Which was more of a shock?

Brass

Which hockey game was more of a shock?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Both teams gave a lot to their country, but the US was at war with the USSR during this time, so it meant more and was more shocking none the less for the US.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Quoting ESPN part-timer and Tale Of The Tape creator/author/writer and part-time producer Nick Bakay, "Advantage, push. There are no winners here."

Trust me, a guy who voiced a cat and a beaver knows.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

The US win was more of a shock, but the Summit Series was far more epic.

It's comparing a David and Goliath story to a clash of the mightiest Titans. Both are great stories in their own right. As a Canadian, I enjoy hearing about the Summit Series more.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I'll agree... US 1980 was more of a shock than Canada in 1972. Canada was supposed to win in '72.

Besides Canada/USSR 72 wasn't a game, it was an 8 game series.

I'd think the bigger shock in 1972 was Canada coming back, with the Soviets up 3 games to 1 after Game 5, and the remaining 3 games in Moscow.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Shock, 1980.

Sheer, national pride; epic match-ups, Clarke v. Kharlamov, Dryden v. Tretiak; the stress of 4 games NOT played in North America (Could the US have won if the games had been in Moscow?): Summit Series.

It even allowed a great amount of high octane, exciting match-ups between NHL and Soviet teams....excepting of course the disgrace of the Flyers-USSR game.

Note also that the first time the U.S. played Russia in '80, the boys in blue were shellacked like 8-1 or something.

I wasn't around for '72, so I can't comment.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

1980 by a mile only a few players from that team ever played in the NHL, while the 1972 Canadian team was made up of NHL players many of them all-time greats.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

1980 was more of a shock--but the shock of the 72 series was how well the Soviets matched up, at least as a kid listening to the hype...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

• 4 weeks later...

I think "What's more of a shock?" should have the following choices:

Canada winning the World Cup of soccer

Mockba having a wife

Shark loves Brown

Creamer becomes a Toronto Blue Jay

NJ Tank becomes a liberal AND

George Bush becomes a member of Greenpeace

I saw, I came, I left.

Anyways, I voted for the 1980 US team just because of the team the US had compared to the Soivets. In 1972, Canada had their best players. In 1980, the US had a bunch of no bodies.

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived