No-Wahoo Cleveland Baseball (New Uni Set 3-10-2014)

keithisgood

Been a lurker for a bit here; great stuff all around. As a Cleveland fan, I'd like to see the team move farther and farther from Chief Wahoo. The problem is the Block C alternative is a bit meh. I've tried my hand at a few newer iterations trying to combine an uppercase C with the contours/features of chief wahoo.

This first is an attempt at combining the 1920's Indians C with the Chief:
sCGSL3n.png
The notch comes from the 1920's logo but mirrors the curvature and placement of Chief Wahoo's cheeks. Same for the serif at the tail of the C.

Take 2 tried to work with the team's current Block C:
GPTkM8A.png
It's pretty much the same, only with the 1920's notch (again placed with respects to Chief Wahoo's face) and the top serif echoing the Chief's feather.

My final go scraps any previous template and aims to create an Old-English styled C, again using "feathered" serifs and the 1920s/Wahoo hybrid Notch. This also includes an "le" inside the C to disambiguate Cleveland from the Bevy of other C teams:
ZRsm38F.png

I think I prefer the last iteration; any other opinions? I have the .xcf source files for each if anyone wishes to poke around with them.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lowering the notch as a nod to Chief Wahoo is probably much too subtle for the general public. Really clever though. I'd say it works great for the first logo, but should be moved to the center for the block C (my favorite as well).

The Old English C is a good idea but looks disproportionate (though again that could just be the lowered notch).

Sample Home and Away sets for Cleveland using the latest version of my updated Lettermark #NoWahoo:

8c1fUot.pngs1ciVKK.png

A bit of a throwback to the late 80's version (I'm a sucker for the racing stripes). Home uses Cleveland's current Sunday Alt cream color. The laurel comes directly from the Cleveland City flag with the two stars representing each of Cleveland's World Series titles.

Away uniform is basically an iteration from the 1989 uniform, only with the New C in place of Wahoo.

Much prefer your block C with the feather, the second iteration would be best with sharp corners.

Jn12h59.png

Despite my own preference to the old english style, your opinion is the prevading one. And there's something to be said for simplicity, no?

Anyway, rounded the Old English C to make it better fit in a laurel. Still not great.

OagFMRU.png

Much prefer your block C with the feather, the second iteration would be best with sharp corners.

Jn12h59.png

Despite my own preference to the old english style, your opinion is the prevading one. And there's something to be said for simplicity, no?

Anyway, rounded the Old English C to make it better fit in a laurel. Still not great.

OagFMRU.png

I can't really comment on how valid an old English C is to Cleveland as I know nothing of the place but the laurel just doesn't suit the uniform. Your block C is a really clever iteration of an existing element (which although its decent could be described as plain). I actually prefer it with the notch and the feather raised higher so that it registers as a feather on a C, rather than an upside down G.

sig.png

The Indians current block C is so bland, but just the simple addition of the "feather" makes it so much more interesting and so much more "Indians". I like the notch on that logo too, not too many people would make the connection between a block logo and the short-lived, 2-redesigns-ago Angels logo.

The Old English is riskier, especially since Detroit plays in the same division and kind of owns that. They're both very cool and would represent substantial upgrades though.

Archived