The 2013 NHL Season Thread

charger77

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like, I hope your mind doesn't have to put on a windbreaker after the way I'm about to blow it, but Montreal is located in the province of Quebec, where French is the principal language, and indeed, one of Canada's two (2) official languages, and as such the national anthem was written with/avec lyrics in English and French. As a matter of fact, if I'm not mistaken, the French lyrics precede the English lyrics!

I know New Orleans is the French state, but

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Like, I hope your mind doesn't have to put on a windbreaker after the way I'm about to blow it, but Montreal is located in the province of Quebec, where French is the principal language, and indeed, one of Canada's two (2) official languages, and as such the national anthem was written with/avec lyrics in English and French. As a matter of fact, if I'm not mistaken, the French lyrics precede the English lyrics!

On top of that the Canadiens have historically been a French Canadian cultural institution in the city.

Why does the Habs fan sing the last line of "O Canada" in English?

Montreal has a significant English population as well. The Maroons used to represent them, but since their demise they've either supported the Leafs or Canadiens. So the Habs having English supporters isn't surprising. My dad's family is full if them.

There's something about the use of the singular there that's so disconcerting.

I just watched Ullstrom ding the crossbar on a penalty shot and oh my heart just sank like a rock for the poor guy. It was perpendicular to the goal line and bounced juuust the wrong way. I guess the same thing happened to Tavares a few days ago. Hard-luck team in every sense.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yes, i'm well aware..........

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

Uh...

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Then what's the problem with the Canadiens having the anthem done in French? I just don't get why you think it's a big deal.

Then what's the problem with the Canadiens having the anthem done in French? I just don't get why you think it's a big deal.

Shut up and culturally assimilate already.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Shut up and culturally assimilate already.

That's what's so weird! English Canada gave up on that centuries ago. Now we have some guy from Georgia getting on the Habs' case? Why does he care?

When the Habs come to your city, what language is it sung in? It's been in French the two times I've seen them play the Kings.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Because he misses his boys in Blue, that used to play in the ATL. Like it's Canada's fault those guys don't play in Georgia no more.

Did I say it was? No. Let's drop this. Was just stating an opinion, but I guess I'm not allowed to do so.

Ugh...another shootout for Nashville.

Hey Bobby Ryan, if you weren't trying to make a pretty play and were just playing hockey you would have scored there. Instead of just trying to split the defender, he kept toedragging and trying to deke around. Just chip and go. Viktor Fasth continues his winning ways as he bests the Preds in the shootout allowing in only one goal in the S/O

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

Archived