W H A announces "Original Six"...

Brian in Boston

Well, yesterday, the new WHA held its "much-anticipated" press conference to announce the lineup of franchise sites for its inaugural season... sort of.

Dubbed the "Original Six" (That's a bit ballsy, huh?) are:

Dallas, Texas - Reunion Arena

Detroit, Michigan Area - Pontiac Silverdome

Halifax, Nova Scotia - Metro Centre

Jacksonvile, Florida - Memorial Arena

Orlando, Florida - TD Waterhouse Center

Quebec City, Quebec - Le Colisee Pepsi

According to the league, all six of these franchises have completed finalizing lease arrangements with their respective home arenas.

Meanwhile, the Toronto and Hamilton, Ontario-based teams "remain franchises in good standing" pending the completion of lease negotiations prior to July 10, 2004... which just happens to be the date of the WHA's Free Agent and Entry Level Draft. In other words, if they've got homes by the draft then they're in. If not... see ya!!!

US Bank Arena in Cincinnati, Ohio also had representatives in attendance at the press conference. I suppose this makes sense, since the league still claims that they will launch the inaugural season with a minimum of 10 teams and a maximum of 12.

We'll see.

Brian in Boston

If the WHA seriously wants to challenge the NHL, then I really don't think startong off by challenging the NHL in its own big markets, like Detroit is a good idea. And they are also making the same mistake as the NHL by thinking it can build markets in the south! the WHA is doomed i tell you- doomed!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I don't believe that the WHA leadership's decision to place teams in Dallas, Jacksonville and Orlando is part of an NHL-inspired drive to "build markets in the South". Frankly, I think the WHA is simply scrambling to find markets with arenas willing to sign leases with them.

Brian in Boston

Oh, you better believe I'll support the Jacksonville team!... provided this league is organized well and not run by moronic primates like the ABA. I want some hockey around here! I wonder if they'll resurrect the Jacksonville Barracudas name...

It's about time Halifax got their own pro team!

The Maritimes as a whole are neglected as of late, especially with the St. John Flames disbanding.

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

nitro...

I'm assuming that they'll be using the Barracudas name in Jacksonville.

After all, management of the Jacksonville franchise bought the team from Dave Waronker, who was owner of the Jacksonville Barracudas of WHA2/EHL/SHL. In essence, the new owners were purchasing the rights to inherit the Barracudas' lease at Memorial Arena. I'd think that they also purchased the Barracudas' name, logos, etc.

Now, they may decide to go the "Name the Team" route, but only time will tell.

Brian in Boston

before you badmouth all the southern markets, look at the attendance the stars get... it's a great hockey market.

too bad the dallas name is going to be pointlessly patriotic (stupid bush stereotype!)

I don't believe that the WHA leadership's decision to place teams in Dallas, Jacksonville and Orlando is part of an NHL-inspired drive to "build markets in the South". Frankly, I think the WHA is simply scrambling to find markets with arenas willing to sign leases with them.

Brian in Boston

I was thinkingg the same thing--they're scrambling...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

You know, let's really examine this whole hockey in the south thing here, since it was brought up. It's sort of a slap in the face to people like myself who love hockey and live in the south when people say that hockey doesn't belong here. And for the sake of this argument, "south" is referring to the southeast portion of the country, but we can expand on the entire country as needed. Think about this, though: how long has NHL hockey been in the South? If you don't count the LA Kings, San Jose got a team in 1991. Tampa got a team in 1992. The North Stars moved to Dallas in 1993. The Panthers got their team in 1993 as well, along with the Anaheim Mighty Ducks (or Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, whichever you prefer). Atlanta, Nashville and Carolina have only had teams for under seven years.

Hockey has only been in the south for maybe under fifteen years total, even less than that in some places, whereas it's been in the north and in Canada for like, what, over 75 years? And not only that, but hockey is in areas where football or basketball is the dominant sport and has been for many decades. Of course the fanbase isn't going to be super-strong here. We've had no outlet to really explore the joys of hockey for as long as the north has. And honestly, with the lack of coverage here (I can barely find any news on the Thrashers, even in Atlanta itself), who can blame the lack of early support? But it doesn't mean that support will never come. Give it some time...

Any way... random rant there. Might be opening up a can of worms, but I wanted to get that out.

NHL hockey, perhaps, but the South has a much longer history of minor league teams, going back to the 50s and 60s.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

before you badmouth all the southern markets, look at the attendance the stars get... it's a great hockey market.

too bad the dallas name is going to be pointlessly patriotic (stupid bush stereotype!)

Hey, if it was up to me, Dallas would be the only southern team allowed to stay in the NHL. But do you think the WHA team will get support if they end up going toe-to-toe with the Stars?

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

Hey, if it was up to me, Dallas would be the only southern team allowed to stay in the NHL. But do you think the WHA team will get support if they end up going toe-to-toe with the Stars?

HELL no... the dallas WHA team has no chance of being a success... but that has more to do with the fact that it's the WHA than the fact that it's dallas :)

the "there should be no nhl teams in the southern united states" argument is stale and repulsive and therefore should be banned from these forums indefinitly

Repulsive? Stale? Should be banned from the boards? Hmmm....reminds me of something....nah, it's too easy.:rolleyes:

Archived