The Last All-Canadian MLB Game

CC97

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
July 4 is important in Canada too

...but July 1st, of which this is the designated weekend, is many times more important.

Let's have the Yankees and Red Sox play in Iqaluit, Nunavut on Independence Day wearing Canadian flags! That'd show 'em.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Having worked for a professional hockey team that was MOSTLY CANADIAN, I have to agree that I'm a little bent by the fact that the Furhor deemed it necessary that the last all Candaian game be played in PR. I mean comeon now, would it make sense if say two Mexican teams played a game on Cinco do Mayo say in Milan. Or we played football on Boxing Day in Seoul? And as far as the American flag being on their hats, wow what a thought. Put the stars and stripes on the hats of two Canadian teams playing a game on an island that belongs to the US. WOW NOW THATS FORETHOUGHT.

Seriously, it think that it sucks. I would have loved to see these two teams play the weekend series in both TO and Montreal. Skydome probably would have been about half filled and Olympic would have had about 100 people there. Anyhoo, GO JAYS! Ok, I'm done now.

dodgers-1.png

Let's also remind ourselves that JQK is the only member on this board that seems to have this attitude, so quite a large majority of Americans don't act like that.

I love you too, Chris. :)

Yea, i get silly with my comments, sorry bout that. However, the rest of what i said i stick by. When the hell did MLB ever consider Canada an actual part of the league? Even after the Jays won two series, the message i always got was that Canada isn't really part of MLB, they just stuck a team or two up there to look good on a resume. "See! We're an international league!" Other than that, they could care less. And my feelings on Canada and America aside, any league that gives up on franchises, or doesn't care about all of their franchises, no matter their location or history, is doomed to failure. ANd MLB is inching closer to that fate...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

For reference, the one and only time these two teams played in Canada on Canada Day the attendence was over 50,000.

oh but see chris that isn't enough to put the series in toronto...i mean god it's not like for once every seat would be filled...especially on a holiday weekend or anything right...it's all the executives fault...it's independence day or whatever right...so they dont' want our canada day ruining it for them and their profits god forbid..i'm sure there were pangs of denial in 92/93 when TORONTO won the world series...goodness...i'm sure psychologists got some interesting requests for that one too

For reference, the one and only time these two teams played in Canada on Canada Day the attendence was over 50,000.

oh but see chris that isn't enough to put the series in toronto...i mean god it's not like for once every seat would be filled...especially on a holiday weekend or anything right...it's all the executives fault...it's independence day or whatever right...so they dont' want our canada day ruining it for them and their profits god forbid..i'm sure there were pangs of denial in 92/93 when TORONTO won the world series...goodness...i'm sure psychologists got some interesting requests for that one too

It's an even more puzzling decision considering the total attendence for this 3 game series was just over 24,000... or around 8,000 per game.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

I do, in general, have a little confusion when it comes to how 'canadian' the jay and expos really are. I really want to discuss this, not make it seem like I am being anti-canadian by saying it, but..

What makes them canadian exactly? The players, by and large are american. The sport is considered mostly american, the league is mostly american-based. Nearly all of their away games are in america. So, the location of the home games (or in this case 1 and 1/2 of the home games for the two teams) determines that the team is, itself, canadian, should not wear american flags on the 4th of July, and should embrace Canadianism (?) as a whole lifestyle?

Hmm... I'm thinking that maybe the players, who grew up in places like Mobile Alabama, Denver COlorado, Staten Island New York, Covina California, and Rapid City South Dakota, would argue that they are americans playign an american game, mostly on american soil, and thereby would want to celebrate America on its Independance day.

It's just my honest, inquisitive opinion.

But, I totaly agree that the last all Canadian game should have been... oh, i dunno.. in Canada!

Bizzare.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

However the same argument could be made for the NHL (except the majority of games thing).

I think the fact that the team is based in Canada is what makes it Canadian, they wouldn't chant "Canada Sucks" during Jays games at Yankee Stadium if it were any other way :)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

im starting to wonder who is more incompetant, Gary Bettman or Bud Selig.

if you have the Jays vs. the Expos, then it should have been played in canada wearing canadian flags for Canada day.

thats really what should have been done.

this goes in to the extremely crowded What was bud thinking? catagory.

Magus.png

General Magus Zeal

Leader of the Mystics of Medina.

The forums most hated member ever.

We realise you hate Canada, and Canadians, congratulations for you, you're a big man.... BIG MAN!

PIG MAN!! HAHA, CHARADE YOU ARE!

Sorry, it's just classic rock quotes weekend, here on CHFN.... :P

JQK, you went REALLY overboard(I still don't understand how you can hate a pacifistic, helpful, friendly nation that really likes you guys, faults and all), but you made a good point. Baseball was my favourite sport for years (up until i was about 14). I had Expos jerseys, baseball cards, bats, I played every day of the summer...then I (personally)started sucking, MLB started hatin' on my team, it got less "special" (ie, 6 divisions, interleague play, became kinda like every other sport).

Ya know, once the Expos die, I hope they start a REAL attempt at a Canadian Baseball league. Put teams in the CFL cities, get similar intrest going.

I gotta agree that playing in Canada would have been a good idea, if Toronto was the home team. Since Montreal has pretty much decided that MLB is taking the Expos away, they would have had probably less than what they had in San Juan. The support for the Expos is dwindling away and the hardcore fans aren't getting a fair shake. As far as wearing flags on 4th of July, I think they should have had teh 2 teams wear a US/Canada patch, like the Raptors did in 2001-2002.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The train of thought that led to this decision must have been insane! UI mean if you want a game in San Juan, which is fair enough, why not pick a game thats not gonna get a great crowd in the right stadium. Not not a game anywhere this weekend, which after all is close to a holiday in the US and canada. A game say in August between two team unlikely to be involved in a pennant race. Defiinitely not a game between two rivals, which is gonna draw a fairly good crowd, whatever the two clubs are doing in there divisions.

This isn't a US v Canada thing, its a people who love baseball vs people who want to use baseball for there own purposes but have no great affection for the fans and traditions of the game. :cursing::mad:

Now who to eliminate first, Selig or Bettman? :evil:

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

This entire string brings up a great question that needs to be delved into, which is, why the hell can't MLB figure out Canada? This is a hell of a sports loving country, and there are minor league Canadian teams that outdraw the 'Spos and Jays.

Yeah, I know, it's cold, I get that. It's the 21st century, and there are some beautiful new domed stadiums being built. No more Astrodomes or Olympic Stadiums. So we know that a home park can be built that on its own can draw fans.

Is it just too much of a hockey country, is there room for baseball?

Should MLB be looking to the West? Calgary, Edmonton, Manitoba, Vancouver?

CGP.gif

This entire string brings up a great question that needs to be delved into, which is, why the hell can't MLB figure out Canada?  This is a hell of a sports loving country,  and there are minor league Canadian teams that outdraw the 'Spos and Jays.

Yeah, I know, it's cold,  I get that.  It's the 21st century, and there are some beautiful new domed stadiums being built.  No more Astrodomes or Olympic Stadiums.  So we know that a home park can be built that on its own can draw fans. 

Is it just too much of a hockey country, is there room for baseball? 

Should MLB be looking to the West?  Calgary,  Edmonton,  Manitoba, Vancouver?

MLB shouldn't look West, they should look to strengthen their current position.

Winnipeg could be a great Triple-A town (although moving the Goldeyes out of the independent Northern League would be a big hit to the league), but MLB, with it's lack of a salary cap, would not work in Winnipeg. I'd be willing to say that this applies to Calgary and Edmonton as well. Baseball is popular in Canada at the grassroots level... Canadian corporate sponsorship is largely eaten up by hockey (and any leftovers are gobbled up at an increasing rate by the CFL). Affordable ticket prices and relaxing entertainment in the summer are why baseball succeeds at a sub-major league level.

Toronto drew decent crowds when they were winning, or even had a legit shot at a playoff spot. Playing in a division with two of the baseball's biggest spenders has pretty much killed those ideas. Then they disowned their longtime fans with their identity switch, and now the baseball gods will punish them with mediocrity and 3 more Cy Young winners who won't get them into the playoffs.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Hard for me to comment, not being a huge baseball fan, other then it's pretty obvious MLB has screwed up baseball in Canada. Not that it was an easy enterprise... But both Montreal and Toronto are such Hockey towns, you'll never be anything else then second best...

Rogers Commuications as an owner has done a very good job promoting the Jays, and if their efforts are not rewarded, so be it, it's not meant to be...

Some of my best baseball memories come from the Expos, not the Jays (been 10 years since I moved from Mtl to T.O.).

Sure the Canadian Content is minmal, but what's the American content now? (How many Martinez and Rodriguez in MLB?)

Montreal and the Expos have done amazing things for baseball as a city and an organization. Should I bring up Jackie Robinson?

I've said it before, the Expos deserve better fans then this...

I would love to see an exhibition game (after they Expos leave) of all the Expos' developped players against the World Champions.

(P.S.: Patriotism is not wrong, and I'll respect every flag... It doesn't mean spitting on your neighbours. Although I question some of the actions and directions America as a country (or should I say Republican administration), I will never look down on its people, whose patriotism I envy...)

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Archived