Varsity/Letter Jackets

Discrim

The letter jacket, aka the varsity jacket. Many, if not most, here won't need any pictures to know what one looks like. But oddly enough, the only real constant as far as what goes where is that the letter is on the left chest. The rest of the patches, it depends on where you are. I've thought about letter jacket concepts for a while, and figure I may as well release the only one I've doe so far.

Bears

bearsvarsityjacket_zps5ce65431.png

I was more or less basing this jacket on an amalgam of the ones I've seen most often: those in Racine. It was simply the most familar format to me. I know for a fact Milwaukee schools use somewhat different placement from us, and Chicagoans probably noticeably different enough that they'll think I :censored:ed this up. Anyways, speak on it.

Edit: Question for anybody in Florida (or anywhere else where it's usually hot as hell)...are letter jackets worn all that widely down there? If not, what, if anything, is used in their place? And if so, would I be safe in assuming said jackets use lighter materials than what we use in the north? Don't mind me, I'm just curious as hell.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

The High Schools in Pennsylvania (Where high school football is second only to Texas, don'tcha know), have a lot more sleeve patches than front/pocket patches. The GSH, number, and the Running Bear patches should definitely be moved to the sleeves.

It's also very common for the sport to be below the name. Rather than do that, and be redundant, perhaps the team name?

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Yeah we don't really do pocket patches either, uil/band/uca award patches would sometimes go on the back and MAYBE on the front. But let's say you're #10 you'll get that on the right sleeve and maybe your position in big letters below it, and any accomplishments (all district all state etc) you can get in a little football patch or whatever sport you're in. You can also get the position in there of youd like. And its common to get the graduating yr on the left sleeve.

And idk if this is everyone but around here you get a little symbol for your activity and bars next to it to denote how many times you lettered.

Like I'd said, the big letter's the only real constant nationally and I was going by what was most familiar to me, though every suggestion will help, as like I said, you got subtle and not-so-subtle differences wherever you go. Some places, numerals, patches and whatnot go on the sleeves, round here I only ever see patches on the front (in cases where most places would award more patches, pins and medals tend to be favored here...if anybody recalls this old Bugs Bunny cartoon where there was a general walkin slow, all his medals clinking with each step...yeah, some guys I knew would often sound like that when they walked :D )

2016cubscreamsig.png

• 3 weeks later...

Aussie Ry: Thanks man, I'll see what I can do.

I been putting this one off for a bit too long, here goes a prospective Carmelo jacket

knicksvarsityjacket.png

Took a different approach than I did the first time around (and admittedly, when your hometown is in a state known for being cold, yet has more Chick-fil-a's than ice rinks [1-0], it's an outlier. But it's my outlier dammit). I considered making patches that would've denoted Melo's USA gold medals, but decided against it for now. And technically most of these would belong on a Nuggets jacket, but it seemed awkward at the moment. Anyways, there's an All Rookie 1st team patch, a few All-Star patches on the back, and an All-NBA patch with chevrons underneath, the patch itself denoting the first one, a 3rd team selection, and the chevrons are his four subsequent selections, three 3rd teams (bronze) and one 2nd team (silver).

Jackets in the works: Canadiens (Rocket Richard), Nationals (that's a clown question, bro). It'll be a while due to my still working on what their patches will look like.

2016cubscreamsig.png

What a great concept. I imagine retired players would retain their jackets to be worn for special events, and might get a special patch or emblem for say a Hall of Fame election. (I would love to see what Yogi Berra's jacket would look like.)

Could also be done for individual athletes (golf, tennis with Grand Slam and season champs), Olympians. ... Indy 500 with wins, pole positions, rookie of the year, other awards. ...

Lots of possibilities. Nice work!

CK3ZP8E.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

No Yogi this time out, but will the Rocket do?

rocketrichardvarsityjacket.png

Yeh, it took me a little while, I wanted to make sure everything that needed to be in French was..well, in French. If I still made a few mistakes, I'm about as fluent in French as I am in Swahili, sorry about it. Had to combine approaches a bit...there was so much, as you can see.

edit: if I got anything wrong, I'll repost tomorrow. :censored:...edit 2: anyone wondering about the trophy in the Hart patch, that's what it looked like when Rocket won it.

2016cubscreamsig.png

• 9 months later...

Archived