32 Team World Cup of Hockey

kiwi_canadian

I read an article from The Hockey News about what it would be like if there was a 32 team World Cup of Hockey. It is ridiculous with the teams that would be involved and the complete lack of competition in the pool round. Non the less, it gave me the idea for doing the concepts for them. Here is the link to the article:http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/heres-what-a-32-team-hockey-world-cup-would-look-like/ )

Here is pool A:

Sweden; Took their Olympic design and made small modifications with adding of the arms stripes. No major changes really.

DNUGsG1.png

Poland; Drew inspiration from an older Polish team design and added the eagle to the shoulder.

iYp4QKN.png

Japan; Again, just a slight change in from their Olympic jersey. Added a crest instead of the country name across the front. Slight change to the black socks as well.

BksI8gD.png

Australia; Taking a page out of their hockey history, I went back to the 1960 Olympic Games jersey for the Aussies. I also dropped the black pant shells and white helmets.

pAqdyph.png

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Way too much black for Japan. Make the dark jersey red. And also, I'm not liking "Austrailia" written on the bottom hem of their jerseys. I'd scrap that, and make the yellow a little more vibrant, it seems a little murky.

spacer.png

As much as I like the chest stripe for Australia, and since you want to keep the Australia text, I'd arch it over the kangaroo and add hem striping.

Everything else seems fine.

Oh and I love seeing my glove template in use!

Jake88%2BSignture.png

Thanks for the comments... I've made the slight edit by removing the "AUSTRALIA" from the front of the jersey and it does reduce the clutter. So thank you for that... As for changing the colour of Japan, as Tony Spike pointed out Japan's hockey team has been using red, black and white as their primary colours for quite some time now. I personally like the black as the primary colour on the dark jersey and its not like there are a lot of teams with black as their primary dark jersey in the IIHF family. I know NZ, Belgium, Germany and South Africa use black but of all the countries in the 32 team thing here, only 3 will for sure have black.

As for using proper Japanese script for the names, under IIHF rules, all names must be in English (which I believe is also in FIFA) for IIHF sanctioned tournaments. This is also true with countries such as Russia, Ukraine, Latvia, ETC which all use English script for names on their jerseys.

Pool B will be up next and that will be over the next few days.

Now to Pool B. It would be pretty simple to see who would top the pool but the second sport would be up for grabs between a couple of teams.

First up is Canada: Nothing much different from their current set. Kept the maple leaf on the shoulders like the Olympic jerseys and kept the solid stripe on the bottom like the new century jerseys.

2KUNnCB.png

Germany is next: Nothing really that different. Slight changes by adding a waist and arm stripes and bringing back the sublimated eagle on the shoulders like the Olympic jerseys.

M8ejCaE.png

Now for Latvia. I kept the animals on the shoulders but I went back to the IIHF Century jersey design for the Latvians. The arm strips are the same as the Olympic jerseys as well.

qPL9HQs.png

And to round out the group, Lithuania. This year they changed their jerseys to resemble Canada's and I don't like it at all. It dropped one of the most unique colour combinations in the IIHF. The arm pattern goes back to the 2001-2006 waist pattern. The crest stays the same and I went with what Norway did in the recent world champs for the sublimated design on the front.

mJaAU71.png

Nothing? No other comments? Ok well onto Pool C.

Finland:Combined both the world champ jersey and Olympic jersey into one. Brought back the flag on either arm as well as the lion on the shoulders. EDIT: So dropped the flag on the arms and went back to the double stripe.

Q5puRzq.png

France: I liked the idea of the white jersey from the World Champs this year but was not font of the word mark. I also felt the blue jersey was a bit dull. So I kept the stripes and dropped " FRANCE" from the front and replaced it with the traditional rooster.

UhJBt0A.png

Hungary: For Hungary, I dropped the black from the uniform. I felt it was way out of place. It is more of a traditional style jersey with the arm strips the same as the Hungarian flag. The bird on the front is the Turul (The Turul is the most important bird in the origin myth of the Magyars (Hungarian people).

8OOoPoA.png

Netherlands: What would the Netherlands be without an orange jersey? Again a more traditional looking jersey with the dutch lions on the shoulders. Nothing much to say on these ones.

JYZjLRh.png

Pool D will be in the coming days with the likes of South Korea, Slovenia, China and Denmark.

Can orange be the light make a blue dark white third

I've tried that once before and it just didn't work well at all. Way too much blue on the secondary jersey.

I'm not a fan of France's washer board look. I also think that the logo is WAY too small.

I know it's a bit different and I purposely wanted the logo small on the chest to fit within the larger stripe on the chest.

it seems like every team has something sublimated in the jersey. especially for some, the logo on the shoulder could be full color and look just as good.

Because Nike has been putting sublimated designs on the neck/shoulder. Its barely noticable. Also Shoulder Patches don't fit to well on this template, i had to stretch out the yoke a bit when I did mine to get both the numbers and the patch on there.

Is that even sublimated? Legitimately asking, because it looks more like the silicone grip you'd find on WR gloves.

oly_g_martmill_576.jpg

Photo: ESPN

Either way, the jerseys are looking good so far. The hoops on the France jerseys are a little much, though. And I agree with the assessment about the NED jerseys; I would like to see the orange as the light and blue as the dark.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

Yea its a silicone like material. Eitherway, only visible at angles of light. I never liked the idea anyway but I understood why Kiwi was doing it.

Archived