Behind Home Plate Seating at MLB Parks

chrysleraspen08

A friend of mine and I got talking about the cost of sitting behind home plate at various major league parks and that got me thinking what it costs in every/most parks. I know for sure that in Toronto it costs $210 and I know that it costs somewhere around $1,000 at Yankee Stadium and that's about it. I'm also curious as to what comes with that in other parks too. I know in Toronto you get served at your seat with various food and drinks that you choose, but the experience varies depending on the park and I know that some stadiums have clubs with large buffets that come with it. What is it like at other parks and at what cost?

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

The Phillies "diamond club" seats are sold only on a full-season basis, and there's a waiting list, so the only way to get them is second hand.

While it is hard to find what the "face value" of those tickets really is (since I've never had one, and the team doesn't advertise them), from what I've been reading, it's between 145 and 250 - but again, sold only on a full-season basis, and now subject to their "variable pricing model".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Similar situation at Target Field. I was there on a target field tour. It's call the "(sponsor) Champions Club". Very nice cushy seats with a restaurant that can only be accessed by the ticket-holders. I think they get to park right there as well. Season tickets only. Seats spend a lot of time empty.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Seats spend a lot of time empty.

If your willing to drop a grand just for one ticket to go a random regular season MLB game, you either have no concept of money, or are just out things to spend money on, or both.

For the amount of money it costs to sit behind home plate at an MLB game at places like Fenway and Yankee Stadium, you could go on a mini two day vacation.

I'll admit its nice. I've sat in a luxury suite at Fenway and have sat right behind home plate at a few minor league games. You definitely get a better sense of the action. But in neither situation could I could see myself saying, wow I'm so happy I spent the extra $400 (at least) for the slighter better seat then I would have had under my usual spending habits. The luxury suite I got for free and the I got to field level of the minor league game(s) just by virtue of just staying past the seventh inning.

As far as the seats being empty goes I look at is as the sports equivalent of a high end fashion designer buying back their unsold merchandise to simply to burn it, rather then see it go on sale. I don't want to go on a rich peope bashing frenzy, but pretty hard to explain clubs would be willing to have empty seats that thousands of the people already at the game would prefer to sit, rather then sell them at a discount without also calling into question what the ideas of vanity, gluttony and arrogance truly mean, so I'll just leave it at that. I'll let other people get into the deep philosophical arguments if they choose to. That's my post for the month.

I think all the seats are sold out. People probably even go to the game, but between arriving late and leaving early, they also hang out in the climate controlled restaurant and eat decent-quality food. During a typical game, every seat probably gets used, but probably for an average of a few innings each.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I sat in the Diamond Seats for a Reds game last year with a friend who is an attorney at Great American Insurance so they were company seats. I actually felt weird for wearing a jersey and felt like I had to keep a lid on how loudly I was cheering. It was cool to sit there once and the food in the VIP restaurant was amazing, but I wouldn't pay full price to do it again.

If I'm going to drop a lot of money on good baseball seats I'm getting field level close to first or third base.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I wish more teams would realize how stupid it looks when their super premium low level seats are heavily empty, either because people aren't showing up (or buying them) at all, or because the people that are there would rather be in the behind-the-scenes part with the food/booze/whatever.

1zgyd8w.jpg

If memory serves, first row behind the plate seats as Progressive Park are around $150 per game. A friend of mine has had those seats since the park opened in 1994. He splits the cost of season tickets with another guy. They used to use all the tickets themselves but as the prices have gone up they have scaled back the number of game they attend. These days, they pick 10-12 games each and sell the rest.

I've gotten quite spoiled over the years. The worst seat I've ever had for an Indians game at Progressive was 15 rows from home plate.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived