NFL 100th Anniversary - Finished

hockey week

Love these. Been toying with it myself actually. I think I'd lean more toward logoless helmets since very few teams had them back then, though in some cases it might work all right (Triangles). I'd especially avoid it if you already have the same logo on the chest.

Lastly, I believe Providence was called the Steam Roller.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No relation to AndrewHarrington's post, but I think I'm going to go with Duluth vs the Boston Yanks. The logos are better, the jersey is more unique, the city is more relevant, and it doesn't look like the Buffalo Bison. So, this is the game I'm going with:

minnesota-duluthatnewengland-boston_zpsf70bc6ed.png

One that I think turned out really well, the Green Bay Packers in 1926 Fauxbacks vs the Buffalo Bills as the Buffalo Bisons

GreenBay-1926atBuffaloBisons_zps96e363ef.png

The gold jersey with blue yoke hasn't been used before, and I don't know why. The fauxback element is, obviously, the helmet (and the sock stripe, but that's minor). I REALLY want to use the ACME PACKERS jerseys, but there's no way that many letters could work with numbers on the front. So why not fudge history by slapping it on the helmet. It certainly will look better, and keeps from too many brown vs brown helmeted games

and probably one of the best-looking games, the St. Louis Rams as the Los Angeles Rams 1951 throwbacks vs the Detroit Lions in 1949 fauxbacks

stlouis-1951atdetroit-1949ish_zps6cd1d13e.png

The Rams look great in these, and those should be in a throwback rotation in some form. The Lions prove that it isn't just BFBS, they wore black pants in 1948 and 49, even experimenting with red. The blue helmet is a nice change, and I couldn't help but add the 61 logo, edited to add black, because the jersey was simply too plain without anything. Now, I think it looks good. The red stripe on the pans was also changed to silver to keep more consistency.

And finally, a game I wasn't going to do, Tennessee Titans as the Louisville Brecks vs the Kansas City Chiefs as the Kansas City Cowboys (don't you love that irony?)

tennessee-brecksatkansascity-cowboys_zpsce6c40eb.png

I wasn't going to do the Cowboys. There already is a team named the Cowboys in Dallas who wouldn't like it, they didn't do well, and the unis were SO plain. But, after someone suggested it, I figured, why not, it's another game. After some research, all the teams named the "Kansas City Cowboys" used the K C on the chest, so why not add that and avoid a plain black jersey. That does, however, push the NFL100 Patch to the sleeve, not something I like, but it seems necessary. As for the Brecks, their colors are unknown, so why not assume they're Titans colors? Certainly would work well for marketing, and it doesn't look half bad. Powder blue as a road color is something that could be looked into, and against an all-black team, why not? Making it devoid of white was a fun touch, too.

Just a few ideas left. Keep the suggestions coming.

diversity is nice, I think the Eskimos look a lot more interesting than the Minneapolis Marines, who would look like a blue version of the Cardinals, so look for uniqueness.

Remember, each team gets ONE throwback. The Patriots cannot be Boston AND Providence. The Jets cannot be Staten Island AND the Dodgers. ONE THROWBACK ONLY.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

You're right, I'm a little embarrassed I didn't catch that. I'm going to work on changing all of them to the appropriate year

It's the 100th anniversary in 2020, the 100th year in 2019.

Well they did the 75th anniversary in 1994 not 1995. I figure they'll do the same for 100.

The Texans are the only NFL team I've seen do it the year after. They have a 10 year patch this year even though it's their 11th season :therock:

Either way his work is still badass!

And finally, a game I wasn't going to do, Tennessee Titans as the Louisville Brecks vs the Kansas City Chiefs as the Kansas City Cowboys (don't you love that irony?)

tennessee-brecksatkansascity-cowboys_zpsce6c40eb.png

I wasn't going to do the Cowboys. There already is a team named the Cowboys in Dallas who wouldn't like it, they didn't do well, and the unis were SO plain. But, after someone suggested it, I figured, why not, it's another game. After some research, all the teams named the "Kansas City Cowboys" used the K C on the chest, so why not add that and avoid a plain black jersey. That does, however, push the NFL100 Patch to the sleeve, not something I like, but it seems necessary. As for the Brecks, their colors are unknown, so why not assume they're Titans colors? Certainly would work well for marketing, and it doesn't look half bad. Powder blue as a road color is something that could be looked into, and against an all-black team, why not? Making it devoid of white was a fun touch, too.

I think this would be even better: The Titans as the AFL-era Houston Oilers vs. the Kansas City Chiefs as the AFL-era Dallas Texans.

YOZXkBG.png?1

I like that KC uniform but something about the K & C being on opposite sides throws me off. I know you are trying to be faithful to the original but I would've put the KC on one side. That might just look better and your patch will get to be in the proper place.

• 2 weeks later...

Some I would like to see added to the existing ones:

Pittsburgh Pirates

St. Louis All Stars (or Blues)

Detroit as the Portsmouth Spartans

GB as the Milwaukee Badgers (which GB has played in GB/Milwaukee)

some designs honoring early NFL, AFL and other leagues:

expansion teams + historic teams:

Jacksonville - Card-Pits

Houston- Akron Pros

Atlanta- Rock Island Independents (one of the first pro us teams)

N.O- Steagles

honoring early NFL AFL and other leagues:

Maimi - Seahawks

Balt- Orioles/Blue Birds

Oakland- Hornets

SD/LA- Bulldogs/Dons

Dallas- Rams

Washington- Senators

Chicago - Decatur Staleys

Carolina- Charlotte Bantams

Tampa Bay Cardinals (Jim Thorpe)

SF- Clippers

Seattle- Rockets.

TIMBERS, DUCKS, TRAIL BLAZERS, 49ers, SF GIANTS, BC LIONS, LIVERPOOL, AFL, SARACENS, HARLEQUINS LOTUS, Essendon...etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, no.

While I'm sure that the NFL and Nike will have some throwback unis for the 100th anniversary of the NFL, there is no way they are going to try and connect current NFL teams like the Bengals with some bull :censored: team that had absolutely no association with the NFL ever. At best the Bengals will just bring back the original unis they wore back in 94-95, the ones with BENGALS on the helmets.

There are zero connections between the Duluth Eskimos and the Minnesota Vikings, so forget about that one as well.

The Yanks look good, but I would love to see the Patriots play as the Providence Steam Roller!

This. The Pats play closer to Providence than Boston, and I feel like the Steam Roller would make for a more interesting look.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

How about both Philadelphia and Pittsburgh as the Steagles?

They can just wear the same set - Home versus Away.

I think that would be a really unique way to have two teams pay homage to their shared history and I can't recall a single sporting event EVER where the two teams wore the same uniforms.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Yeah, no.

While I'm sure that the NFL and Nike will have some throwback unis for the 100th anniversary of the NFL, there is no way they are going to try and connect current NFL teams like the Bengals with some bull :censored: team that had absolutely no association with the NFL ever. At best the Bengals will just bring back the original unis they wore back in 94-95, the ones with BENGALS on the helmets.

There are zero connections between the Duluth Eskimos and the Minnesota Vikings, so forget about that one as well.

These are all NFL teams. I didn't pick any from any other leagues because I didn't think it the least bit realistic. If the NFL seriously pitched this to their teams and said "adopt a team from the early NFL years, wear their gear for one game, and reap all of the merchandise money from it", you really think they'd be all against it? I sure don't. It would simply come down to the league wanting a celebration like this.

Yeah, no.

These are all NFL teams. I didn't pick any from any other leagues because I didn't think it the least bit realistic. If the NFL seriously pitched this to their teams and said "adopt a team from the early NFL years, wear their gear for one game, and reap all of the merchandise money from it", you really think they'd be all against it? I sure don't. It would simply come down to the league wanting a celebration like this.

Look, I'm not trying to be or come across as a hater or any of that nonsense, just realistic.

Do you honestly think that even today's hardcore fan has any goddamn clue that the Duluth Eskimos were once an NFL franchise? Or that they care?

The honest answer to both of those questions is no.

