6 Original Teams NFL

thisguyphelps

Yeah, the Braves were yet another of those football teams named after the local baseball club.

The city of Pottsville (PA - the place where Yuengling is from) is still trying to get their championship recognized.

I'm sympathetic, but they violated league rules by playing that game in Philly. Had they not gone ahead after being warned not to, they'd still have the world championship banner.

As cool as it would be to list them among the champions, rules are rules.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking of the Boston Tea Party when I just saw the R*dsk*ns name went back to Boston. Upon further review, I saw the Braves name and then it made double extra sense.

They used to play at Braves Field, therefore the name. When they left that park to play in Fenway, the team needed a new name. Unfortunate choice, though.

i know this is more for the redskin name change thread but they could just go back to using Braves since it's the founding name of the team.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I guess I never thought about this, but the Bengals are only older than 6 franchises.

Also, I love all the old-timey nicknames. The Columbus Panhandles, Dayton Triangles, Louisville Breckenridges

PvO6ZWJ.png

One thing I am seeing on that big ol' bar graphic is that a lot of teams came in on their own; i.e., they did not have "expansion partners". The NFL's Vikings, Falcons, and Saints along with the AFL's Dolphins and Bengals. This must mean that both leagues, in the 1960s, had some seasons with an odd number of teams (like the pre-Texans years after Browns II). Or am I missing something?

I am guessing the 1960 Cowboys made the NFL odd for one year; evened out by the 1961 Vikings (similarly the 66 Falcons and 67 Saints). In the AFL it appears that the 66 Dolphins left an odd number for two years until the 68 Bengals.

I don't know franchise history of football like I do baseball, and I guess I always assumed that teams were added in twos. So they must have byes every week.

EDIT: According to this (http://www.mmbolding.com/Expansion/Expansion.htm) all give teams I mention above (Vikings, Falcons, Saints, Dolphins, Bengals) went 3-11 in their first seasons.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived