MLB Top 3/ Bottom 3 logos

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dont get all the Mets love, they don't even play in Manhattan. And coming from someone who actually lived in Astoria for a time, there's nothing really iconic about the Queensboro Bridge

Top 3 logos:

1. Cardinals

2. Astros

3. Jays

Bottom 3 logos:

28. Red Sox/White Sox (laundry bores me)

29. Rays

30. Marlins

In terms of caps, this also may be unpopular but I find most of the lettered caps to be boring. Some are classic just due to their sheer longevity ( BOS, NYY, CHC, DET, etc.) But most of the others are just kind of "meh". Never was in love with the "LA" or "SF" hats and the Nationals' Walgreen's W is just outright boring and throwing back to a franchise that left town far too long ago.

I give credit to teams like the Orioles, Indians, and Jays who do something different. Also like when teams like the Brewers and Expos take the traditional letters and do something fun with them. Astros and the old "F" Marlins to a lesser extent.

I'm not understanding the hate for the Rays... What's wrong with it?

oh, i like this game :)

Tampa-Bay-Rays.jpg

the concept alone lacks imagination. it's a pet peeve of mine, but using sporting equipment (or in this case a diamond) as an element in the logo drives me nuts. nothing says "generic sports team" like a ball, glove, helmet, diamond, etc. i can tolerate it sometimes if it's a subtle addition, but in the case of the Rays' it's the primary element.

i think the detail is too much and too weak, creating tangents all over the place. the thin lines clutter the logo and also have a cheap feeling to them. im sure it looks terrible in embroidery too, so now you're running into "performance" issues with the logo.

The font is a bad choice and the styling is poor. you have weak, thin lines all around it and some of the letter forms still gets lost against the blue diamond. i think the amount of space between each letter is uncomfortable especially with the feet of every letter crashing into another one.

the yellow star only adds to the complexity and annoyance.

the color palette is also bad. every color is so intense. it would improve a lot with a navy or royal blue that was just a bit softer; less saturated.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I'm not understanding the hate for the Rays... What's wrong with it?

oh, i like this game :)

Tampa-Bay-Rays.jpg

the concept alone lacks imagination. it's a pet peeve of mine, but using sporting equipment (or in this case a diamond) as an element in the logo drives me nuts. nothing says "generic sports team" like a ball, glove, helmet, diamond, etc. i can tolerate it sometimes if it's a subtle addition, but in the case of the Rays' it's the primary element.

i think the detail is too much and too weak, creating tangents all over the place. the thin lines clutter the logo and also have a cheap feeling to them. im sure it looks terrible in embroidery too, so now you're running into "performance" issues with the logo.

The font is a bad choice and the styling is poor. you have weak, thin lines all around it and some of the letter forms still gets lost against the blue diamond. i think the amount of space between each letter is uncomfortable especially with the feet of every letter crashing into another one.

the yellow star only adds to the complexity and annoyance.

the color palette is also bad. every color is so intense. it would improve a lot with a navy or royal blue that was just a bit softer; less saturated.

Interesting take on it. I must just be a homer when it comes to the Rays. I liked Milwaukee old logo, the one with the glove though.

It's a :censored:ing ray of sunshine! How stupid is that?!

It's not like a team that keeps a name for history.

They deleted part of their name so now they are only the rays of sunshine. It's hilarious.

2ly2w09.jpg

They deleted part of their name so now they are only the rays of sunshine. It's hilarious.

Rays sounds better then Devil Rays... It was a stupid decision to call them the Devil Rays in the first place, people called them the Rays before anyway. It's like they couldn't choose between the Tampa Bay Devils or the Tampa Bay Rays and just went with it.

As is the notion that you have any idea what you're talking about.

BrandMoore, I understand your detailed explanation of the flaws, but I think you're over thinking it a little too much. I do happen to like te wordmark. The serifs aren't "crashing" into each other, they're stylized that way. I happen to think it looks fine. I do agree that the primary as a whole does seem like the wordmark was slapped on top of the diamond and they called it a day. But as noted before, primary logos in baseball are in all actuality basically secondary to the cap logos, and at times even the jersey wordmarks, so while yes, it's one of the more underwhelming primaries, and I don't believe it's the epitome of their whole identity. And I also disagree on the colors. I think the light (cobalt) navy/Columbia is a beautiful combination and the touch of gold is perfectly used as that small detailed third color.

Rays sounds better then Devil Rays... It was a stupid decision to call them the Devil Rays in the first place, people called them the Rays before anyway. It's like they couldn't choose between the Tampa Bay Devils or the Tampa Bay Rays and just went with it.
No they just named themselves after the devil ray, the sea animal. No confusion.

BrandMoore, I understand your detailed explanation of the flaws, but I think you're over thinking it a little too much. I do happen to like the wordmark. The serifs aren't "crashing" into each other, they're stylized that way. I happen to think it looks fine. I do agree that the primary as a whole does seem like the wordmark was slapped on top of the diamond and they called it a day. But as noted before, primary logos in baseball are in all actuality basically secondary to the cap logos, and at times even the jersey wordmarks, so while yes, it's one of the more underwhelming primaries, and I don't believe it's the epitome of their whole identity. And I also disagree on the colors. I think the light (cobalt) navy/Columbia is a beautiful combination and the touch of gold is perfectly used as that small detailed third color.

For me, it's not so much the kerning as it is the "tail" of the "R". I don't like how it stretches out so much and how it laps over the "A". Regarding the colour scheme, it's not that what they have is bad, it's that they ditched a great-looking and unique palette for something much more generic. Plus, they use Columbia Blue in such a small capacity, so they'e essentially just another all-navy team.

-BigBubba

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

BrandMoore, I understand your detailed explanation of the flaws, but I think you're over thinking it a little too much. I do happen to like the wordmark. The serifs aren't "crashing" into each other, they're stylized that way. I happen to think it looks fine. I do agree that the primary as a whole does seem like the wordmark was slapped on top of the diamond and they called it a day. But as noted before, primary logos in baseball are in all actuality basically secondary to the cap logos, and at times even the jersey wordmarks, so while yes, it's one of the more underwhelming primaries, and I don't believe it's the epitome of their whole identity. And I also disagree on the colors. I think the light (cobalt) navy/Columbia is a beautiful combination and the touch of gold is perfectly used as that small detailed third color.

For me, it's not so much the kerning as it is the "tail" of the "R". I don't like how it stretches out so much and how it laps over the "A". Regarding the colour scheme, it's not that what they have is bad, it's that they ditched a great-looking and unique palette for something much more generic. Plus, they use Columbia Blue in such a small capacity, so they'e essentially just another all-navy team.

-BigBubba

I have a feeling that the columbia Blue might be used a little more next year. Everyone loves the Faux-paux 70's uniforms as well as the Columbia Blue Alternate kits over here in Tampa. In fact, it's almost like 50/50.

BrandMoore, I understand your detailed explanation of the flaws, but I think you're over thinking it a little too much. I do happen to like te wordmark. The serifs aren't "crashing" into each other, they're stylized that way. I happen to think it looks fine. I do agree that the primary as a whole does seem like the wordmark was slapped on top of the diamond and they called it a day. But as noted before, primary logos in baseball are in all actuality basically secondary to the cap logos, and at times even the jersey wordmarks, so while yes, it's one of the more underwhelming primaries, and I don't believe it's the epitome of their whole identity. And I also disagree on the colors. I think the light (cobalt) navy/Columbia is a beautiful combination and the touch of gold is perfectly used as that small detailed third color.

No they just named themselves after the devil ray, the sea animal. No confusion.

I know exactly what I'm talking about.

Do I have to link the article here again when the owner stated they were now a ray of sunshine that radiates like a beacon?

Nice try though trying to call me out. You're wrong though.

2ly2w09.jpg

Logos:

1.Blue Jays

2.Marlins

3.Cardinals

Worst:

I have number of them - basically any logo that has the team nickname/city initials superimposed on a circle with the geographic name on top and the nickname on the bottom...

A's

Twins

Rangers

Brewers

Mariners

Padres (NOT the homeplate with the scripted Padres & the wave)

Caps;

Detroit

Toronto

Cleveland (Chief Wahoo logo)

Cleveland ( C-alternative logo)

Philadelphia

NY Mets

Primaries:

1: m01gfgeorgvbfw15fy04alujm.gifEverything about this just works for me - the colours, design, everything.

2: fmrl2b6xf5hruiike42gn62yu.gifSimple, yet timeless.

3: 6xk2lpc36146pbg2kydf13e50.gifNot the most exciting of logos, but the colours couldn't be better.

28: cpqj6up5bvgpoedg5fwsk20ve.gif Looks like generic 90s clip art.

29: uorovupw0jagctt6iu1huivi9.gif Just laughable - awful colours, the pirate looks terrible...

30: wnyd2zhh84f50ux4uxyqbktbh.gifThe fact this logo still exists in 2013 baffles me. Should have been consigned to the past years ago.

Do I have to link the article here again when the owner stated they were now a ray of sunshine that radiates like a beacon?

Ya when they rebranded, they were originally named after the devilray animal, they could have kept the same stingray when they rebranded and dropped the devil part to please the religious folk

Ya when they rebranded, they were originally named after the devilray animal, they could have kept the same stingray when they rebranded and dropped the devil part to please the religious folk

That would have been alot better than the stupid rays of sunshine.

Where's my buddy who called me out? He hasn't been back to see he was wrong huh?

But their identity really sucks now. The colors, the logo, the name. They'll be moving soon enough so maybe that will all change.

2ly2w09.jpg

Archived