Movin' to the Sunshine: The 2015 NBA Offseason Thread

OnWis97

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...signed to be their energy guy..."

I've never recalled seeing that in an NBA story before, so I Googled the phrase.

Turns out it crosses leagues. The NHL signed one yesterday, too:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/21/bolts-sign-energy-guy-mcginn-to-one-year-two-way-deal/

The Hornets story also said "sixth big man." Such specialization of roles in the NBA these days. :)

Sometimes I dream that he is me, I dream Im signing every Tar Heel I see. I dream we lose and shift the blame, I dream I fail I dream I fire a coach at the end of every game, Like Mike if I can manage like Mike

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

It's a shame that his attitude and legal problems tanked his trade value. I was hoping they could get at least something for him other than role players and a protected 1st.

I think Ty will turn it around in Houston, though. His biggest problem here in Denver is that he didn't really want to embrace the leader role, and everyone in Denver was demanding that he be the leader. With Harden and Howard in Houston, it will give him some breathing room and give them a much needed point guard.

jNTsTyQ.png

It's a shame that his attitude and legal problems tanked his trade value. I was hoping they could get at least something for him other than role players and a protected 1st.

I think Ty will turn it around in Houston, though. His biggest problem here in Denver is that he didn't really want to embrace the leader role, and everyone in Denver was demanding that he be the leader. With Harden and Howard in Houston, it will give him some breathing room and give them a much needed point guard.

Houston replaced one immature player (Josh Smith) for another in Lawson, but Lawson comes with a bill from John Lucas and his substance rehab. Lawson can't get to the rim anymore too.

The fact that Lawson volunteered to remove the guarantee of his 2016-17 salary ($13.2 M) shows that dork Elvis still wants future financial flexibility and little risk.

The Players' Awards took place last night on BET and Centric.

The replay is on Thursday night and it was the trainwreck which you would expect. It was fantastic.

Ray Allen, who did not play this season, was honored by the players as "Man of the Year". WTF?

I think Michelle Roberts will have some suggestions to improve (or drop) the concept.

The replay is on Thursday night and it was the trainwreck which you would expect. It was fantastic.

Ray Allen, who did not play this season, was honored by the players as "Man of the Year". WTF?

I think Michelle Roberts will have some suggestions to improve (or drop) the concept.

What it needs to do is do what the Golden Globes do: provide more alcohol.

GR30a5H.png

What it needs to do is do what the Golden Globes do: provide more alcohol.

There were empty wine bottles on the table.

Korver was the only white player I saw there who sat next to Kent Bazemore, who looks younger than Steph Curry with darker facial hair.

Somewhat under the radar for the last month, but the new Atlanta Hawks owners want major renovations to Philips Arena or a new one.

From June (Credit: ajc.com):

Not two hours after being officially introduced as the Atlanta Hawks’ new controlling owner, Tony Ressler was seated in sixth-floor conference room at the ol’ AJC, meeting with our editorial board and some scroungy sports types who heard there was food available. In my scant 31 years at this paper, that marked a first: A team owner coming to meet/greet us. Big kudos for that.

Ressler and Grant Hill, who’s the vice-chair of the Hawks’ executive board, graciously sat still and answered our many queries. Under close questioning by cub reporter Kevin Riley — OK, he’s actually our editor, and I expect a pink slip any minute — Ressler allowed that there were three things the new owners could do about Philips Arena, which opened in 1999: Nothing, remodel or rebuild. And the first, Ressler said, “isn’t an option.”

And they spoke with the mayor today regarding three possible locations.

Josh Smith did not heed the NBAP's advice in which players should take advantage of the CBA and get their salary over 18 months rather than 12.

Smith, who will earn $6.9M this year from the Clippers and the Pistons, said...

At the end of the day, you know, I do have a family. So it is going to be a little harder on me this year. But I'm going to push through it, you know.

• 3 weeks later...

Just when you thought all way quiet on the Tristan "Max Money Baby" Thompson front... agent to the stars, and LeBron James' best friend, Rich Paul, threatened the Cavs today saying Thompson will undoubtedly leave Cleveland if he has to play the 2015-2016 season under a Qualifying Offer, 1-year contract.

Thompson is seeking a 5-year, $90 million+ contract for a guy who averages 10 points and 8 rebounds per night over his 4 year career. A player with limited-to-no offensive game, just played his first full season using his opposite hand to shoot, poor free throw shooter, and average wing defender for a big ban.

Go ahead, Tristan... make your money... somewhere else. You are a dime a dozen.

Archived