Creating Vintage Mascot Logos (UPDATE: Lipscomb)

hettinger_rl

Hey all, I started a thread in the Sport Logos forum about vintage college mascots (http://boards.sports...e-mascot-logos/) and it inspired me to take a look at a few colleges that didn't have that style of logo.

I started with my alma mater South Dakota State University; their previous logo was taken straight from Warner Bros. and in 2006 had to abandon it. This is the concept sketch that I came up with:

sdjackrsz_.png
The body position was borrowed from NCSU, but the rest was either researched from SDSU or developed myself.

Next I turned my attention to SDSU's rival, USD. The coyotes had a Warner Bros. inspired mascot logo too. This is USD's concept sketch;

usdrsz.jpg
Again the body position was borrwed, this time from Navy, and the rest I came up with.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

This is fantastic. One critique - it feels redundant with both the SD on his sweater and the SDSU on the hat. Maybe put "Jacks" on the hat?

Also, much respect to the SDSU program. You guys came and played in Lincoln a couple years ago and BROUGHT IT. Most Husker fans thought the game would be a cakewalk, but the Jackrabbits gave us a great game and played their hearts out, even though they ultimately lost.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I'd choose one or the other monograms for the Coyote... preferably the USD one. Either way though... these are amazing! Can't wait to see them in color.

EDIT: By any chance, are you taking requests?

These pictures are a great source of inspiration, BTW: http://boards.sports...mily-portraits/

I love that old-timey feel. I'm not sure if you're limiting yourself to cartoony animal figures, but if you're up for a human mascot, I'd love to see your take on Herbie Husker.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I'd choose one or the other monograms for the Coyote... preferably the USD one. Either way though... these are amazing! Can't wait to see them in color.

EDIT: By any chance, are you taking requests?

These pictures are a great source of inspiration, BTW: http://boards.sports...mily-portraits/

I love that old-timey feel. I'm not sure if you're limiting yourself to cartoony animal figures, but if you're up for a human mascot, I'd love to see your take on Herbie Husker.

these are pretty sweet. And hand drawn! how long does it take you to finish these?

I might do requests, but I'm trying to add an old-time logo to schools that don't or haven't had a decent one. I'm a middle school art teacher by trade, so I do these with the little spare time I have during the day. If I were to estimate the time spent on each; SDSU- 3.5 hrs, USD- 4 hrs, CU- 2 hrs.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

grew up in south dakota and your sdsu logo is fantastic. have always thought both state schools lacked decent logos and now that they're in the big leagues (division 1) they deserve better logos. good work

I don't know if you've seen them recently but they both do have good logos now. At least in my opinion.

Untitled.png

Are you doing this JUST for teams that have a pre-existing "retro" feel, or any team?

Schools like Pitt, Notre Dame, Army, Ivy Leagues, have sort of that old school vibe already, and lots of history to drawn on. Schools with "Uber-modern" marketing images like Miami might be harder to pull off, but I think it could work.

UyDgMWP.jpg

grew up in south dakota and your sdsu logo is fantastic. have always thought both state schools lacked decent logos and now that they're in the big leagues (division 1) they deserve better logos. good work

I don't know if you've seen them recently but they both do have good logos now. At least in my opinion.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived