Movin' to the Sunshine: The 2015 NBA Offseason Thread

OnWis97

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sonofabitch. I won't give this a second thought until it becomes a criminal investigation, but it's still awful to hear another athlete from my teams accused of rape. The facts that it allegedly happened two years ago, she never went to the cops, and even now she's only brought it up as part of a lawsuit against Rose don't seem to legitimize her claims.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Dikembe Mutombo will have his number 55 retired by the Atlanta Hawks prior to their November 24th game against the Celtics:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13556848/atlanta-hawks-retire-dikembe-mutombo-no-55-nov-24

Nice. Have the Nuggers retired it yet?

Not yet, but i assume they will announce it closer to the start of the season or when he is officially inducted in September.

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

Former LA Times reporter Howard Beck was on the Lowe Post podcast talking about the Shaq/Kobe/Lakers split.

He said they broke up a probable dynasty, but that's dumb. That team won three finals and went to one more. And then Shaq did less to win another title in Miami, but the Lakers won two more. Five titles from 2000 to 2010 seems pretty close to a dynasty to me, whether Shaq was there or not.

Also, Shaq was kind of a jerk, turns out. He wanted super money but he was trending down. I would have bet on Kobe then too.

EDIT: Mostly I just miss that era of the NBA.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Early 2000s NBA was the league's dark night of the soul. It didn't get interesting again until the synergy Pistons knocked off the superteam Lakers, and then stopped being interesting when the superteam Heat won. Now that everyone just sprints around the court chucking threes and the Heat are broken up, it's fun again.

The 2006 Heat was a good villain team, though, the last gasp of the old guard getting one last title in before fully yielding to the next generation.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I was a teenager during the Jordan years, but I didn't really start paying attention until the final series against the Jazz.

So, for better or for worse, the 2000s Lakers was my formative era in the NBA; the post-Jordan, peak-Stern, "looking for a hero" era. It's when you couldn't win without a big man, teams could still win without being best friends, and you didn't root for expiring contracts. Also, I like NBA dynasties.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

That's a good change. The only argument against is tradition, and that's generally an argument for nimrods.

I'd prefer the five divisions/no conferences setup, but I guess this is okay. Divisions don't matter in the NBA because everyone is too cool for regional rivalries. such tribal, much provincial, wow.

I'd prefer the five divisions/no conferences setup, but I guess this is okay. Divisions don't matter in the NBA because everyone is too cool for regional rivalries. such tribal, much provincial, wow.

It's so simple as long as nobody moves to Seattle anytime never:

Atlantic

Boston, Brooklyn, New York, Philadelphia, Toronto, Washington

Central

Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Indiana, Milwaukee, Minnesota

Pacific

Golden State, LA Clippers, LA Lakers, Phoenix, Portland, Sacramento

Southeast

Atlanta, Charlotte, Memphis, Miami, New Orleans, Orlando

Southwest

Dallas, Denver, Houston, Oklahoma City, San Antonio, Utah

It works almost nearly as well with Seattle in the Pacific, Phoenix in the Southwest, and Oklahoma City in the Southeast, for those of us who think the Hornets should have given up the ghost with New Orleans and stayed in Oklahoma City. You can spin the latter as keeping the OKC Hornets with Memphis from the old division and in a division with Charlotte; it's considerably less ridiculous than a division spanning from Portland to Minneapolis to Oklahoma City. But anyway, stop realignment, back to other stuff.

This is on the broadcasting front...you folks in Wisconsin will have the pleasure (or displeasure) to hear Gus Johnson call 20 Bucks games this upcoming season on Fox Sports Wisconsin; former Bucks great Marques Johnson will also work Bucks telecasts this season (55). I know Jim Paschke and Jon McGlocklin are up there in age, and been working together for 30 years (McGlocklin's been the color analyst for nearly 40 years), so I guess Fox Sports and the Bucks really wanted to reduce their traveling.

Archived