That's not to mention that the sports radio troll hosts would go bat :censored: crazy if the NFL did announce they were doing what you suggest. You obviously don;t recall what happened in Kansas City when it was announced that the Chiefs would be wearing Dallas Texans throwbacks for a couple of games. The local sports talk raio troll hosts went ballistic and threw a gargantuan hissy pound their fists on the floor shriek until they lost their voices temper tantrum. Seriously, you would have thought the world was ending, all over some goddamn uniforms. These trolls tried to start a bull :censored: rumor that the Chiefs were moving to Dallas and the throwback unis were just part of some nefarious plot by Goddel and the NFL.

It was stupid and dull and stupid and boring and stupid.

The Steelers stupid jail stripe throwbacks work because the actual Steelers back in the 30's40's wore the goddamn things and there is a direct connection between that team form that time period and the present.

There is no connection between the Duluth Eskimos and the Minnesota Vikings and there never will be, and you can;t try and make one, just like you can;t make one with any of the old dead teams and present day franchises that you are trying to do.

This is just my opinion, but how about if the league dooes this sometime sooner? The 100th anniversary is like what, In 2019? That's too long a ways from now.

Why?

Why are you so impatient> 2019 is the NFL's 100th anniversary season. You can't change it. It is a fact.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, no.

Look, I'm not trying to be or come across as a hater or any of that nonsense, just realistic.

Do you honestly think that even today's hardcore fan has any goddamn clue that the Duluth Eskimos were once an NFL franchise? Or that they care?

The honest answer to both of those questions is no.

That's not to mention that the sports radio troll hosts would go bat :censored: crazy if the NFL did announce they were doing what you suggest. You obviously don;t recall what happened in Kansas City when it was announced that the Chiefs would be wearing Dallas Texans throwbacks for a couple of games. The local sports talk raio troll hosts went ballistic and threw a gargantuan hissy pound their fists on the floor shriek until they lost their voices temper tantrum. Seriously, you would have thought the world was ending, all over some goddamn uniforms. These trolls tried to start a bull :censored: rumor that the Chiefs were moving to Dallas and the throwback unis were just part of some nefarious plot by Goddel and the NFL.

It was stupid and dull and stupid and boring and stupid.

The Steelers stupid jail stripe throwbacks work because the actual Steelers back in the 30's40's wore the goddamn things and there is a direct connection between that team form that time period and the present.

There is no connection between the Duluth Eskimos and the Minnesota Vikings and there never will be, and you can;t try and make one, just like you can;t make one with any of the old dead teams and present day franchises that you are trying to do.

While you definitely have a point, and I remember those shenanigans, I think this is slightly different, and I'll tell ya why.

Many of these are, in fact, different franchises. However, none of them have wildly different regions. That's why I avoided using the Houston Oilers, Dallas Texans, and so on.

The few that suffer from those, namely St. Louis/LA Rams and the Indianapolis/Baltimore Colts, have no differences in logos and nothing that expressly says either city on it. So franchises could play dumb if they liked.

The others, like Duluth/Minnesota, Cleveland/Canton, Cincinnati/Dayton, are close enough that the fans, as a whole, shouldn't be that upset. It's still local. It's not like the Ravens are wearing Browns uniforms or something. That's specifically why I picked some of the things I picked. Are there any Staten Island fans still out there to be upset? I doubt it. But there are plenty of Jets fans who might live on Staten Island who would think that extra cool, and plenty more Jets fans who would think it a decent novelty, something the NFL could market.

And that's all this is. "adopting" dead franchises is nothing more than a marketing gimmick, which is what I know the NFL would do, if there was a push for something like this.

Plus, they're one-offs, something Nike thrives on, and something that most people couldn't get THAT upset about. They're one-and-done.

Bottom line, is that this is a concepts board, and I pride myself on realistic concepts. This is a little outside the box, but I think I've taken every step possible not to do something too silly, which is why each team gets one and only one jersey, and teams like the Jets aren't wearing 5 different New York teams in one season to celebrate all of the franchises that existed there. Just one. I appreciate your opinion and I respectfully disagree, I think this stays just within the bounds of reason.

How about both Philadelphia and Pittsburgh as the Steagles?

They can just wear the same set - Home versus Away.

