MJD7

MLB Redesigns Series

Recommended Posts

MJD7    907
9 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I really like all that you've done with this latest batch of tweaks. The grouping of AL West primary logos looks much better now that it's not almost entirely roundels. The added red to the Angels was a great decision, and I would be perfectly happy if they switched to this color scheme tomorrow. However, I think the "ANGELS" wordmark would pop better if it was periwinkle on the home jersey and white on the road. 

Thanks! I liked diversifying the primaries as well. A lot of early versions of the Angels did have periwinkle and white wordmarks respectively, but it resulted in a lack of gold that I had a hard time compensating for anywhere else. 

3 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed this series from start to finish, especially how colorful you made everything. Your Astros and Angels concepts were both probably the best I've ever seen anyone propose, and there was creativity everywhere. Thanks for the fun and I hope you do another redesign series again soon - any sport!

Thank you so much! I'm really glad you enjoyed it. I definitely enjoyed infusing some color everywhere, and we'll have to see what I try and do in the future!

3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Astros: That's really good! The new shade of purple really helps the look, as do the new fonts! You're welcome, and I'm glad I could be of help on that front.

 

Angels: The new colors work really well with the design. Good work.

 

Athletics: I like that you brought the white elephant back.

 

Beavers: The color scheme is fantastic, and I like that you're maximizing the wordmarks in the identity.

 

Mariners: That was a good decision to switch up the primary logo.

 

Rangers: Your previous update took care of all of the issues, and I'm glad to see you didn't mess with a good thing.

 

It's been really fun following this series.

I appreciate it! A lot of these AL West designs were inspired by your own ideas, to be honest.

 

Anyone else have any opinions on the West before I upload the Central?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MJD7    907

Alright then here is the update of probably my personal favorite looking division of them all, the AL Central!

 

American League Central

Chicago White Sox

Chicago White Sox Logos.png59a8537ea3463_ChicagoWhiteSoxHome.thumb.png.30a4558d996c64c11857d04e05a13cd8.png59a85389c252f_ChicagoWhiteSoxAway.thumb.png.12cd43af2da4804ef548cabb7c7b6e3e.png

Chicago White Sox Alternate.png

-No changes for the Sox, other than maybe a couple touch-ups.

 

Cleveland Spiders

Cleveland Spiders Logos.png

Cleveland Spiders Home.png

Cleveland Spiders Away.png

Cleveland Spiders Alternate 1.png

Cleveland Spiders Alternate 2.png

Cleveland Spiders Away Alternate.png

-I added outlines around the letters and numbers to complete the look. I also gave the red alternate the "C" logo because Cleveland looked too muddled.

 

Detroit Tigers

Detroit Tigers Logos.png

Detroit Tigers Home.png

Detroit Tigers Away.png

Detroit Tigers Home Alternate.png

-I believe no changes for the Tigers, other than the corrected belt loop courtesy of @Carolingian Steamroller.

 

Kansas City Royals

Kansas City Royals Logos.pngKansas City Royals Home.png

Kansas City Royals Away.png

Kansas City Royals Alternate 1.png

Kansas City Royals Alternate 2.png

-Like the Brewers and Diamondbacks I added borders around the stripes for more definity.

 

Minnesota Twins

Minnesota Twins Logos.png

Minnesota Twins Home.png

Minnesota Twins Away.png

Minnesota Twins Alternate 1.png

Minnesota Twins Alternate 2.png

-I appreciate @SFGiants58 for allowing me to update the TC based off of his version inspired by @the admiral. I kept the dual-colored look on mine, as I felt it fit better within my set. I also updated the "M" in the Minnesota wordmark to be more in line with the rest of the letters.

 

Salt Lake Bees

Salt Lake Bees Logos.png

Salt Lake Bees Home.png

Salt Lake Bees Away.pngSalt Lake Bees Alternate 1.png

-I updated the primary to be just the bee and kept it as the patch, and kept the added white throughout.

 

I think the reason I like this division is because every single matchup would result in interesting and dynamic color contrasts. In summary, the Sox stay the same, Cleveland gets outlines, Detroit gets its belt loop, Kansas City has stripe borders, Minnesota updates the TC, and Salt Lake gets a new primary. I'd love to hear what you all think!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
coco1997    1,047

The updates look good, especially the added borders on the Royals sleeves. The simplified primary logo for the Bees is an improvement, too. 

 

Given that you're emulating the mid-80s design, I think the White Sox jerseys should be pullovers. Speaking of the Sox, Quintana and Frazier have since been traded. ;) Maybe use Rodon and Moncada instead?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SFGiants58    1,874

White Sox: It's good that you kept it more or less the same. It's still one of the better 1983-86 updates.

Spiders: Those outlines are a big help! Good work.

Tigers: The belt loop fix is a good one.

Royals: The purple borders really help the stripes stand out.

Twins: Hey, my logo does look good in royal/kelly! I like the new "M" too. Good work.

Salt Lake: The new bee logo works pretty well with the set.

 

All in all, good updates!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MJD7    907

Alright sweet, then here is the division that wraps it up, the AL East! I'm also going to update the two White Sox players, it seems like I can't keep up haha.

 

American League East

Baltimore Orioles

59a727952d800_BaltimoreOriolesLogos.thumb.png.704963884fa0561f4ce3099c52b929e8.png59a7279c9d0f6_BaltimoreOriolesHome.thumb.png.02170b28d74ce4e0aaa612fbbbc13017.png59a727a637bc4_BaltimoreOriolesAway.thumb.png.c855400944f094eca698bb42c18261df.png59a727b0438c8_BaltimoreOriolesAlternate1.thumb.png.2c621faa727ad97bb258968757a65ced.png59a727ba1e144_BaltimoreOriolesAlternate2.thumb.png.e9e537eb83b77de7584c9320e9b2032b.png

-No changes besides keeping "Orioles" on the brown alt.

 

Boston Red Sox

59a727fb167c5_BostonRedSoxLogos.thumb.png.f939266b58c142bdfa47ffa261026707.png59a72803d0c26_BostonRedSoxHome.thumb.png.1cca71a16e0389ffdbb4aa5ef82e1c5e.png59a7280d97ef7_BostonRedSoxAway.thumb.png.42ffdd15cd04894a0b068324b6ed3d50.png59a72816f3ec1_BostonRedSoxAlternate1.thumb.png.799179446429ac98328b15df926be79a.png

-No changes for the Sox.

 

Nashville Sounds

59a72b48e69db_NashvilleSoundsLogos.thumb.png.276a44f22a3a54b8cd55250f8ae90783.png59a72892dd3c1_NashvilleSoundsHome.thumb.png.0fea06157c07da74e638d0efde65532d.png59a7289d72737_NashvilleSoundsAway.thumb.png.386efff355b4673d07ae3e0bd6dd23fa.png59a728a87ba45_NashvilleSoundsHomeAlternate.thumb.png.940e0473194685fe18deea31d13110ff.png59a728b34ca6f_NashvilleSoundsAwayAlternate1.thumb.png.7e43aae7fab3c34166a984d54dea339b.png59a72b537ad95_NashvilleSoundsAwayAlternate2.thumb.png.c21dc80ac1d934d571b0a3d6d5cf1cab.png

-I kept the Buccaneers-style scheme because I thought it fit well.

 

New York Yankees

59a72bb1e0a74_NewYorkYankeesLogos.thumb.png.7960f21de78dd8e147a6da101cdc57ae.png59a72b8a7faee_NewYorkYankeesHome.thumb.png.64debaabd39a73a6daedb8ae0c1fa383.png59a72b932ae7a_NewYorkYankeesAway.thumb.png.a3778e9ddfec2e36e991ec5936a9c5f8.png59a72b9ba4eb1_NewYorkYankeesAlternate1.thumb.png.ac5c166a93a474290ae1707edc9c94cc.png59a72ba4af5eb_NewYorkYankeesAlternate2.thumb.png.c3adc458416dfc69d379e3c7342d49ac.png

-I just took the stripes off of the socks. If any team has the right to choose to do that, it's the Yankees.

 

Tampa Bay Rays

59a72c4a705d9_TampaBayRaysLogos.thumb.png.e86b921649a666d314691ee2b6f8e7d7.png59a72c548db91_TampaBayRaysHome.thumb.png.0eef2aeb6fd7871c79548e5744f34ac3.png59a72c5fcbae2_TampaBayRaysAway.thumb.png.4af64cd19c023f58d9ab28c6c794aecd.png59a72c6a828ee_TampaBayRaysAlternate1.thumb.png.15ff15e5701ef4dc6002d45701007a23.png59a72c74efbd0_TampaBayRaysAlternate2.thumb.png.060adaa79366900c4e72e61d2e239ea4.png

-I tended to like the simple forest and powder, but the lime green seemed to garner some positive reaction, so I decided to keep it.

 

Toronto Blue Jays

59a72d50083c1_TorontoBlueJaysLogos.thumb.png.d4c838a194990f3a85002769b93400d3.png59a72d59887d1_TorontoBlueJaysHome.thumb.png.4548406c9083425aa4038b7da80c9944.png59a72d657351a_TorontoBlueJaysAway.thumb.png.9e87d90fd59325130d258632452ca2c8.png59a72d70580ca_TorontoBlueJaysAlternate1.thumb.png.d7a5d19f03bee36254e249e3e9ab17ee.png59a72d7bb7570_TorontoBlueJaysAlternate2.thumb.png.72aa49cad3021db5604f272c25aa5a70.png

-No changes necessary for the Jays.

 

So the Sounds and the Rays keep their most recent color schemes, the Yankees lose their stripes, and the Orioles, Red Sox, and Jays stay as they were.

 

And that (officially now) wraps it up! Thank you to all who were following along, I had a lot of fun generating & creating upon ideas over the course of this series, as it really was a unique challenge.

 

I'm curious: Now that you can see all the divisions here together, what was your favorite division, and what was your favorite team in each division? Please let me know below.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
coco1997    1,047

Now that you've decided to give the Yankees solid navy socks, would you be more amenable to putting Boston in these babies? I believe your original argument against them was that you wanted to emphasize the team name and have the Red Sox be the only team with solid-colored socks. Now that they aren't, maybe give it another thought?

 

As for my favorite division, it's close, but I have to give it to the AL West. I love the new color schemes for the Rangers, Astros and Angels, and the Beavers identity is fantastic. The AL Central and NL East are a tie for second. 

 

Favorite team by division:

 

AL East: Sounds

NL East: Braves

AL Central: Bees 

NL Central: Zephyrs 

AL West: Rangers

NL West: D-Backs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SFGiants58    1,874

ezgif-4-fe7faed0e1.gif.89858de4e8280d258c86fcc3fed03f15.gif

 

Congrats on completing your series! It's been a lot of fun following it. My favorite division has to be the AL West. There's a beautiful variety of colors and fonts, with a bunch of fantastic striping patterns and graphic alignments. As for my favorite team per division:

 

AL East: Tampa Bay (the work with the font is really impressive)

AL Central: Salt Lake City (that color combo with the striping pattern is fantastic, even if it violates my rule about pinstripes and sock/sleeve striping)

AL West: Portland (I love that color scheme and the beaver pattern)

NL East: Miami (the rainbow-ish look is really eye-catching, and I still like the new number font)

NL Central: New Orleans (you really knocked this one out of the park on the font, color, and pattern levels)

NL West: Colorado (you managed to make the font look good, and that color scheme with those sock stripes is lovely)

 

Good work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Htown1141    132

@MJD7 ayy is that the natural, my boy Jeff Francouer on the Braves set? Just poppin' by to credit you on memorializing my favorite worst baseball player. Fantastic work otherwise, everything is so damn unique and fantastical and I love it. This series is so great I just *might* take some "inspiration" from what you've done for a future series of my own :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MJD7    907
On 8/30/2017 at 5:39 PM, Cardsblues02 said:

NL West was my favorite! Great series! Very nice job with all the uniforms and logos. 

 

On 8/30/2017 at 6:03 PM, Paul Lucas said:

Excellent work, brother. Congrats!!!

Thank you both so much!

On 8/30/2017 at 6:08 PM, coco1997 said:

Now that you've decided to give the Yankees solid navy socks, would you be more amenable to putting Boston in these babies? I believe your original argument against them was that you wanted to emphasize the team name and have the Red Sox be the only team with solid-colored socks. Now that they aren't, maybe give it another thought?

 

As for my favorite division, it's close, but I have to give it to the AL West. I love the new color schemes for the Rangers, Astros and Angels, and the Beavers identity is fantastic. The AL Central and NL East are a tie for second. 

 

Favorite team by division:

 

AL East: Sounds

NL East: Braves

AL Central: Bees 

NL Central: Zephyrs 

AL West: Rangers

NL West: D-Backs 

Thanks! I'm surprised, it seems you really liked the expansion teams, which is great.

 

The Red Sox keeping their all-red socks is just one of those things I stubbornly would like to keep. Maybe it's unpopular, but I'm really not a fan of the striped socks for them. Thank you for the consistently good feedback throughout the series though! Also, I updated the White Sox above.

 

On 8/31/2017 at 1:08 AM, SFGiants58 said:

ezgif-4-fe7faed0e1.gif.89858de4e8280d258c86fcc3fed03f15.gif

 

Congrats on completing your series! It's been a lot of fun following it. My favorite division has to be the AL West. There's a beautiful variety of colors and fonts, with a bunch of fantastic striping patterns and graphic alignments. As for my favorite team per division:

 

AL East: Tampa Bay (the work with the font is really impressive)

AL Central: Salt Lake City (that color combo with the striping pattern is fantastic, even if it violates my rule about pinstripes and sock/sleeve striping)

AL West: Portland (I love that color scheme and the beaver pattern)

NL East: Miami (the rainbow-ish look is really eye-catching, and I still like the new number font)

NL Central: New Orleans (you really knocked this one out of the park on the font, color, and pattern levels)

NL West: Colorado (you managed to make the font look good, and that color scheme with those sock stripes is lovely)

 

Good work!

Thank you! The AL West was definitely the most difficult division to settle, so I'm glad people ended up liking it. It definitely forced me to think outside the box for most of the teams, haha.

On 8/31/2017 at 1:41 AM, Htown1141 said:

@MJD7 ayy is that the natural, my boy Jeff Francouer on the Braves set? Just poppin' by to credit you on memorializing my favorite worst baseball player. Fantastic work otherwise, everything is so damn unique and fantastical and I love it. This series is so great I just *might* take some "inspiration" from what you've done for a future series of my own :P 

Thanks! I'd be delighted if you decide to take some inspiration, I'd be curious to see what kind of direction you could go with some ideas!

 

And that... will officially do it! Once again a final thank you to everyone who followed along, commented, and made suggestions. The sharing of ideas is what truly makes this fun for me.

 

Until next time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was a terrific series! You've shown a lot of creativity in the designs and its been a delight to watch.

 

Here are my favorites:

 

NL East: Expos

NL Central: Cardinals

NL West: Aces

 

AL East: Rays (Blue Jays close behind)

AL Central: Twins

AL West: Angels

 

Favorite division is probably the AL West since I like all of the design in that division. 

 

Congrats on finishing! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
coco1997    1,047

I noticed one other small issue, this one with the Rockies: The new purple alt has solid white pants, while the home uniform is pinstriped. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MJD7    907
On 8/31/2017 at 3:24 PM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

This was a terrific series! You've shown a lot of creativity in the designs and its been a delight to watch.

 

Here are my favorites:

 

NL East: Expos

NL Central: Cardinals

NL West: Aces

 

AL East: Rays (Blue Jays close behind)

AL Central: Twins

AL West: Angels

 

Favorite division is probably the AL West since I like all of the design in that division. 

 

Congrats on finishing! 

Thank you, I appreciate it! Your AL favorites matched mine too.

21 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I noticed one other small issue, this one with the Rockies: The new purple alt has solid white pants, while the home uniform is pinstriped. 

That was actually intentional in that case. Although it's normally one of my biggest peeves to have two sets of white pants, @Paul Lucas suggested it for this one and I think it's a case that works. If not, I can go back to the pinstripes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
coco1997    1,047
1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

That was actually intentional in that case. Although it's normally one of my biggest peeves to have two sets of white pants, @Paul Lucas suggested it for this one and I think it's a case that works. If not, I can go back to the pinstripes.

 

In that case, it makes sense to keep it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now