roller hockey

puckcool22

Nope, not in the Olympics. Quite frankly, I can't really see this being an event in the Olympics for a long time to come.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

When I was more involved with roller hockey, back in the day, it seemed like it was picking up enough momentum to be included. Unfortunately, that momentum seems to have faded on a high level, though on the grass-roots level, the game is as strong as ever.

I'll have to agree with bs on this one, I can't see it happening for a while. But, perhaps by 2012, we'll see it in as a demonstration sport.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

It was a demonstration sport in 1992, I think...

The '92 Summer Olympics? :therock:

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

I'm sorry but what do you mean by demonstration sport in the Olympics? I'm assuming it wasn't an official event.

Retired Number's To Come

Roller hockey was a demonstration sport in 1992 at the Barcelona Summer Olympics. It is also a full-medal event at the Pan-American games. We all know about the doomed RHI, but I've heard rumours among some local rink owners (I play RH) that there may be another pro league starting up. So far, nothing noteable, just something that I thought was interesting.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

The first time a sport is added, it is known as a "demonstration sport." Official medals are not awarded for the events, but it is otherwise part of the Olympics.

More info: http://www.topendsports.com/events/discontinued/demo.htm

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Well I learned something new about the Olympics today.

Check this out........

Bandy:(Soccer on ice) 1952 Winter Games in Oslo, Norway

Retired Number's To Come

For a more extensive list of current and past Olympic events, see http://explanation-guide.info/meaning/Olympic-sports.html.

Interesting tidbit: Ice hockey was first held as an Olympic event during the Summer games. The Summer games. They had it in an open ended building (similar to a giant carport or an aircraft hangar). Apparently the sun was so bright at times reflecting off of the ice that they had to postpone play.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

I honestly don't think Roller hockey will be a big sport (I mean aprouch the level the AFL is for football) or be an olympic sport. If you look at the players for the RHI they were mostly minor league guys that were in the ECHL. The players were mostly doing it for the extra money.

i personally think pro roller hockey might work as a summer sport- as a fast paced, low attention span, flashy alternative to baseball.

it would have to be run smoothly though, only starting with like 6-8 teams in the markets that love roller hockey and ice hockey secondary

ex:

long island

northern calif

southern calif

detroit

minnesota

vegas

florida

signature.gif

I remember seeing it in the Pan-Am games as mentioned above...the Cnadian team won the goal only to have it stripped when the goalie tested positive for a banned substance--I forget which--his response was ,"SO?" which of course endeared him to nobody...

I forget his name as well--just as well though...

He thought he had a chance at the NHL, but his attitude about the banned substance hurt him, and he wasn't going to be a dominant goalie anyways...

Roller hockey in general seemed odd to watch--some of the rule differences from ice hockey made sense, but some seemed to be there just for the sake of being different...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

to me, having "roller hockey" be seperate from "ice hockey" is like saying that football in the snow is different than football on a sunny dry field.

i played roller hockey in a house league for a while, and i've played some ice hockey too... i barely notice a difference. if you can play one, you can play the other.

who would play on the roller hockey team? the same players that are on the ice hockey team? the NHLers who couldn't make the national team, so they go to "junior varsity" olympic hockey? :)

i dunno. roller hockey is awesome, but i don't consider it it's own sport, really... i consider it more to be a substitution for when you don't have ice... like using a volleyball for a pick-up soccer game, or using a bottle cap for a puck in stiga table hockey :)

Archived