Giving the NHL a 1920's Rebrand - (Los Angeles Kings 7/30)

MrWonka

So let me just give a quick little intro to this series. It may aswell be a second coming of my latest thread 'Wonka's NHL Redesign'. Almost like a 'prequel'. I guess this is for me to get away from the Reebok Edge template I've used for too long. I've gotten bored with designing with that template. Recently (one of my latest threads) has me using the CCM template. I used it because I think that's roughly the template the actual team will be using. I actually really enjoyed how the image came out, and thus this series was born.

I was going to do a 90's re-do but the jerseys really wouldn't be that much different. It would just be a de-edge series which I've seen recently by a couple of people. To make it different and hopefully a bit more bizarre I made it a 1920's re-do. Now of course let me get this off so people understand, I know they didn't use this template in the 20's, nor will every jersey be a perfectly imaged 1920's look. My mindset going into this is:

-A lot of striping

-A lot of Chest stripes

-Lighter colors

Now, there are a couple of things you will see from this series so I will point them out right now:

-I will use the current logo from each team. I will not design logos or use past logos, each logo will be a logo the team uses currently

-Each jerseys colors will be a washed out version of their current color set.

-ALL OF THE VINTAGE WHITE YOU SEE IN THIS SERIES is not meant to be actual vintage white. It is actual white, I'm just using a vintage white to show the aging of the jerseys (like washing out the colors). So keep in your mind white when you see vintage. Hopefully I can give the NHL a very very fauxback look with this series. I hope you enjoy.

Without further ...whatever show the concept

Winnipeg Jets: 1920's

Top - Light/Home

Bottom - Dark/Away

25f5zxf.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the irony of a team named the "Jets" in the faux-1920s.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

No, no. The true irony of this concept is that either jersey could be used as a home or away. I mean the top jersey could have a huge yoke and striping, or one huge chest stripe, from whatever way you look at it.

That being said, I look forward to seeing the rest of this series.

Jake88%2BSignture.png

No, no. The true irony of this concept is that either jersey could be used as a home or away. I mean the top jersey could have a huge yoke and striping, or one huge chest stripe, from whatever way you look at it.

Not going to lie. I posted the top one to be the dark jersey and home. And right before clicking 'post' I switched it.

A lot of these will be confusing. But looking at the teams during the 20's and their one jersey. It couldn't definitely get a little tricky.

I look forward to the rest too! So many different things that I could do compared to maybe whats more accepted today, you know?

Yeah, that has me confused as well. I feel like with a yoke that big, the top colour is the colour of the jersey. But I feel that coloured numbers go on the white jersey and white numbers go on the coloured jersey. See my problem?

Yeah, that has me confused as well. I feel like with a yoke that big, the top colour is the colour of the jersey. But I feel that coloured numbers go on the white jersey and white numbers go on the coloured jersey. See my problem?

Woah , woah , woah. Chest stripe. Not yokes :P

My thoughts: the sweater is plausible, and would have been used the for both home and away in the 1920s, as long as the two teams competing weren't too similar. I think I read somewhere that when Detroit switched from their Cougars/Falcons white sweaters to their red Red Wings ones, they added a white "pinnie" to play the mainly-red Canadiens- which in my mind is reflected to this day in Detroit's unique white sweater with the red sleeves (also giving them red "wings"). The Jets name is a bit anachronistic- Jet then would have meant a black colour, or a spout of water or gas, but not a working aeroplane. Similarly, the current logo is far too modern for that era. Winnipeg teams historically included the Victorias, Falcons, and Monarchs- Falcons might be the closest fit, if not for Detroit using that nickname from 1930-32.

As your project continues, a similar issue may come up elsewhere- for example, in the 1920s, Edmonton was far more a coal town than an oil town, and its sports teams all seemed to use "Eskimos," including hockey.

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

^^ someone takes concepts too seriously.

If anyone was to genuinely make a realistic fauxback thread, they wouldnt use modern logos. Thats a given. He is simply making a fun series while challenging himself to use modern logos and names, with historic jerseys.

My thoughts: the sweater is plausible, and would have been used the for both home and away in the 1920s, as long as the two teams competing weren't too similar. I think I read somewhere that when Detroit switched from their Cougars/Falcons white sweaters to their red Red Wings ones, they added a white "pinnie" to play the mainly-red Canadiens- which in my mind is reflected to this day in Detroit's unique white sweater with the red sleeves (also giving them red "wings"). The Jets name is a bit anachronistic- Jet then would have meant a black colour, or a spout of water or gas, but not a working aeroplane. Similarly, the current logo is far too modern for that era. Winnipeg teams historically included the Victorias, Falcons, and Monarchs- Falcons might be the closest fit, if not for Detroit using that nickname from 1930-32.

As your project continues, a similar issue may come up elsewhere- for example, in the 1920s, Edmonton was far more a coal town than an oil town, and its sports teams all seemed to use "Eskimos," including hockey.

^^ someone takes concepts too seriously.

If anyone was to genuinely make a realistic fauxback thread, they wouldnt use modern logos. Thats a given. He is simply making a fun series while challenging himself to use modern logos and names, with historic jerseys.

I agree with both of these so much that I don't know what side to take.

💻linktr.ee/McElroy19 // ✍️ Graphic Design — Vegas Golden Knights. //✏️ Sports Logos and Uniforms
✨✨Let’s work together!! ✨✨

I would reply to this one fully if it wasn't stated in the next reply. Just a concept, not taking it too seriously down to a pin. If I wanted to have this being a realistic idea, I wouldn't have done it just to put it simply, I wouldn't have fun.

Next Team: San Jose Sharks.

I kept a base similar to the striping they wear today, but as you can tell I made more stripes! Because....stripes!

CLOSE YOUR EYES! For some reason the colors seem brighter on this one than the end version I made. On my screen when I open the file the colors are darker and less out there. On facebook when I uploaded it, it stayed that way too. But on Photobucket and TinyPic it changed. I'll try to get the right one posted, but until then, you can get the idea here.

DylanW-SJ1920s.jpg

Yea, I'm still not sure why I couldn't save the last one with .PNG, so I figure that's why the colors are different. I figured out how to save .PNG with the rest so the should be the real colors now.

Next Team: Minnesota Wild - this is the latest requested team, so when I'm in the mood to make the next team and there are no request I'll just be doing them randomly.

2vmhtv8.jpg

Archived