Houston Texans - Proposed Logos

swisherHOU

Back in 1999 and 2000 when Houston was awarded the team, I of coarse followed the news of the team choosing a name and logo and even heard rumors of what people had seen in focus groups (a bucking horse, the head of a cowboy), but I had never seen anything other than the chosen logo...until now apparently.

Entirely by accident I stumbled across the website forVerlander Design. I saw the Texans logo and clicked on it and realized they had designed it (along with the Falcons, Cardinals, Bengals and Seahawks)

Logo.jpg

And then I clicked on it again and saw some stuff I've never seen before. And some of them sound like what I had heard described by the people in the focus groups. Some of what I saw:

Logo09.jpg

Logo10.jpg

Logo05.jpg

Logo06.jpg

Logo04.jpg

Logo02.jpg

You can see some other wordmarks by clicking on the Texans logo on this page:

http://www.verlander.com/vd08logo/vd08texans01.html

I think it's obvious that none of these logos are completley developed and you can see why they went away from the horse (too much like denver) but its neat to see what might have been the first idea of having the star for an eye.

As a Texans fan and a logo fan, I was pretty excited seeing these. Has anybody ever seen them before? Please tell me there was never a thread somewhere that already discussed this and I just missed it entirely.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Texans dodger-style script was cool, because it's not The Designated NFL Font: see also Broncos, Cardinals, Seahawks, Falcons, Texans, Bengals

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

i understand completely why the texans' bull has the star in its eye, but i just feel that the star is overused in pro sports. in the nfl alone, the cowboys obviously rock it loud, and the pats and titans utilize stars to a lesser extent.

and i know this has already been discussed and debated, but the bull logo is too similar to the longhorns logo.

and then fc dallas had to go and put a bull in their logo too!

the propsoed titan is awesome by the way.

i understand completely why the texans' bull has the star in its eye, but i just feel that the star is overused in pro sports. in the nfl alone, the cowboys obviously rock it loud, and the pats and titans utilize stars to a lesser extent.

and i know this has already been discussed and debated, but the bull logo is too similar to the longhorns logo.

and then fc dallas had to go and put a bull in their logo too!

the propsoed titan is awesome by the way.

it's the whole, "they're in Texas and they're the Lone Star State and the team name is the Texans so there HAS to be a star in it no matter what" kind of thing. i think it's a cool idea that pretty much every pro team in Texas utilizes the star in one way or another

thank god texans management made the right decisions. which isn't to say the others are bad logos per se but they are not really modern enough to be a houston texans logo. if we were talking about the Dallas Texans or the Houston Oilers of the AFL of the 1960's, i probably could see one of those being use. if dallas wanted to reduce the Star logo and go with a more "cowboy" look those would be a good start, maybe even modernize it.

the cowboy face and the bucking cowboy are good contenders for a new cowboys logo. course i wouldn't mind seeing someone do a cowboys concept using one of those logos.

i however do dig that cursive texans wordmark. i also like that titans logo. one of our great designers on the board could fix that logo up and make it a real good titans logo. im not being sarcastic either, there are some really good designers on the board and some of you could do a heck of a job turning these logos in to professional level logos. if anyone wants to take on the challenge of doing so. that would be cool.

Magus.png

General Magus Zeal

Leader of the Mystics of Medina.

The forums most hated member ever.

...i just feel that the star is overused in pro sports. in the nfl alone, the cowboys obviously rock it loud, and the pats and titans utilize stars to a lesser extent.

I don't see how 4 teams in a 32-team league constitutes "overusing" stars.

Of those 4 teams, 2 play in Texas, the Lone Star State. The Titans borrow the 3 stars from the Tennessee state flag, which represents the 3 "grand divisions" of Tennessee (West, Middle, East), a cultural, historical and geographic distinction. And the Patriots have an obvious connection to the use of stars, as well as the red/white/blue color scheme.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

It would be a cool novelty to have a Dodger script in football. Beats the Designated Font, and the longhorn with a star in its eye.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived