American Football Worldwide - Saint Kitts and Nevis

sc49erfan15

Previously in American Football Worldwide:

loc_st_kitts_nevis.gif

The Federation of Saint Kitts and Nevis is located in the East Caribbean, and consists (surprise!) of the islands of Saint Kitts (also known as Saint Christopher) and Nevis. The island country is the smallest sovereign state in the Americas in both land area (104 sq. mi.) and population (~51,000), and is also the newest country in the Americas in terms of independence (1983). The islands were discovered by the Europeans by Columbus in 1493, and subsequently became the base for English and French colonization in the Caribbean. Alexander Hamilton, the first United States Secretary of the Treasury and whose likeness graces the $10 bill, was born on Nevis. For centuries, the islands were separate colonies of Britain and almost solely dependent on sugar production for export. In 1983, the islands became independent from Britain as a two-island federation, with provisions for Nevis to break away from the federation if it so wishes. An independence referendum was held in Nevis in 1998 - 62% of Nevisians voted for independence, but a two-thirds majority was needed for the referendum to succeed. With the island's no-longer-profitable sugar industry closing in 2005, Saint Kitts and Nevis' economy is almost wholly dependent on tourism today.

Cricket, as it is in most of the West Indies, is the most popular sport, with Saint Kitts and Nevis being represented by the West Indies cricket team. The islands' soccer team, "The Sugar Boyz," has never qualified for the World Cup but have placed twice in the Caribbean Cup. FIFA rankings currently have the Sugar Boyz ranked 137th in the world. At the Olympics, Saint Kitts and Nevis made its Olympic debut at the 1996 Games in Atlanta and have competed (sending only track and field athletes) at every games since. Saint Kitts and Nevis has never won an Olympic medal, its best finish in a final has been 6th. American football (I'm starting to sound like a broken record here) has little chance to ever catch on in Saint Kitts and Nevis due to its small population - but, playing "What If?"...

StKittsNevisFootball_zps856d85c2.png

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Love the uniform, especially the pants stripes, but I don't like that logo. The letters S K and N just don't look right next to each other on a helmet, especially in different colors. I think the arched SKN in green with the yellow outline would look nice.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I think I get the idea of the SKN logo on the helmet: He's trying to evoke the flag without using the flag itself. By using the elements of the flag (green 'S', black 'K', red 'N', the two stars and the yellow highlight), it can evoke the flag and the colors without using the flag itself.

As for the concept itself, I like it. It fits well for a team in that area.

I think the SKN is creative. However, is there a way to make the "arms" of the "K" a similar angle as the stripe on the flag. Basically sell the play off of the flag a little more.

I'm really glad as a geography nerd that you have restarted this series!

I agree one hundred percent. An awesome thread.

Thanks guys! As for the SKN, Seadragon was right on - I tried to be reminiscent of the flag without just slapping the flag pattern over the letters. I tried a ton of different ways to get the SKN to work, but it's an odd grouping that really doesn't lend itself well to intertwined letter monograms. As for having the angle of the "K" the same as the angle on the flag - I tried that, but it looks forced and clashes with the angles of the "N."

This is one of the other ideas I had for the logo until I scrapped it:

stkampn_zpsa7a530bf.png

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Archived