the purple-blue combo is nice. There's no real jazz in Utah. Maybe they could capture Salt Lake City and jazz with a logo combining a saxophone, a mountain range, and the Mormon Temple?

By the way here's some Winnipeg Jets stuff I made a while ago. White pants with navy socks on the road as a side effect of taking the Whiteout too far.

winnipeg_new.JPG

Oh and here were some ideas for Avalnche shoulder logos...in the middle is the foot, flanked by the old Nordiques and Rockies logos in the modern palette.

Avs+shoulders.JPG

ask the capitals.white pants don't work

That's my only comment too, well maybe to add Jets fans may want to see red too--but I like it...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

That Vancouver concept reminds me of the Utah Jazz. Similar colors. similar mountains.

Well, I did say I shamelessly ripped off Utah

I wouldn't mind seeing the Avalanche ditch the yetti foot for a recolored Rockies logo. I probably wouldn't mind the yetti allusion if it were used more, but the only reference to abominal snowmen is the goofy mascot that I don't think they even use anymore.

White pants didn't work. I'd like to see it tried again...

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

I like your jets uniform. The way the home (dark) uniform uses a different set of colours is interesting, kinda like euro football uniforms.

As for the Canucks, I hate to go off like this, but as a die hard fan, the uniform history REALLY bothers me. Theyve never got it right with the uniforms and there have have been a ton of major overhauls that can be described in no other way than "shocking". When I heard they were replacing the black yellow and red uniforms with new ones I thought to myself this is great, they finally have an opportunity to nail a decent uni. We know longer have to suffer the worst look in Pro sports. That of course was before I saw the orca :evil: As such I'm ultra critical of any Canucks uniform concept.

your concept, though less commercial or offensive than the orca, doesnt ease any of the pain and frustration I've suffered. :P

I dont like the wavy lines and don't need mountains on the logo to be reminded that I live amongst them. Put johnny canuck on there and I'll more likely come around. Fans here would identify with that more too. Theyre screaming for a classic, once and for all, defining look. (Just look at the sales for their thowback uniforms this yr #1 out of all the retros.) Forget the wavy lines and ballerina colours. Its johnny canuck rink and stick or bust in my book.

DEATH TO REEBOK

Archived