The SL.net Logocast NHL Uniform Power Rankings

infrared41

I mostly agree, but I'd have Winnipeg straddling the line between mediocre and bad. There are things that I like, but the way the whole thing came together just wound up being so slapdash.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Blackhawks should be number one in all of them

Fixed that for you :P

Fixed that for YOU :upside:

Meh. The Blackhawks have great uniforms, but the Canadiens' red sweaters are hockey's equivalent of the Yankees' pinstripes. Pure class.

Notes (what I disagree with, what I want to point out, and a few random thoughts):

-Calgary should be last (at least in my opinion). They have the worst logo in the league (a boring letter with flames coming out it's ass), the worst shoulder logos in the league, a really bad template, a boring color scheme, and a third that will burn your corneas.

-The Ducks' primary logo is the standalone webbed D these days. Before anybody says, "yo funky, u wrong, the wurdmarks r on the jerseyz so dat makes it da primary logo), just remember that the Rangers' primary logo is the shield, not the slanted "Rangers" wordmark. Primary logo's don't have to be on the uniforms.

-Minnesota has a great logo, a great color scheme, but their uniforms are THAT much of a dumpster fire, that I personally would have them in the bottom 1/3 in the league.

-Columbus has a terrible logo. It's the Ohio state flag getting stretched out like chewing gum, wrapped around a 3D star.

-Toronto has a boring look, and they're using the wrong logo.

-The Isles rebrand was a downgrade color wise, but the new jerseys are an upgrade over their first "edge" uniform set.

-Blackhawks have the best overall uniform and logo set in the league. Their secondary logo is one of the best logos in professional sports. (Their primary is great too, thought)

My thoughts on the aggregated list.....because I don't want to go through all three.

Montreal should be #1, but seeing the Original Six make the top six, from three guys who aren't the biggest hockey fans, no less, is cool to see.

Buffalo and Tampa Bay are a bit to high. Buffalo for the pit stains and piping, Tampa Bay for their incredibly derivative look.

Winnipeg, Anaheim, and Los Angeles should be higher. They don't have the best looks, but I'd rank them as solid middle of the pack.

The Islanders should be higher. It's a very nice, simple look that works for the team that uses it.

St. Louis should be near the bottom of the list. It's incredibly bad, especially when compared to what they had pre-Edge.

Lightning in the top 10???!?!?!

No way. That bland clip art logo doesn't belong anywhere close to the top. Let alone above the Devils, a true classic, and the Sharks, a modern real logo.

I'm a Lightning fan and hate the logo. I'm an Isles fan too and love ours, never get the hate for it. I think it's awesome. Light years ahead of Tampa Bay.

2ly2w09.jpg

Montreal should be #1, but seeing the Original Six make the top six, from three guys who aren't the biggest hockey fans, no less, is cool to see.

The Islanders should be higher. It's a very nice, simple look that works for the team that uses it.

St. Louis should be near the bottom of the list. It's incredibly bad, especially when compared to what they had pre-Edge.

Mike W. (mania) is the only one of us that I'd say isn't a big hockey fan. Mike T. (raysox) is a pretty big Lightning fan and after walking away in 2005, I'm back with a vengeance as an NHL fan. (WTF was I thinking for 7 years? B) )

Islanders - Talk to my colleagues on that one. Those two yahoos have them as the worst look in the league. (I think there may have been a little collusion going on with the Islanders and the two Mikes.) I ranked them #3 - even with that awful third they wear.

The Blues third jersey scored really big with me.

BB52Big.jpg

I love the Blues' logo and color scheme, but the sweater design could be much better. Not a fan of the thirds, either, as the crest is too cluttered and it's not a very good application of their color scheme. I like the yellow on medium blue a lot; why get away from that to look like anyone?

I'm with ya on the Isles, Greg. I like their look. BUT that third, man. Enough to sink the ship for me. Good list. Like Matt said, cool to see the original six wind up at the top from 3 guys in non-original six cities. Means you all know what you're talking about :P

On the subject of the Islanders

hkhkhhhk.jpg79520qbne58r9i71zhuggbff0.gif

That's why they're low. The best they have ever looked was Post-Fisherman look. The navy and orange went so well together. The edge wasn't bad, but this new set is just a throwback to when they were actually relevant. The logo is thrown together. 4 elements kind of making a logo that is only "classy" because it's been around since the 70s.

If I may inquire infrared, why do you have the Blackhawks so low?

My guesses are either you don't like the variety of colors in the logos or the way the home and roads don't match. Because aside from those two factors coming into play I don't see how they merit to be ranked all the way down there.

Midway.png

I have no gripes with the Islanders' crest. Every team doesn't have to be a master-planned masterpiece and some teams shouldn't. The logo has an endearingly semi-pro quality about it, like it was some local club team that worked its way into the league. As a hockey team on Long Island, they basically exist on the figurative periphery of the literal periphery, so it doesn't make sense to me for them to look well-designed for mass appeal. Let them just be whatever it is they are, slapped-up logo and all.

-The Ducks' primary logo is the standalone webbed D these days. Before anybody says, "yo funky, u wrong, the wurdmarks r on the jerseyz so dat makes it da primary logo), just remember that the Rangers' primary logo is the shield, not the slanted "Rangers" wordmark. Primary logo's don't have to be on the uniforms.

Thing is with the Ducks, they made the mistake of making the wordmark the primary logo from day one of the rebrand. While the Ducks have made the transition to the standalone webfoot D everywhere except the regular uniforms, hardly anyone else has for them. The NHL and most of its teams still think it's the script (like in

), EA Sports had it as the script until only recently, the majority of Ducks branded merchandise still uses it, and a lot of the websites selling Ducks stuff still think it's the script. Not to mention this very site, for some reason, still lists the script as Anaheim's primary logo.

So, technically, the wordmark is still the primary logo as far as almost everyone else is concerned. And that sucks big time.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

On the subject of the Islanders

79520qbne58r9i71zhuggbff0.gif

4 elements kind of making a logo that is only "classy" because it's been around since the 70s.

This from a guy who thinks a picture of a cat with big teeth is one of the best looks in the league. BTW, who said it was "classy?"

BB52Big.jpg

The Isles should've made their set untouchable after their cup wins. They'd be cemented right up there with the original six. Now everyone's on the fence because they've thrown so much crap in.

This is exact same feeling I get from them.

untitled-6.jpg

Archived