MLB Top 3/ Bottom 3 logos

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assuming we are talking primary logos:

1) Blue Jays

2) Yankees

3) Mariners

All three are roundels, but I think they are unique and much more interesting than the "put cap logo in middle of roundel" logos that are taking over the league. The Blue Jays' primary seems destined to be a modern classic and one that has no reason to be changed for decades. Likewise, though the current take on the Yanks' roundel only dates to the 1970s or so, the general execution is done very well and equally seems timeless. And the same goes with Seattle: it's just a very well-done roundel that also uses some colors that you don't see elsewhere throughout the league.

28) Padres

29) Rangers

30) Rays

I don't hate roundels. Not at all. But I don't like lazy roundels. Both the Padres and Rangers had more interesting logos in the past, and when it came time for a roundel logo, they just plopped their cap logos into the center, changed the colors and then put "NAME OF TEAM BASEBALL CLUB" around the edge. Lazy and feels very generic: any other team could do the exact same thing with similar results. As for the Rays, I much preferred the "Devil Rays" branding and I just don't like their primary. It's just so... boring.

I know Miami gets a lot of flack, but one of the key things for me is that it's unique: you will never confuse it for any other team, which I think is a very important element of design. It might not look great, but it's unmistakably the Miami Marlins and therefore already better than the lazy roundel logos. Likewise, other teams that use unique color schemes within the league (Colorado's purple and Oakland's green) mean their logos are not confused for any others, and that alone means more than what they actually look like.

Including my votes (below) for primary logos, here are the results so far FOR THE PRIMARY LOGOS ONLY:

Most top 3 votes: TOR, STL, NYM, SEA, KC, NYY, ARI/BOS/CIN/CLE/DET/HOU, ATL/BAL/CHC/CHW/LAA/LAD/MIA/MIL/OAK/PHI/TB (7 teams haven't received a top 3 vote)

Most bottom 3 votes: MIA/SD, PIT, MIL/TB, TEX/WAS, CLE/LAD/MIN/NYY, SF, BOS/CHW, ARI/BAL/COL/DET/KC/NYM/OAK/PHI (8 teams haven't received a bottom 3 vote)

Teams appearing in top 3 and bottom 3: ARI, BAL, BOS, CHW, CLE, DET, KC, LAD, MIA, MIL, NYM, NYY, OAK, PHI, TB

Weighted votes [5, 3, 1, -1, -3, -5]: 1-TOR, 2-STL, 3-NYM, 4-SEA, 5-CIN, 6-HOU, 7-ARI/KC, 9-DET, 10-ATL/LAA, 12-NYY, 13-CHC, 14-BOS, 15-CHW, 16-OAK/PHI, 18-BAL/SF, 20-COL, 21-MIN, 22-LAD, 23-CLE, 24-MIL/TEX/WAS, 27-PIT, 28-TB, 29-SD, 30-MIA

Also interesting, all 30 teams have received at least 1 vote.

1- gnnnrbxcmjhdgeu6mavqk3945.gif

2- m01gfgeorgvbfw15fy04alujm.gif

3- 2559d7603ouedg7ldhw0br4fn.gif

(almost made the cut: Angels, Mariners, Phillies)

====================================

28- y6oklqzigo1ver57oxlt60ee0.gif

29- uorovupw0jagctt6iu1huivi9.gif

30- lty880yrmrra64y6tqfqmdnbf.gif

ujsignature.png

Archived