Boston Celtics / Red Sox clover "B" logo & Boston Pro Teams Mashup Logo

ForwardProgress

As I mentioned in my KC Chiefs logo concept post, I am obsessed with logos designed in the 70's. So after I did the Chiefs, I decided to do another team: the Celtics. I looked at the shape of a clover / shamrock and noticed that the right side could be tweaked into a "B" for Boston. Perfect!

7eaf9ca78e87e581207d538cf552bab2.jpg

After I made the all-green version, I decided to make a version for the Red Sox by simply changing the color of the B from green to red with a navy blue outline:

2e505cf14fc838fe70a8eb8dff302804.jpg

Then I realized that this logo now represented both the Celtics AND Red Sox, and realized I had a potential all-Boston mashup logo on my hands and wondered how I could incorporate the Bruins and Patriots. So I took the circle design from the background of the Bruins logo and put that behind my clover B logo, and then put Pat Patriot's tricorn hat on top. BOOM!

94c2d8f72f2fb430949ef863373b8095.jpg

I think this would make a great tattoo. If anyone wants to get it done feel free, just take a pic after it's done and post it in this thread so I can see it. :)

I'd love to hear what you guys think of these!

It's a "clover" idea (couldn't resist :D) but there are some things that could be fixed. First off the way the top of the B doesn't match up with the top of the clover looks a little sloppy. Also the way you have the B cut strait out of the clover looks too unnatural. I would try rounding it a little bit and make it look a little more natural if you know what I mean. That may help with the readability of the B. Keep working on it. Love the idea.

The mash-up logo looks really nice too.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

It's a "clover" idea (couldn't resist :D) but there are some things that could be fixed. First off the way the top of the B doesn't match up with the top of the clover looks a little sloppy. Also the way you have the B cut strait out of the clover looks too unnatural. I would try rounding it a little bit and make it look a little more natural if you know what I mean. That may help with the readability of the B. Keep working on it. Love the idea.

The mash-up logo looks really nice too.

The top of the B doesn't line up with the top of the clover because the top of the clover is curved and the vertical line in the B is acting as the center dividing line between the clover and the B. There is a gap there on purpose, it's not a "sloppy" mistake. I don't think the gap and the way the top of the B and the top of the clover aren't on the same level is a problem because there is a phenomenon in human perception called "closure" and this is when the mind makes a line in empty space between two or more objects. Since I knew about closure when I designed this logo I knew the viewers' minds would automatically close that gap. If I put the B higher to make it line up with the top of the clover the entire logo wouldn't have a continuous clover shape / outline.

I like there version better because I can actually see the "B" yours is much more difficult to make that shape out as a "B"

I think the Boston Irish Clothing company logo looks really forced, awkward and amateurish. For one thing, clovers don't have right angles.

My "B" is stylized and their "B" is straight from a basic font and looks like it was just slapped over a clover in Microsoft Word. The whole shape of the clover has been destroyed and it just looks like an angled B with a green blob next to it.

Good suggestions there. It's a great idea, but it does look off-balanced and could use a little more finessing. I'd second recommendation to adjust the top of the clover / "B". Yes, the extreme left of the "B" is meant to be the exact center of the top segment of the clover (which it isn't, for what that's worth), but it's okay to cheat that if the end result is more balanced and pleasing. But, that's only my opinion. Do with it what you will, but if you ask what people think, you're going to get some positive and some negative responses. In this case, it's been mostly positive.

I like there version better because I can actually see the "B" yours is much more difficult to make that shape out as a "B"

I think the Boston Irish Clothing company logo looks really forced, awkward and amateurish. For one thing, clovers don't have right angles.

My "B" is stylized and their "B" is straight from a basic font and looks like it was just slapped over a clover in Microsoft Word. The whole shape of the clover has been destroyed and it just looks like an angled B with a green blob next to it.

To be honest yours is pretty forced as well. Just in the opposite way. As in you lose the readability of the B when trying to force it into the clover shape. The way the lines between the B and clover are strait, but the rest is curved just really throws me off. Yes your B is stylized and not generic like the other logo, which is true, but you also lose the readability of the B You say clovers don't have right angles, but you pretty much have one right in the middle of the logo. That's all I'm saying. Take and use our C&C or not, really doesn't matter to me. One thing a designer has to be is open minded. You may think one thing while your client thinks another, and no matter how attached you are to your ideas and thoughts ultimately at the end of the day it's all about pleasing your customer. Now it doesn't work in this case as I'm assuming this was something for fun that you did on the side, but hey, just trying to help you out :) As I would assume everyone else here would do for me.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

I agree that OP's B looks forced. If you make the bottom loop of the B smooth as opposed to having that little heat shape I think it will look much better. Sure it won't be symmetrical, but the bottom of the B looks awkward.

UUkgTjb.png

Just about everything you said about theirs could be said about yours. Yours is extremely forced and quite honestly does not look very appealing or even creative. You'd have to struggle to tell it was supposed to be a B if not told beforehand. Their's may not "flow" into the clover as much as yours does (though the gap actually creates a disconnect), but it wasn't meant to be hidden. It was just meant to create a clover and a B. Yours honestly looks like you spent 5 minutes on it and the first sign you thought there was a B, you posted it. And that's the problem with some of you and the rash outburst of sloppy concepts lately. You spend no real time on your work and just assume people will love them and then get defensive when we criticize them. You know how long most of us spend on our ideas and how many drafts we go through before we post them?

I like the OP green and white version on the shirt. However, I'd like it more without what I feel is an unnecessary and awkward separation of the B.

I'd rather not have to be smacked in the face to be shown it's a B.

Archived