/ Rebranding the NHL / LA Kings logo

chickenfish13

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not crazy about the Canucks set. I get the inspiration for everything, but it seems like you adjusting the blue and green to a less appealing level.

+1

The Canucks current colour scheme is the best part of the identity hands down. That be said, I am a big fan of the logo.

Not crazy about the Canucks set. I get the inspiration for everything, but it seems like you adjusting the blue and green to a less appealing level. And the logo is OK, but I like the original johnny head inside a V logo better.

Not crazy about the Canucks set. I get the inspiration for everything, but it seems like you adjusting the blue and green to a less appealing level.

+1

The Canucks current colour scheme is the best part of the identity hands down. That be said, I am a big fan of the logo.

Good to hear from Canucks fans, fans of the team always bring a different perspective, and I definitely understand having attachments to your current identity. I fiddled with colours a lot more for this concept than I have with any of the previous 3. Looked at the Black/Yellow/Red, the Blue/Burgundy/Silver, tried out the Maroon/White they've used in heritage situations recently, and was considering adding light blue in. The version posted was very close to having a light blue outline. I settled on Blue and Green because it fits the Vancouver area really well, but I tweaked the blue to give the green a little more, I hate to use this word, but pop. The green itself is the same colour.

Cheers to everyone else as well for commenting.

The Coyotes logo is super-nice.

You've rendered it with a great "Arizon-y" feel to it.

The Sens logo is close.

The white neck area throws me off, and, unfortunately, because it's white, it jumps out at ya.

I'd consider removing that part altogether, and maybe throw in a brighter gold highlight on the helmet.

All logos are clean and well done.

Looking forward to the rest.

Somehow I missed this thread until now. I remember your stuff from a few years back and it's great to see you're still at it.

Your Johnny Canuck logo looks good from the frontal view. I really like your Senators logo, too. I really dislike their current primary logo because the angle seems awkward, so I like what you did here by going back to the profile view. Nice and clean.

• 1 year later...

Been a year and some change, but never too late to get back into it right? 

My life has gotten much busier over this time off, and I haven't had too much spare time to dedicate to concept work. However, I've had some rough ideas just sitting in some illustrator files for awhile, for 4 or 5 teams. This Predators concept started sometime shortly after the Canucks was done. It's been in the wings for awhile, but I never had anything solid that I felt was good enough to post until just recently. I've revisited it again and again, and think I've gotten it to a point where I'm happy with it. So here it is:

AEA3rrG.png

For something that has been in the works for so long, I don't have a whole lot to say about this one. Most notable change is obviously the color palette. I'm a huge fan of the Predators yellow that they currently use, and they've truly made the colour their own. I worked with a number of different palette options, and thought this one was an interesting look. I don't have much of a justification for it, I just think the colours work quite well together. Beyond the primary I haven't changed much. The secondary is just the guitar pick logo updated with the new colours. It's probably one of my favourite graphic marks in the league, and I didn't feel it needed any changing. The wordmark remains the same as well. 

Jerseys aren't finished yet, I've been messing around with a few different templates, and haven't settled on anything finite yet. But I've had the logo so long that I wanted to get it out there and get some comments on it. I hope to have the jerseys up by the end of the weekend, but nothing certain. 

Like I mentioned I've been staring at some iteration of this for over a year, and so I can't really look at it objectively anymore. There may be a glaring problem that I just don't see, and if so please point it out/any other graphic problems it may have. I'm excited to hear what people think. Cheers!

I really like the color scheme and where the logo is heading. 

Although the eye and top of the head doesn't really flow with the angle of the rest of the face. They seem to facing forward (2-dimensional) while the rest of the face is at an angle (3-dimensional)

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

3 hours ago, chickenfish13 said:

Yeah I think you may be right on that, the perspective could be a little skewed. Looked at it so long I can't really tell anymore.

I would think simply shortening the snout or enlarging the forehead forward could help somewhat

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

Over a year later and I'm still commenting. Good thread.

I agree with TroyConcepts that the perspective is pretty off. 

The cheek, neck, and eyes appear to be profile view.

The teeth and lower jaw appear 3/4 view. 

And the nose/snout almost appears frontal. I don't think we even need to see the far part of the snout, or at least trim it to thin vertical sliver if that makes sense.  

Stylistically it looks good as your stuff always is, but it's just the anatomy (mainly the brown part of the nose) that is off.

• 2 months later...

Hi all, it's been awhile, but I've been working on a slightly different version of the previous Predators logo. I've scrapped the perspective of the previous one, and gone with a strictly profile view, keeping true to their past logos. I've also switched up the colours a bit to keep in line with their actual brand, but I'd like to hear which colour way you guys prefer. Let me know what you think, whether or not this one is an improvement, etc. Thanks for checking back in!

predsround2.png

5 hours ago, Tanny81 said:

If gotta I have to choose a Predators logo I'd go with your first version. The second one kinda gives off a bit of a muskrat vibe.

Damn you know that's something I was worried about. I went through about a dozen variations of ways to depict the snout area, which I think is the biggest contributor to the muskrat look. I'll have to go back and change up the snout I think.

Archived