I think that would be a really unique way to have two teams pay homage to their shared history and I can't recall a single sporting event EVER where the two teams wore the same uniforms.

That would be really really cool. I love the idea, but in doing the research for it (I'm actually reading about the Steagles in a book titled Last Team Standing: How the Steelers and Eagles, the Steagles, Saved Professional Football which is really well done), I've found that the team wore only one jersey. The Steelers, in the merger agreement, agreed to play as The Eagles, with no city (Steagles is just the applied nickname from what I can tell, not official) and use the Eagles' uniforms. If you can think of some kind of compromise that isn't confusing or blasphemous (creating a white version of the Steagles jersey would be confusing, making a green version of the Steelers jersey would be blasphemous), I'll totally do it, because I think the idea itself has a ton of merit.

The Yanks look good, but I would love to see the Patriots play as the Providence Steam Roller!

This. The Pats play closer to Providence than Boston, and I feel like the Steam Roller would make for a more interesting look.

My problem there is that the Steamroller looks so much like Buffalo's jersey that it seems silly to have both. Plus, Boston would be a much bigger seller because, well, of the city of Boston. The logos make it much snazzier, too.

Some I would like to see added to the existing ones:

Pittsburgh Pirates

St. Louis All Stars (or Blues)

Detroit as the Portsmouth Spartans

GB as the Milwaukee Badgers (which GB has played in GB/Milwaukee)

some designs honoring early NFL, AFL and other leagues:

expansion teams + historic teams:

Jacksonville - Card-Pits

Houston- Akron Pros

Atlanta- Rock Island Independents (one of the first pro us teams)

N.O- Steagles

honoring early NFL AFL and other leagues:

Maimi - Seahawks

Balt- Orioles/Blue Birds

Oakland- Hornets

SD/LA- Bulldogs/Dons

Dallas- Rams

Washington- Senators

Chicago - Decatur Staleys

Carolina- Charlotte Bantams

Tampa Bay Cardinals (Jim Thorpe)

SF- Clippers

Seattle- Rockets.

I kept it all-NFL for a reason: realism and it's the NFL's celebration.

Not to mention, for the teams that I could really use, ones that don't already have an entry like the Seattle Rocket or the Baltimore Blue Birds, I can't find a single picture of a uniform or even a logo. You find me some kind of reference to work from, I'll include them.

This is just my opinion, but how about if the league dooes this sometime sooner? The 100th anniversary is like what, In 2019? That's too long a ways from now.

...you DO know that this is just a concept thread, right? I mean, I don't actually have NFL pull and this will probably never actually happen, it's just a fun idea I had. I could move it up or move it back 50 years, I don't think it would make any difference lol.

Alright, that's a lot of replies. Unless there are other ideas thrown my way, I think I'm going to wrap this up real soon.

Ok, finally to finish this. The last two games in the series, and then, the aftermath.

First off,

The San Diego Chargers as the Los Angeles Dons at the San Francisco 49ers with 1959 fauxbacks

sandiego-losangelesatsanfrancisco-1959.png

Los Angeles seemed like an obvious pick. They don't have a team, they keep screaming for a team, and that uniform is simple and dare I say patriotic. Really, it's the least simple of what the Dons wore, so I went with it. The white helmet is also an easy use for the Chargers. The 49ers have always worn very similar stuff, especially at home. I wanted to bring back the silver, because that's a novelty, and then I took the design they used for their whites at that time and translated it into a red. Just to have something different, because this team has followed their heritage very well, and have thrown back to pretty much everything that is interesting already.

Second, and finally, The Washington Redskins in 1956 fauxbacks at the Miami Dolphins as the Miami Seahawks

washington-1956atmiami-seahawks.png

Washington is only a fauxback because it's using the 1959 helmet and the gold pants were only used at home in 1956, but that looks great together. Miami is a straight copy of the AAFL team (which was a part of the NFL after WWII), but added a white outline to the numbers to make them more visible. I couldn't pass up such a unique team, and a team in the southeast to boot, who have largely been ignored in this project.

So that wraps up the series, all of the one-off games played for the NFL's 100th Anniversary

...But wait! There's more!

This was set up as an entire project, and done in a narrative style, so it only makes sense to have the post-script.

When these one-offs are done, sometimes they're kept around, or integrated into the regular lineup. How many NHL third jerseys became the full-time home or road? Why couldn't some NFL one-offs become the alternate jersey? Especially if they worked well with the team's usual look and would likely sell well, they certainly should get another go.

That's what happened here. But, they couldn't be used straight, the patch had to be removed, and as-per NFL regulations, TV numbers had to be added to the shoulders or sleeves. Most commonly, the one-off helmet would be dropped because the extra equipment was a burden. So here are the alternates that stayed as full-time alternates:

stlouisas1951full-time.png

The Rams are perfect. Everybody on these boards has been screaming for this throwback to happen more often, why not let it happen? Sure, the different color scheme is hard on equipment managers, but who wouldn't buy one of those?

redskinsas1956ishfull-time.png

The Redskins had a huge hit, and the feather helmet, like the spear some years ago, was adopted heavily by the fans. But they weren't going to waste that alternate on the road, so they made a home version.

pittsburghas1962full-time.png

The Steelers, with the bumblebee jerseys panned and not bringing back the 50s throwback from before that, went with a black version of the 1962 beauties. Sure, this didn't exactly exist in 1962, the black version had northwestern stripes, but who's counting? The return of the gold helmet (with the modern logo now) and the white pants, and an all gold/black jersey was demanded by the fans, and the team delivered, with the steelworker kicking a football intact.

packersas1926full-time.png

The Packers love a good throwback. That explains the much-hated numbers-in-a-circle jersey they used for a while. But, they ditched the blue and went with a gold/green version of their yoked jerseys. As the Packers were among the first to embrace the brown helmet for throwbacks, it returns here. No more ACME Packers to be seen.

NewYorkGiantsas1936ishfull-time.png

The Giants also brought back their alternate, because it was so different and having a white jersey with some blue in it was appreciated by fans, though they changed the numbers to a simpler red-only design. It wouldn't stick around long, especially since it was a road jersey (and nothing replaces the big blues)

dolphinsasmiamiseahawksfulltime-1.png

One I'm more proud of because it looks so good: The Miami Dolphins. New logo change in their future notwithstanding (I know, I know, but we haven't seen it yet), an orange alternate is back on the field. They took the Seahawks design and reinterpreted it, replacing the colors with the modern ones, injecting some white in the sleeve stripes, and then most boldly, the fauxback helmet, which is actually the helmet that the dolphin in the logo wears. No longer would that be a criticism, "But the helmet in the logo has never been worn by the team!" Fixed. Done.

detroitas1949ishfull-time.png\

The Lions also seemed an obvious choice, with a fauxback that looks really modern and fits in so much better than a black alternate. The numbers now have a black outline and drop shadow, and their usual helmet replaces the plain blue one, but I think this would be a great addition to their set.

And so that wraps it up. Those are the ones that survived beyond the one-offs, often adapted and changed.

Thoughts? C&C? Did I miss any teams that would fit the criteria of One-throwback-per-franchise?

If anything, the Colts should be the Dayton Triangles since the original Colts were the 1952 Dallas Texans who'd evolved from the Triangles. Let the Bengals have a look based on either the Cincinnati Celts(not that significant to the NFL, but certainly significant to the development of pro football in general) or the Columbus Panhandles.

I'd also put a big C on the Bulldogs' jerseys with smaller numbers instead of the way you have it. The Bulldogs had what is probably the most iconic uniform from that era and the C was the most distinctive part.

Other than that, I love this series! Especially the Eskimos-Yanks concept.

Some of this is meant to show legitimate family-tree elements to it, like the Chicago Cardinals with Arizona or the Baltimore Colts with Indianapolis, but when it comes to these other franchises, really a truly, they are orphaned. There might be some obscure relation, but it's probably not worth arguing over. I thought of this simply, Dayton isn't that far from Cincinnati, I don't have another good throwback for Cinci, and I had one for Indianapolis, so, the choice to me was easy: they're the Bengals' property.

