Browns officially going with 'throwbacks'

02Rover

Sunday 4/2/06- The Plain Dealer:

"Traditionalists will get their wish this year. Browns owner Randy Lerner is bringing back the team's old duds for next season, including gray face masks, original striping on jersey sleeves and the old, darker shade of brown. The team will wear only white pants and alternate between brown and white jerseys - never orange. 'This is not about branding. This is about the Cleveland Browns,' Lerner said."

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1. All Browns games will be shown in black and white.

2. Will the Browns bust out leather helmets, to really make the traditionalists happy?

Can't wait to see the new Browns gear.  Should be dyno-mite!  Hope the old foggies are happy.

Browns fans love the changes. We, as well as the brass of the franchise, dont really care what anyone else thinks.

Call us what you want...

Somebody ("DMWiz") on the FanHome board is claiming that the latest Style Guide shows the Browns with Brown pants.

I'm looking into it...hadn't heard that one...

OK...got some info:

The Brown was changed...sort of. It's now a custom color. But, instead of equating the Process Simulation color (CMYK breakdown) to a specific Pantone, they're just calling it "Cleveland Browns Brown" and using the CMYK color. Same CMYK as before. Same Pantone Textile color (fabric) as before. It's not really a different color. Marketing guys...sheesh.

Here's the new colors - note the darker Gray being used on the facemasks:

ClevelandBrowns_FRC_9999_SOL.jpg

Dummies. They MAY have just made their striping a lot more inconsistant (maybe not, I'll wait and see for sure).

The dumb thing is the grey facemask. White looks great and grey clashes with orange so bad.

People can claim tradition all they want, but if your tradition is tied up in the color of a facemask, that's sad. And we all know that's not the case with the Browns.

Retro's cool, tradition's cool, but looking good needs to be taken into account, and grey just doesn't look good in this case.

Can't wait to see the new Browns gear.  Should be dyno-mite!  Hope the old foggies are happy.

Dont worry, we are.

also, if youre gonna label us, label us correctly....

fo·gy also fo·gey ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fg)

n. pl. fo·gies, also fo·geys A person of stodgy or old-fashioned habits and attitudes.

This is not about the Cleveland Browns. This is about branding.

Quoted for truth.

Apparently Mr. Lerner doesn't even understand what the concept of branding is... :rolleyes:

Old for the sake of old is a silly idea to me. To each their own, I suppose. I for one think that this takes the second ugliest uniform in the league and puts it a lot closer to the title. :wacko:

Old for the sake of old is a silly idea to me.

It isn't old for the sake of old.

It's about undoing uniform changes (admittedly minor ones) that never should have been made in the first place.

Like when the Packers dropped most of Forrest Gregg's ill-conceived uniform changes (one more to go, boys :P )

Archived