Evolution of the Miami Heat Logo

rmackman

Is the rim really necessary in this logo? I've never liked it; it's just floating there in space with no net. It looks like a halo. It used to be a white rim, and now it's a black rim. For these reasons (color, lack of net, floating in space), it doesn't resemble a rim much at all.

Wouldn't the logo work fine with just the ball on fire?

Is the rim really necessary in this logo? I've never liked it; it's just floating there in space with no net. It looks like a halo. It used to be a white rim, and now it's a black rim. For these reasons (color, lack of net, floating in space), it doesn't resemble a rim much at all.

I saw an "alternate" or Zephyr logo that looked like the Heat fireball without the rim once. It just looked naked. I'm sure there's an image out there if you look.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

My problem with their logo post gradient is the abrupt edge between the red and the yellow.

I'd do something like this to make the flow from red hot to yellow hot transition more smoothly, but without using gradients (which should almost never be used in sports logos).

Heat_zps44fb5d10.png

That's just a quick sketch to get my point across. Also, I preferred the white line to black. Makes the logo feel brighter, hotter, less heavy, all things associated with the concept of heat.

I was thinking about this last night. A better solution to the problem of the abrupt end of red and the beginning of the yellow separated arbitrarily by the rim is just to do this

heats3_zps15712c8c.pngheats2_zps49f94b78.png

I think this is as good as you can make the Heat's logo.

PvO6ZWJ.png

My problem with their logo post gradient is the abrupt edge between the red and the yellow.

I'd do something like this to make the flow from red hot to yellow hot transition more smoothly, but without using gradients (which should almost never be used in sports logos).

Heat_zps44fb5d10.png

That's just a quick sketch to get my point across. Also, I preferred the white line to black. Makes the logo feel brighter, hotter, less heavy, all things associated with the concept of heat.

I was thinking about this last night. A better solution to the problem of the abrupt end of red and the beginning of the yellow separated arbitrarily by the rim is just to do this

Looks cool, but makes the yellow way too prominent. Yellow is only a trim color (although why they have it stand out on the court so much, I have no idea.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Looks cool, but makes the yellow way too prominent. Yellow is only a trim color (although why they have it stand out on the court so much, I have no idea.

It's about as thick in the logo as the stripe on the white jerseys.

miamiheat3.jpg

Plus the afforementioned court paint. And a lot of teams use logos where a color is featured prominently on the logo but not in the rest of the uniform. The Blackhawks and Steelers are two examples off the top of my head.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Plus the aforementioned court paint. And a lot of teams use logos where a color is featured prominently on the logo but not in the rest of the uniform. The Blackhawks and Steelers are two examples off the top of my head.

It drives me nuts how often I see publications or networks use Yellow as a secondary color for the Arizona Cardinals.

Fox Sports for example, uses Red and Yellow for the Cardinals' first-down graphics.

Red and White or Red and Black. No Yellow.

I know most people don't like gradients, but the Heat logo is one that really lends itself to having a gradient IMO.

My understanding is that traditionalists have typically avoided the use of gradient colors in logos. Why is that?

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

I know most people don't like gradients, but the Heat logo is one that really lends itself to having a gradient IMO.

My understanding is that traditionalists have typically avoided the use of gradient colors in logos. Why is that?

One of the biggest reasons has to do with how gradients translate to embroidery.

It almost always looks like crap.

One of the biggest reasons has to do with how gradients translate to embroidery.

It almost always looks like crap.

Thanks. I was thinking it is probably difficult to reproduce in certain mediums.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

The net was burnt off.

I have always liked this logo, even though it is not perfect, and think it is much better with the rim (maybe because it reminds me of NBA JAM when you get "on fire" and burn the net off). In the first graphic posted, I like the middle one best, although the gradient version is one of the few gradient logos that actually works. Having the lines white works better than the current black lines, probably because lines that are light colors always tend to look thicker than dark lines, so the white lines pop better in my opinion. In the white-lined versions, the lines also get thicker near the back by the flames which makes it look more like the ball is melting into the flame as opposed to the one now where the black lines stay the same width throughout.

It is also one of the few NBA logos where the wordmark stands alone from the rest of the logo itself which makes it somewhat unique. The Pacers and Bulls are others that come to mind.

Archived