4th of july oakland a's jerseys

Davis_Irish

I saw an auction for a game worn Buddy Groom jersey on MLB.com. It is a white jersey with red and blue script on it that was worn on the 4th of July in 1999. How many times have the A's worn this jersey? Did any other teams wear red, white, and blue jerseys on the 4th of July? What hat did they wear with this jersey? Just curious. Thanks for your help.

Groomjerseyauto.jpg

I don't know how many times the A's wore that. I think they wore it at least on a couple of the fourth's. I can't think of any other teams who wear red white and blue on the fourth, but I do know the Blue Jays wear red jerseys on the first (I think that's the date?) for Canada Day. Oh, and actually they never get to wear them on Canada Day b/c the MLB won't frickin put them at home on it...or so Chris says... :;):

I don't know how many times the A's wore that. I think they wore it at least on a couple of the fourth's. I can't think of any other teams who wear red white and blue on the fourth, but I do know the Blue Jays wear red jerseys on the first (I think that's the date?) for Canada Day. Oh, and actually they never get to wear them on Canada Day b/c the MLB won't frickin put them at home on it...or so Chris says... :;):

Yeah, they have been on the road on Canada Day the last couple of years!  :angry:  What really sucks is that they didn't have a Canadian flag on their hats or jerseys in those games. And to have FOX not show 'O Canada' during the All-Star Game  is an insult as well.

I saw, I came, I left.

I'm fairly certain that this past July 4th, the Boston Red Sox, Minnesota Twins, Cleveland Indians, Anaheim Angels, Texas Rangers, Atlanta Braves, Philadelphia Phillies, St. Louis Cardinals, Chicago Cubs, Toronto Blue Jays and Montreal Expos all wore uniforms that featured red, white and blue.  :laugh:

Brian in Boston

P.S.  I'm sorry... I couldn't resist. :)

For the A's jerseys, they wore that version I believe from 1998-2000.  In 2001, they had Oakland on the home white in navy with red outline.  The A's asked MLB if they could wear the jerseys for home games after 9/11 but was quickly rejected.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

The A's asked MLB if they could wear the jerseys for home games after 9/11 but was quickly rejected.

Wow, had they done that they may have never gone back. (Like the God Bless America thing -- at what point to you decide to 'stop' being patriotic? Tough call.) I thought the White Sox would go to their 2001 Sunday unis for the rest of the season after 9/11 (white cap with red and blue piping, 1917ish Sox World Series jersey with stars on the logo).

• 9 years later...
<font color='#000000'>The A's asked MLB if they could wear the jerseys for home games after 9/11 but was quickly rejected.</font>

<font color='#000000'>Wow, had they done that they may have never gone back. (Like the God Bless America thing -- at what point to you decide to 'stop' being patriotic? Tough call.) I thought the White Sox would go to their 2001 Sunday unis for the rest of the season after 9/11 (white cap with red and blue piping, 1917ish Sox World Series jersey with stars on the logo).</font>

And almost 10 years later, it was a"tough call" and this is a big pet peeve of mine. "God Bless America" is still sung before "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" in some stadiums when there's a perfectly good patriotic song at the start of every game. And the Stars & Stripes program is a good example of patriotism (and now militarism?) gone wild. (But it's for charity! Sometimes.) "We're more patriotic than you."

Side note: This must be a record for a non-spam zombie thread.

Archived