Jumping too late on the bandwagon

Wilt

Those 90's NBA throwbacks reminded me of the design trends of that decade that can be summarized in 3 points:

1. Changing the team colours into something "cooler" (e.g. teal, black, navy) and unrelated to team history

2. Introducing "cartoony" logo

3. Slapping the logo or at least the crazy wordmark on the uniforms combined with and overdesigned number font

Warriors, Wizards and 76ers (too some extent, they changed the uniforms twice during the 90s) were the last in NBA to follow that trend. They also kept that look for another decade while the rest of the league turned into simple designs. Can you think of other examples of "too late to be trendy"?

The Sixers were the first team to put a gradient on their uniforms... if anything, they started the trend.

Who else was there in the NBA world? Nets and Bucks are the only two I can think of at the moment. There has to be more.

The Sixers were the first team to put a gradient on their uniforms... if anything, they started the trend.

Yes, but they pulled off by switching to simpler uniforms and then they rebranded again with a new logo and black uniforms. So they started the trend but then they tried again when it was too late IMHO. They seem to be still ashamed of those gradient uniforms as they refused to use them on the court despite selling the throwbacks.

Nets were the first team with gradient unis - the airbrush-style powder blue set that they wore in 1990-91. The Sixers didn't add the starburst gradient until the following season.

Rockets used a gradient for their stripes, Suns used it for their primary logo, Hawks used it on the giant bird unis, Jazz used in on the mountain range unis, and the All-Star unis had gradient-filled stars for a few years.

Goes to show that just because a new technology (in this case sublimation) is available doesn't mean you HAVE to use it...

Aside from the aforementioned use of gradients amongst '90s trends, among the Big 4 I inmediately think of three things: teal, black, and (the one most forget until reminded) purple. The Charlotte Hornets started this back in '89 (?) with their teal and purple. The two Florida NBA teams also had black ss a team color, the Heat and Magic—.and then we watched, with the notable exception of the Florida Panthers and Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, every...single...expansion team born in the '90s have black as a team color, with most pairing it with either teal or purple. Obviously neither of the two NHL then-expansion clubs, the Senators or Lightning, had teal or purple, but the Florida Marlins and Colorado Rockies sure did, as did the Devil Rays initially—and the Arizona Diamondbacks came along and used ALL those colors...along with vegas gold which itself was a pretty trendy '90s color. See the Jacksonville Jaguars and Baltimore Ravens as examples—both of which were also teal and purple, respectively (at least the Ravens had a solid reason, though :P ...and depending on how far one's willing to stretch "teal and purple", one could argue the Mighty Ducks also used both, with their eggplant and jade.) Worth noting is the Jaguars' expansion brethren, the Panthers, who also introduced a new color to the landscape along with their black, cyan. (I do wonder what team will be the next to utilize that color as a primary.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Worth noting is the Jaguars' expansion brethren, the Panthers, who also introduced a new color to the landscape along with their black, cyan. (I do wonder what team will be the next to utilize that color as a primary.)

Technically speaking, that's Process Blue, not Cyan.

(Also used by the Boston/New Orleans/Portland Breakers of the USFL from 1983-1985.)

Aside from the aforementioned use of gradients amongst '90s trends, among the Big 4 I inmediately think of three things: teal, black, and (the one most forget until reminded) purple. The Charlotte Hornets started this back in '89 (?) with their teal and purple. The two Florida NBA teams also had black ss a team color, the Heat and Magic—.and then we watched, with the notable exception of the Florida Panthers and Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, every...single...expansion team born in the '90s have black as a team color, with most pairing it with either teal or purple. Obviously neither of the two NHL then-expansion clubs, the Senators or Lightning, had teal or purple, but the Florida Marlins and Colorado Rockies sure did, as did the Devil Rays initially—and the Arizona Diamondbacks came along and used ALL those colors...along with vegas gold which itself was a pretty trendy '90s color. See the Jacksonville Jaguars and Baltimore Ravens as examples—both of which were also teal and purple, respectively (at least the Ravens had a solid reason, though :P ...and depending on how far one's willing to stretch "teal and purple", one could argue the Mighty Ducks also used both, with their eggplant and jade.) Worth noting is the Jaguars' expansion brethren, the Panthers, who also introduced a new color to the landscape along with their black, cyan. (I do wonder what team will be the next to utilize that color as a primary.)

The Timberwolves didn't use the black originally. They introduced it 7 years after joining NBA.

The Ducks asymmetrical striping, established the year before the Reebok Edge, seems very inspired by the asymmetrical 90s looks.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The Ducks asymmetrical striping, established the year before the Reebok Edge, seems very inspired by the asymmetrical 90s looks.

But the Ducks had been wearing asymmetrical stripes since their inception. They just updated it to the new aesthetic and colors in 2006.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived