New OKC Thunder logo project

29texan

Ok, I'm starting (emphasizing "STARTING") on a logo project for the Thunder. Obviously it's not everyone's favorite. I said I could make a better logo, so I'm seeing what I can do.

This is just a start and I'm pretty sure you can guess the inspiration for what I'm doing, so here it is:

307376_4958230407008_1994854177_n.jpg

Any thoughts, constructive criticism before I keep going?

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

I would use less blue lines in his hair. It looks a little too messy as is. Also something about that lightning bolt on his helmet bothers me. Not sure what. Nice start though.

Like... is it a little wonky or just uneven?

Yeah, wonky sounds about right. As if it's not a real helmet, but something out of a costume shop.

I would make the lightning bolt coming out of the middle portion of the helmet and following about the same angel as the rest of the body is moving. With it going straight up in the air it really disrupts the flow of the logo. Also the lines need to be at least 7 to 8 times thicker. Less individual blue shapes on the hair was a good bit of advice I would try going with larger shapes it should give the logo a cleaner feel.

sportslogosbutton1.pngsportslogosbutton2.png

2l9mudh.jpg

I would make the lightning bolt coming out of the middle portion of the helmet and following about the same angel as the rest of the body is moving. With it going straight up in the air it really disrupts the flow of the logo. Also the lines need to be at least 7 to 8 times thicker. Less individual blue shapes on the hair was a good bit of advice I would try going with larger shapes it should give the logo a cleaner feel.

Wait, what about the bolt?

It should stick up like this?: \

Or this?: l

Or this?: -

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png

There is still too many lines on the hair, the nose mouth and chin don't flow, and the lightning bolt is still a bit wonky and needs to be filter down more think of the horns on the Vikings helmet. I also think ou should stick to the colors they use ATM as its a good scheme

There is still too many lines on the hair, the nose mouth and chin don't flow, and the lightning bolt is still a bit wonky and needs to be filter down more think of the horns on the Vikings helmet. I also think ou should stick to the colors they use ATM as its a good scheme

But those are the colors they use. I was sure to match their exact color scheme.

As for the face... yeah, I think I should touch up on that a bit. And I think I do have an idea of what I want to do with the lightning bolt. Give it more of a "winged" appearance, maybe?

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png

Guest darkpiranha

Can you flip the lightning bolt so that it's shooting down instead of up? That way, the bottom of the bolt could also serve as the faceguard/chinstrap thingy.

For the lightning bolt, I would redraw it so it starts moving away from the face like \, then when it zigzags, just use a horizontal line like —. That make sense?

Ah, ok.

I'm actually gonna do three different bolts a lil' later and just see which one looks better.

Oh and seancarter, Thor was around MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH longer than Marvel Comics, so I really don't think they have anything to say about it.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png

I think you're getting too complex here, but I do like the concept. If you want a dynamic look, focus on creating light on top of shadow, rather than the opposite (as you have done here). Essentially, you want to create the main shape of the logo, and then add shapes to define certain areas. I think the best logos are created from shapes, not lines. The simpler, the better, especially in sports.

As for the lightning bolt, I would arch it back. Start at the same angle, but curve it gradually so that the tip of the bolt is parallel with the horizontal axis. It's opposite of a Viking "horn", and I think it feeds into the charging look you have going with the overall angles in the logo.

Archived