If Football was in the Olympics(series conclusion)

JTswag187

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on now... Australia at an 8 seed? They could have all of the rugby (union AND league) players that didn't make their teams. That would at least put them as a 3 seed. Even without them, I think they deserve be than an 8 seed, give em at least a 5 haha

Come on now... Australia at an 8 seed? They could have all of the rugby (union AND league) players that didn't make their teams. That would at least put them as a 3 seed. Even without them, I think they deserve be than an 8 seed, give em at least a 5 haha

Actually 8th seed for Australia is the one of the few that is about right. Speaking from experience, rugby players don't make great football players they run and tackle too high and don't hold the ball properly/secure it in trafic

Actually 8th seed for Australia is the one of the few that is about right. Speaking from experience, rugby players don't make great football players they run and tackle too high and don't hold the ball properly/secure it in trafic

I still feel like playing at a professional level of a sport so similar to American football would give them a little bit of an edge, and isn't high tackling a penalty in rugby?

And just out of curiosity, how popular is American football in Australia? I mean I know it's not a power sport or anything, but are any of the games ever televised (NFL or local)?

Yeah, we get gridiron on pay-tv, the NFL on our Aussie Fox Sports channel and college on Foxtel's ESPN. It's not as big as it is in England, but you will get a few Superbowl parties around the place. You'll find a fair amount of community meet-ups on social networks advertised. The Superbowl is the game which can make it to the sports report on the evening news, but all of the NFL season games will be on the dedicated sports programmes later on in the show during the international round-up, along with the NBA results. NHL and MLB has a smaller coverage in the news shows, but all "big-four" US major sports' leagues are featured on Foxtel's "Fox Sports Australia" channel. There are gridiron competitions in every State of Australia, under NFL rules, and there is a national championship where the State representative teams play each other. I used to go to the W.A. State final "the Perth Bowl" a few years ago, it was the game where the whole gridiron community would come together. At least that's how it used to be, I don't know what the set-up is here nowadays.

The mainstream here hasn't really heard of the local competitions or college ball or the CFL. They don't really know that there are other "Bowls" in college ball besides just the pro Superbowl. I also think the only team most mainstreamers would know off hand is the Dallas Cowboys. I think if you asked them what the San Francisco 49ers or the Denver Broncos played, they would guess NFL though. I would say the most famous American brands here would be the Chicago Bulls and the New York Yankees followed possibly by the Dallas Cowboys, LA Lakers and LA Galaxy, because of Beckham.

Yes tackling high is illegal in both rugby and rugby league; the pointed shoulder charge has also been removed from both games.

bef9f409-173d-42e4-83c3-0dfb0596cf6e_zps56f6504c-a533-4b0a-a54f-0a17bc034a3c_zps

You are awesome. I've always wanted to know how Australians feel about American sports from the perspective of an actual Australian, I've always liked their culture and I want to go there when I get a chance.

Yeah, we get gridiron on pay-tv, the NFL on our Aussie Fox Sports channel and college on Foxtel's ESPN. It's not as big as it is in England, but you will get a few Superbowl parties around the place. You'll find a fair amount of community meet-ups on social networks advertised. The Superbowl is the game which can make it to the sports report on the evening news, but all of the NFL season games will be on the dedicated sports programmes later on in the show during the international round-up, along with the NBA results. NHL and MLB has a smaller coverage in the news shows, but all "big-four" US major sports' leagues are featured on Foxtel's "Fox Sports Australia" channel. There are gridiron competitions in every State of Australia, under NFL rules, and there is a national championship where the State representative teams play each other. I used to go to the W.A. State final "the Perth Bowl" a few years ago, it was the game where the whole gridiron community would come together. At least that's how it used to be, I don't know what the set-up is here nowadays.

The mainstream here hasn't really heard of the local competitions or college ball or the CFL. They don't really know that there are other "Bowls" in college ball besides just the pro Superbowl. I also think the only team most mainstreamers would know off hand is the Dallas Cowboys. I think if you asked them what the San Francisco 49ers or the Denver Broncos played, they would guess NFL though. I would say the most famous American brands here would be the Chicago Bulls and the New York Yankees followed possibly by the Dallas Cowboys, LA Lakers and LA Galaxy, because of Beckham.

Yes tackling high is illegal in both rugby and rugby league; the pointed shoulder charge has also been removed from both games.

You are awesome. I've always wanted to know how Australia feels about American sports from the perspective of an actual Australian, I've always liked their culture and would like to go there when I get a chance. Hopefully American football will grow there and Australian football will grow here.

He is pretty much spot on, but over the last couple of years they have started showing games on free to air TV, 4 or 5 live games a week. As far as I know all of the leagues are run under NCAA rules (well at least says league and the national championships are)

When I said they tackle high I didn't mean shoulder height I meant above waist hight

Thanks for all the feedback, it's very helpful. updates, Sweden and Denmark are coming soon. For now here's the bracket

13413523744_2ee43fd51d_b.jpg

white numbers for seeding obviously wasn't the best of ideas, if you need a better look click on the image

I never got this... why isn't the winners of the plug-in games seeded last?

because Denmark and Sweden have decent football teams.

updates and Denmark are coming this weekend

Here are the updates for Italy and Spain. With Spain I decided to keep the light blue because the vote was close and I like it. I'm also not sure which helmet you like better(red or blue), but I'll have a poll up for that. Expect Sweden sometime this week. I'm also still taking more feedback on Denmark.

Italy:

13549435973_43a19759a9_z.jpg

Spain:

13549342115_38a9071dd1_z.jpg

Italy looks so much better. With Spain, maybe just put the light blue uniform as only an alternate

Isn't that what it already is? I'm pretty sure the Red is the home.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Archived