What makes an effective political poster?

Chawls

(Sigh) Okay, I am fully aware of what political topics cause on this board so before I even introduce the topic, let me state this clearly:

DO NOT ARGUE POLITICS HERE! THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR IT!

Alright, now that we got that out of the way, allow me to set this topic up. I was viewing various politicians facebook pages and amongst the ones I visited was Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson. On his facebook page, he is holding a contest for a Gary Johnson 2012 Poster. You'll see over 100 submissions, each of varying levels of execution and effectiveness. Seeing these submissions and reading the comments on them got me to thinking: What makes an effective political poster?

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

IMO, the two best from that album. Top one is the best.

305087_10150841333054364_1554294060_n.jpg

528113_10150841347309364_67039593_n.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

But what makes a political poster effective, regardless of political affiliation? Font choice? Text placement? Color scheme?

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

But what makes a political poster effective, regardless of political affiliation? Font choice? Text placement? Color scheme?

A lot of the ones I didn't like either had too much text, or looked amateurish. The original Obama poster got it right as well. One word, and a bold image.

220px-Barack_Obama_Hope_poster.jpg

The top "Live Free" poster that I shared accomplishes a very similar thing by limiting the amount of text, but still being memorable.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Definitely simplicity and limited text are keys. If the designer can't look at his work and say "Damn, people are going to remember this!", it's probably a fail.

In the US, pandering to patriotism doesn't hurt, either. :P A couple stars here, a couple stripes there, a slogan that draws to mind American values... it's all good strategy. I think that's why I like that first poster from Nash61's post the best... by emphasizing the 'Live Free' part, they drew a quick and easy parallel between the country's history (1809) and the country as the Libertarian Party wants it.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

The reason the Obama picture works is his image itself is a strong brand. And the "o" mark had become a stong brand by the time that came out. You could do something similar for Romney on his image but probably not on his logo.

Gary Johnson's image is not a brand. You can't use that as the only image cause people really don't know who he is or what he looks like. You need supporting text for any candidate outside the main 2 candidates.

Definitely simplicity and limited text are keys. If the designer can't look at his work and say "Damn, people are going to remember this!", it's probably a fail.

In the US, pandering to patriotism doesn't hurt, either. :P A couple stars here, a couple stripes there, a slogan that draws to mind American values... it's all good strategy. I think that's why I like that first poster from Nash61's post the best... by emphasizing the 'Live Free' part, they drew a quick and easy parallel between the country's history (1809) and the country as the Libertarian Party wants it.

This American has always found political posters of this variety to be mundane, if not disingenuous and pandering.

effective as in getting people to do the call to action, in this case voting for the candidate?

its all that intangible stuff like meaning, message, tone, and emotional feeling of it that gets you to care about it. Obama's HOPE poster was a great piece of art because of those things. it's the optimistic look off towards the distance of a bright future (red on the "east" side suggest a dawn of a new day) representing a unique candidate that liberal voters connected so well with. also being done by Shepard Fairey, a rebellious street artist, has more value than if it came from some big agency like Landor. few know who the artist is, but the style was completely revolutionary in American political ads. coming "from the street" was a risk that worked. and you feel it.

the cherry on top is craftsmanship. the Obama poster is executed so well, its a great composition, it has great color. it wasnt trying to sell you on all that useless American bull :censored: like "freedom" and "liberty" and the stars and striipes. the message was clear, simple, inspiring, new, and powerful. it is the total opposite of that Gary Johnson crap. i wish i could remember who said "if you can make someone cry, laugh, or feel understod you have a good design". it should be emotional. the Obama poster is everything design should be

you might find this interesting: http://harlotofthearts.org/index.php/harlot/article/view/29/18

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

#34 and #35 are the most effective posters out of all of them. #34 shows a lot of information in an organized but polished fashion, while #35 clearly emphasizes the key tenets of Johnson's platform. Both are also very well designed and slick, immediately grabbing the viewer's attention with large bold slogans.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

All of the Obama images the posters, the logo were part of an effective package, but it also was helped that he had a cult of personalty persona, or maybe the posters helped that but to me I need to see the Freedom, America and Liberty images and I never get that from Obama and not to make this political it bothered me personally.

Not a poster but to me this is the perfect campaign slogan and commercial

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

IMO, the two best from that album. Top one is the best.

305087_10150841333054364_1554294060_n.jpg

528113_10150841347309364_67039593_n.jpg

the 2nd one looks like a paper you would see stapled to a light pole for a Dave Coulier comedy gig at the local club.

It does look like a comedy club poster

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived