Help Perfect My Clink Room "Hometown" Entry

mattwillcox

I've been working on my entry for the Clink Room's newest contest, and this is what I've got so far. The aim of the contest is to capture the essence of your hometown in a single cap logo, and that's what I've tried to do. I only have the space on the entry form seen below to communicate the "story", so I'm not going to give you guys any other background information. Hopefully you'll all get it, but if not let me know as I'm trying to make this as good as it can possibly be. Of course the story doesn't matter if the logo itself doesn't look good, so any critiques on the design itself would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you like it, hate it, and most importantly if you would wear it. And when the time comes I hope some of you like it enough to vote for it.

Steins%20Presentation_o.png

Oh, that's nice.

I don't know about Kitchener's ties to the colour green, but would you be better off using black, red, and gold if you're going for the German link? Honest question.

But really, this is beautiful.

The official city colours are green and gold so that where the scheme comes from. Here's the city flag just for reference.

I will mess around with a scheme that mimics the German flag though, couldn't hurt.

Kitchener_Flag.png

I like the current scheme, the green makes you think of Oktoberfest because laderhosen and those types of hats the beer is wearing (also vomit the next day :P) and the cream and gold give a perfect color for the beer. Although I am not a fan of the bill and button color

As much as I would love to darken the grey/wheat colour a bit, it's not really possible. Because the eventual winning designs get made into caps I have to work with New Era's quite limited 136 thread colour selection. I know it may sound like a lot, but the steps in between shades is pretty large. I'm still messing around with different colour combinations trying to get a bit more contrast, so hopefully I'll be able to fix the problem.

Thanks to everybody who's commented so far, it really is great to get this kind of feedback.

Not enough contrast in the colors.

That is my only critique.

This. There is virtually no contrast between the greens. Really well rendered.

I would totally buy this if it ever becomes real.

Badger_zps8961c467.png

Here are some different colour options to consider. The vegas gold and the silver are about as close to the wheat colour as I can get.

I should have explained my intentions with the hat originally. If this by chance does get produced the inside portions of the hat would be high raised embroidery in the same colour green thread as the base. The second green is just to somewhat show the effect that it would have.

Colour%20Options_o.png

Nice one Matt!

I'm a big fan of your work and I freekin' love this little guy too! So cheerful, yet totally has that boarderline angry/drunk look, ha ha.

I'm with Chris, all about that bottom right! Even though that hat and mo already say "German" those colours just throw it in your face.

It's a well rendered bold design so don't be scared of using a bold outline colour, like black.

Oh, it looks like the first batch of entries are up...

Seems that mine was the first to be posted... that's exciting/scary all at the same time.

Perhaps I might seek some C&C from you and the other guys on here at some stage.

Anyway, goodluck with the Kitchener Steins!

Cheers! (no pun intended)

I would definitely stick with the green. There are enough German references already that I think using the German flag colors would be overkill. Plus, the green ties in a lot more with your town, using the official colors of the city/flag.

I like either the top middle one or the bottom left. Great work and good luck!

Badger_zps8961c467.png

Top row middle for colorway.

Also, the angle of the Tyrol/Bavarian/Alpine hat needs to be adjusted. As it is now, the perspective is off. Either that, or Herr Stein is so drunk that he's taken to wearing his hat sideways on his head. The front, downturned brim should be extending out over the eyes, with the rear, upturned portion of the brim more hidden from view over the back of the head. In other words, the hat should be aligned at the same 3/4 angle as Herr Stein's face.

Love the expression on Herr Stein's face! Priceless!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back with another entry in the works! I'm calling this one "Lady Liberty". I've had the idea to do something along these lines for a while, and just now decided to bring it to fruition. It'd be great to get any type of feedback you can offer, as I'm looking to submit this design pretty soon.

LadyLiberty_zpsbb580f7e.png?t=1361830014

I saw this on the Clink Room a week or two ago, and I loved it. It was far an away my favorite on there. Out of the most recent color sets, I like the top middle or top left.

My only minor gripe is on the keyline where it juts out on the left side near the tip of the cap and the bottom of the foam. Is that supposed to be something...spillage/bubbles?

Great stuff. I'd totally pick one of these up if it gets selected.

Hey Matt! First of all tough break on the Mallards thing, did you end up re-submitting it or scrap it all together?...

Now onto Lady Liberty, I really dig her face, hair and the flame on the torch, hell the whole thing is pretty beautiful.

But I feel it needs a little something else to make her unique, maybe instead of the torch she is holding a hot dog or another NY street food item of sorts?...

Regardless, your rendering is great! I had trouble rendering a female face for an idea I was working on, so seeing this done so well gives me hope! (although I think I've moved on from that idea now)

Best of luck with it!

ps. as a guide I sent my 2nd design in over 2.5 weeks ago and it still hasn't been posted, so don't expect to see Lady Liberty posted anytime soon.

Hey Matt! First of all tough break on the Mallards thing, did you end up re-submitting it or scrap it all together?...

Now onto Lady Liberty, I really dig her face, hair and the flame on the torch, hell the whole thing is pretty beautiful.

But I feel it needs a little something else to make her unique, maybe instead of the torch she is holding a hot dog or another NY street food item of sorts?...

Regardless, your rendering is great! I had trouble rendering a female face for an idea I was working on, so seeing this done so well gives me hope! (although I think I've moved on from that idea now)

Best of luck with it!

ps. as a guide I sent my 2nd design in over 2.5 weeks ago and it still hasn't been posted, so don't expect to see Lady Liberty posted anytime soon.

I re-submitted the Mallards design, should be coming up soon as I sent it about 2 weeks ago. The face for Lady Liberty was really a challenge having never done a female logo before. I definitely see what you're saying about adding that little bit of extra New York flair into it too. I'll for sure work something up soon, I'm just going to hold off to hear if Casey has any input when it gets posted. Thanks for the feedback!

And I just saw your Embats redo get posted today. I'm really loving the new flame pompadour!

Archived