NHL Logo Rankings

Evil G

I think some people may tend to discredit the Hawks logo because they look at it from a pure design perspective in which they are accustomed to evaluate things that follow a certain set of rules. Any of which can include the appropriate application of stroke widths, the right color distributions, and visual symmetry just to name a few. In this sense there is a lot that the logo doesn't actually execute effectively. You can draw this kind of conclusion by simply pointing to details like the extraneous amount of colors, the lack of motion in the overall shape of the logo, or even the friendly nature of the caricature that doesn't fit in with all the modern interpretations of machismo.

But I view the logo a little differently and take into account what the logo does indeed accomplish through its apparent flaws. For example, how often does a logo with extra colors beyond the actual team color pallet sit on a jersey and complement it perfectly? I've seen countless concepts thrown around where people try to limit the colors in the feathers and even the skin tone in the name of limited colors and the end result is always much blander, more stale version of its real counterpart. Truth be told the logo truly stands out at its finest with all the colors included because it intends to best depict the real shades of a Native American head profile, without actually forcing the image to look like an accurate render. Which leads me on to my next point.

Its safe to say that the Blackhawks logo is no stranger to the political correctness issue. Some of the accusations thrown its way have been fair to some extent and much more so with the increasing number of teams shying away from this theme. When I look at Native American imagery in sports as a whole, I come to find that there is actually a lot the logo gets away with that makes it passable. Bring in Chief Wahoo or the Redskins nickname and what you have is a case for some outright racist connotations but the negative reception is not as applicable with the Blackhawks logo and for good reason. Where similar team identities focus on romanticizing Native Americans with barbaric images of aggressive warriors and red flesh tones, the Blackhawks instead honor a military unit (whose namesake is derived from the courageous Sauk tribe leader) with a toned down, render of a Native American who displays no sign of hostility.

In fact there's something about the face that just exudes confidence and brand success whether it be through the smug expression or the way its basic design has stood the test of time and hardly ever looked dated. Among its many other quirks and its natural tendency to get way with walking the fine lines of controversy, it almost makes this logo the troll face of the sports logos world and simply brilliant at it. Where about 90% of sports identities fit the bill of being on the safe side, the Blackhawks bend the rules and still look better than most. At least, this is why I hold the logo so highly.

I'd like to explain it better for you but in reality it can only be understood.

Midway.png

Maybe the entire list is stupid since there are more votes for one logo and less votes for others skewing the percentages.

Would you like the ratings to be based off 30 people's consensus?

Just sayin' If i could get 100 people to vote Tampa Bay a 10 everyday and have them number one, it would skew the list here. This is basically an All-star game vote by the fans.

It's really the only way I could get a consensus, but that argument would ask then why would I make this topic and so on and so forth.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

Archived