American Football Worldwide - Croatia

sc49erfan15

Finally - a place where American football is not only feasible, but is already played!

Previously in American Football Worldwide:

701px-Croatia_in_Europe_%28-rivers_-mini_map%29.svg.png

The Republic of Croatia located in southern Europe, across the Adriatic Sea from Italy. Croatia itself dates back to the 800s, but was ruled by the Habsburg dynasty and then the Kingdom of Austria-Hungary for centuries. After Austria-Hungary was broken up following World War I, the "Kingdom of Serbs, Croats, and Slovenes" was formed - that country would later take on the more concise and well-recognized name of Yugoslavia. Upon the dissolution of Yugoslavia in the early 1990s, Croatia (along with Slovenia) were the first former Yugoslav republics to declare independence, on June 25, 1991. A four-year war for independence was fought against Yugoslav forces, ending in 1995 with a Croatian victory. Today, Croatia enjoys a "very high" ranking on the Human Development Index and has largely prospered as an independent state.

Soccer is the most popular sport in Croatia, followed by handball and basketball. The Croatian national soccer team won a bronze medal in its 1998 World Cup debut, and is currently ranked #4 in the world by FIFA. Croatia's national basketball team only lost two games in Croatia's Olympic debut in Barcelona 1992 - both to the USA's Dream Team - and took the silver medal. Today, Croatia is ranked #16 worldwide by FIBA. Croatia was one of the first European nations to regularly send players to the NBA, most notably Drazen Petrovic, Toni Kukoc, and Dino Radja. As for American football in Croatia, there is a federation established in 2003 and a handful of teams, most notably the Zagreb Thunder. Should Croatia enter international American football competition, their uniform could look like this...

CroatiaFootball_zpse151b58b.png

Clearly I wanted to make heavy use of the checkers (without overdoing it) as the checkered pattern is well-used by Croatian sports teams, and I don't really feel like anything else needs explanation. Thoughts?

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

LOVE how that looks...the royal blue & red checkerboard stripes just make it a beaut!

Overall, a really solid series. Looking foward to whichever country the random generator picks out next...

bYhYmxh.png

My only complain, not about this concept, but about all the series. You are using the Capital name instead of some traditional national name. In Croatia you could use some surname with "ic" no final, as Petrovic, Kovacevic, Petkovic. Just saying.

My only complain, not about this concept, but about all the series. You are using the Capital name instead of some traditional national name. In Croatia you could use some surname with "ic" no final, as Petrovic, Kovacevic, Petkovic. Just saying.

I considered that, but just ended up going with the capital city out of convenience. Some countries don't have "traditional" national names.

I also updated the Croatia set with blue pants:

CroatiaFootball2_zpse70ea8b9.png

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Archived