Carolina Hurricanes concept

MojoRoberts

This is my first post here in the forums. I am very excited to have joined a community of logo nuts and design junkies like myself. I recently decided to put some work into re-branding the Carolina Hurricanes. I think their current logo is okay but I think it seems a bit abstract. I have always tried to read the letter "C" for Carolina into their current design. I have crated a new logo that feeds into that idea. I also have introduced a nice shade of blue into the logo. When I think of hurricanes (I live in Florida) I think of the ocean, and when I think of the ocean I think of blue. To be fair to two of the most popular teams in North Carolina I decided to use the exact medium between North Carolina blue and Duke blue while keeping the traditional red(don't want to upset N.C. State)

90445327.jpg

Please feel free to let me know what you think of this. I look forward to your feedback.

The Hurricanes use red because it's NC State's shade of red and they only exist so that NC State can have a giant arena.

http://sophia.smith.edu/~jeue/John/pete5.html

April 20: playoff fever hits the media. "Let me share with you the worst-kept secret in Raleigh," writes Dennis Rogers in the News and Observer. "The real reason hockey is here at all is that the folks in charge of the new Wolfpack arena figured that having a professional team would enable them to build a bigger and more luxurious sports palace than they could afford just for NCSU basketball.... You'd be surprised how many diehard Wolfpack fans want the Hurricanes to quickly fail and move out of the arena."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

You need to make the hurricane look more like a hurricane. As of now, it looks a lot like a flushing toilet or a cell. Also, you should work on the colour balance. Beyond the logo, each of the three jerseys is completely devoid of one of the primary colours.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

You need to make the hurricane look more like a hurricane. As of now, it looks a lot like a flushing toilet or a cell. Also, you should work on the colour balance. Beyond the logo, each of the three jerseys is completely devoid of one of the primary colours.

You are right about the puck within the eye giving the hurricane the appearance of a swirling bowl. i am somewhat disappointed that I didn't notice that during the design. It will be something I work on over the next couple of days. As far as the shape of the storm I am over all very pleased with its look. As for the jerseys, they were a complete afterthought and only offered them up as a crude example of what could be. Let's just pretend they aren't there. Thanks for you input.

I like where you're going with the idea, but it's not there yet. The best suggestion I could make would be to rotate the blue part slightly so it's more lined-up with the red and black 'C'. As it is now, they look a little too separate, if you know what I mean. Having the blue hurricane circle completing the 'C' could work pretty well, I think.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Good foundation but needs refinement. Right now, I see thorns, not wind, and it looks spiky, not swirly. I'd bring the wind-arms in tighter and make them longer. Also, the puck doesn't look integrated at all into the logo, it looks like it was pasted in at the last moment.

rATMcmK.png

This concept looks really promising. A couple tweaks and you could have one of the best Hurricanes concepts posted here. Since most people have addressed their concerns with the logo, I will focus on the jerseys.

While the striping is nice, the thing bothering me about the set is the lack of colour heirarchy. Red is the dominant colour on the Home (I'm assuming the red is the home) while Carolina Blue is dominant on the away. Aside from the logo, the away jersey features no red.

I love the C. Focus around that while your trying to make this work. Also, The jerseys need more than one colour used in the primary.

That's my problem (along with everyone else) with all of them. By not completing the collar it makes it 1 billion times sillier looking.

After seeing some posts I have made some changes for round 2. Enjoy and as always I look forward to hearing what you think.

newhurricane_zpsfabac629.jpg

Probably would've included the puck somewhere, but you may have nailed it.

That's my problem (along with everyone else) with all of them. By not completing the collar it makes it 1 billion times sillier looking.

It seems pretty solid. I would thicken up all those lines. I think the area that needs most help is the puck. The puck itself is a little fat. Also, I personally think it can be included better. Right now it seems a little forces and and the lines don't match the rest of the logo. Just some thoughts.

"Classic" does not mean it gets a free pass for being bad design.

6624288275_95c33d4680_z.jpg

My main gripe with this is the colour scheme. I will never be able to get on board with it. They just don't work in my opinion. The addition of the puck wasn't needed, and as it stands, looks like it's from a completely different identity. It almost seems clip-arty.

It seems I'm having some trouble incorporating a puck into this logo. I really feel like I want it there but I'm having some trouble making it look like it belongs there. Any Ideas? Should I remove it completely?

I go back and forth on this. Does a sport logo need some aspect of the sport incorporated. I think it may need it in this case, so when you see this logo you know what sport it is associated with. Especially since Carolina isnt what I think of when I think of hockey.

Maybe look elsewhere, try putting sticks in the concept, there's more to hockey than pucks.

"Classic" does not mean it gets a free pass for being bad design.

6624288275_95c33d4680_z.jpg

It seems I'm having some trouble incorporating a puck into this logo. I really feel like I want it there but I'm having some trouble making it look like it belongs there. Any Ideas? Should I remove it completely?

I would give the puck the same thickness and perspective as the red C

One more try, after some convincing and myself staring at this for a while I decided the blue had to go as far as a main color and am now only using a slightly different shade only to highlight the grey hurricane. While the blue storm seemed to take away from and not jive with the red "C" the grey fits nicely. And the blue only serves to make the hurricane pop a little from the background.

round4_zps9bccd01b.jpg

Archived