I haven't seen any images for the Celts' uniforms, the black/gold thing would be more confusing with Pittsburgh in the division, and as much as I like the Panhandles, their logo is a keystone, which Pennsylvania has claimed pretty outright, and the mixup of their iconography would be far more confusing than Dayton/Cincinnati.

I did listen on the Bulldogs though. The C is pretty iconic, and though I wanted to avoid too many logo-centric jerseys, this one should be there. I DID however, simplify the sleeves on that (i.e. got rid of the stripes), with the yoke and the waist-stripes, it was just too much.

cincinnati-daytonatcleveland-canton2.png

Thank you for the kind words, though, and the C&C. If you like the Yanks, you'll have to debate with Julius over whether or not it's better than the next image.

Ask and ye shall receive. I made the concept, only to realize that the only team that could use it was already done. Is this better or worse than the Boston Yanks? I honestly can't decide (Yanks have much better logos, the Steam Rollers have a much better name and a more unique jersey)

minnesota-duluthatnewengland-providence.png

Like an optometrist, better or worse?

one problem: those wouldn't even be recognizable by team. when i see the triangles i think colts, not bengals

At a glance, you're right, they're not recognizable. However, based on the AFL celebration, without prior knowledge, how do you know that the Oilers were really the Titans? Or something more realistic, considering how obscure the team is today, how do you know the Dallas Texans were really the Chiefs? Making the connections between teams would be up to the NFL's marketing department in the weeks before the game. flooding team stores with throwback merch might be the way to do it, maybe even official "adoption" ceremonies just to hype it up more. No, there's no real indicator of which team is which, but that's the fun of one-off's like this. Honestly, I liked some of the Triangles-Bengals connections, they're kinda kindred spirits, with the mass of sleeve striping and the odd helmets...despite the colors, I thought the two went together rather well, and the location was simply ideal.

Thanks for the C&C guys, keep it up, I'm definitely hoping to think of more matchups as this continues along, because really, that's the hardest part.

Well, after all that, the rest of what I have available right now. I'll be working on more as I get the time.

A little obscure, but some fun jerseys, the Philadelphia Eagles show up as the very nearby Frankford Yellow Jackets, and Arizona mixes eras a bit, with a Racine Cardinals-inspired jersey with elements from the Chicago Cardinals, and of course, white helmets.

philadelphia-frankfordatarizona-chicago.png

And one of my favorites, dipping into the Giants' fun uniform history, we pull out the 1936 jerseys, one of the few colorful white jerseys of the era, and paired with it the classic style 1940 helmet. Also visible are the 1950s Giant-throwing-in-stadium logo, something beautifully vintage that I just couldn't leave out, no matter how anachronistic. They play another cool name, the New York Jets show up as the Staten Island Stapletons. I debated using the New York Yanks/Yankees or the Brooklyn Dodgers, but with copyrights what they are, I figured this would be the easiest to actually see on the field. The color set is a bit New York Titans, anyways, so it worked out.

newyorkgiants-1936ishatnewyorkjets-statenisland.png

Thanks guys. C&C?

The Eagles never had that type of blue. I think they look ok, but maybe swap the 2 blues you use. Use the lighter one and the darker one to accent the light blue.

A little obscure, but some fun jerseys, the Philadelphia Eagles show up as the very nearby Frankford Yellow Jackets, and Arizona mixes eras a bit, with a Racine Cardinals-inspired jersey with elements from the Chicago Cardinals, and of course, white helmets.

philadelphia-frankfordatarizona-chicago.png

The Eagles never had that type of blue. I think they look ok, but maybe swap the 2 blues you use. Use the lighter one and the darker one to accent the light blue.

...That's because they're not Eagles jerseys, they're based on the Frankford Yellow Jackets, a team that existed just east of Philly, and whose debts were paid off by the first Eagles' owners in addition to their franchise fees in 1933

1929YellowJackets-1.jpg

Just as the Dayton Triangles were adopted by the Cincinnati Bengals and the Canton Bulldogs by the Cleveland Browns, Philly adopts Frankford. I figured they were closer and more interesting than the Pottsville Maroons, and the Eagles have already done a 1933 throwback.

Archived