2013 NFL Off-Season Thread

Island_Style

Fun Fact: The Browns have signed 98 free agents since 1993. One of them has made the Pro Bowl.

Whoever can name that free agent, will be good in my books.

Kelly Holcomb?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anquan Boldin traded to the 49ers for a 6th round pick

http://espn.go.com/n...rs-pick-sources

This is the 1st symptom of Flacco destroying the Ravens' repeat title hopes. What a hypocrite he was when he wanted Newsome to pay Boldin handsomely (when it's Joe's own contract which is causing resigning problems with his teammates).

It's not as if we had a good chance to repeat next year, but now this :censored: has gotten out of hand already. I like Flacco, but I KNEW he shouldn't have been payed that much. . . .Damn, now we've lost our best WR, besides Smith, for a 6th round pick!? Damnit Flacco. Best wishes to Boldin though.

I'm not saying I'm thrilled about the trade. However, the Flacco contract is not what brought this on. His 2013 cap number is less than $7MM instead of the $14MM or $19MM it would have been had the Ravens franchised him.

One other point to consider (which I didn't think of until reading it this morning) -- by trading Boldin to SF, the Ravens avoided the risk of having him sign with a team they have to play this year* short of the Super Bowl, which was a very really possibility if they had just released him.

In Ozzie We Trust -- I'm sure there is a plan.

* -- Maybe twice if the Browns went after Boldin.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Anybody seen this PhotoShop slideshow on NFL.com? My favorite hatchet job might be where they have Michael Turner's distinctive Earl Campbell-esque butt and thighs posing as Steven Jackson.

Adding this for lack of a better place to put it...nice compilation of all the 2012 regular season kick and punt return TDs. Interesting to see what's in essence a summary of who did what and I guess anyone who watched the Ravens all year wasn't surprised that Jacoby Jones ended up on the cover of SI. This guy Reynaud in Tennessee is pretty awesome too. The Saints appeared only once (getting smoked on a return) but the Bills seemed to be in every other clip either returning a TD or getting burned for one.

http://youtu.be/L6mWfyZguq8

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Eagles release CB Asomugha

Bengals sign DE Robert Geathers

Lions sign CB DeAngelo Hall.

Vikings re-sign OT Phil Loadholt

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Bears ink TE Martellus Bennett, LeVitre to Titans is apparently set in stone, as is Long to Rams.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Free agency starts now!!!!!!

Bucs also seem to be kicking tires on Revis Island.

'

And give up whatever the hell it takes to bring in the best CB in the NFL to the organization. Its trying to make trades like that, and free agency pushes like last season and (hopefully) this season that help galvanize a losing organization into a winning one.

spacer.png

DeAngelo Hall to Lions is apparently unfounded.

Browns close to signing DE Paul Kruger

Dolphins in the hunt for Mike Wallace

Falcons trying to sign Steven Jackson

Bills release Ryan Fitzpatrick

twitter

I still don't understand NFL money terms, and I really have tried. How can the Bills cut all that money, without having any repercussions? Or do they still have to pay it?

Also Rams might be happy with this. Jake Long is visiting his boys tonight.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Mike Wallace officially signs with Dolphins, as does LeVitre to the Titans.

twitter

I still don't understand NFL money terms, and I really have tried. How can the Bills cut all that money, without having any repercussion. Or do they still have to pay it.

Simple explanation (as I understand it) -- Only the signing bonus is guaranteed. It is prorated over the life of the contract for salary cap purposes. If a player is released early, the "unused" portion of the cap is accelerated into the next season. That is how Joe Flacco can sign a 6 year, $120.6MM contract, but only count $6.8MM against the cap this year.

Example -- 5 year contract, $20MM signing bonus. $4MM per year counts against the cap. Player is released after Year 3. Year 4 cap hit = $8MM.

I don't know Fitzpatrick's situation. However, there are some repercussions, just not $59MM worth.

Bottom Line -- A good portion of what you see in NFL contract announcements is fluff.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Is Tavarius Jackson still on the Bills? Are they going to do a dumb trade for Matt Flynn? Is Marrone really going to draft Nassib?

Fitzpatrick could keep the Bills in games but could never win them. Too bad, because he was a decent three quarter quarterback.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I still don't understand NFL money terms, and I really have tried. How can the Bills cut all that money, without having any repercussion. Or do they still have to pay it.

Simple explanation (as I understand it) -- Only the signing bonus is guaranteed. It is prorated over the life of the contract for salary cap purposes. If a player is released early, the "unused" portion of the cap is accelerated into the next season. That is how Joe Flacco can sign a 6 year, $120.6MM contract, but only count $6.8MM against the cap this year.

Example -- 5 year contract, $20MM signing bonus. $4MM per year counts against the cap. Player is released after Year 3. Year 4 cap hit = $8MM.

I don't know Fitzpatrick's situation. However, there are some repercussions, just not $59MM worth.

Bottom Line -- A good portion of what you see in NFL contract announcements is fluff.

Yeah, I understand cap hit's and all that jazz. But damn the rest it is just a total mess.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Broncos land big money guard Louis Vasquez. 4 years, $23.5M, $13M guaranteed.

twitter

Archived