MLB Concept Series #5: Cleveland Indians

mania

Concept #1: Texas Rangers

Concept #2: Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Concept #3: Toronto Blue Jays

Concept #4: Colorado Rockies

My favorite movie of all time very possibly is the original Major League.

But these jerseys are inspired not only by their current look, but also by the 1989-1993 jerseys, which were worn in Major League II, which, while it was an inferior film, the stripes down the sides of the jerseys I have always thought was a great look. :)

For the two hats, I kept them the same as their current style, one navy with red, one navy with navy. The red used throughout the concept is a more pure red than the Indians have been using, theirs is more... pink-ish.

homehat.png

roadhat.png

For the jerseys, I kept the current scripts, took that awful grey stroke out, simplified them, and made them navy-heavy instead of red, changed the number on the front to just red, which, while it is very Dodgers-ish, it was what they used in the early 90s, and I really think it looks great here, and overall, changed the number and name font to something with more curves, as to me it looked like it complemented the script better. I'm using the Astros font. As I said, the general design is heavily influenced by the 1989-1993 look.

homejerseys.png

roadjerseys.png

It's nice, but I think the "racing stripes" are better left in the past. Plus, I don't think they'd wanna use the Astros numeral font.

And Bigboy1083, you seriously need to take it down a notch...or 10 on that sig. I thought mine was pushing it in size and stuff, but, sheebus. Less is more....hell, less is less and that's what you need with that.

I think these are very, very nice. I like the stripes. I agree with elliott that they're a little thick, but they can be made to work. I really, really like the away ones. Seeing the Cleveland script in reverse of what it currently is just looks beautiful.

Well done.

jman077.png

Sig courtesy of LEWJ

It's nice, but I think the "racing stripes" are better left in the past. Plus, I don't think they'd wanna use the Astros numeral font.

Speaking of things better left in the past, how 'bout puttin' Wahoo to rest where he should've been about 40 years ago?

But I agree about the racing stripes. The shoulder stripes or side stripes alone wouldn't bother me, but together it just looks busy and unneccesary.

Overall though, this would still be a slight upgrade. Not your best work, but I'm sure you can tweak it into something that can hang with the rest of your concepts.

Speaking of things better left in the past, how 'bout puttin' Wahoo to rest where he should've been about 40 years ago?

What's wrong with Wahoo? Does it really bother you that a bunch of white folks assume he's offensive and if you look at poll data you'll find about 89% of actual Native Americans don't find him offensive?

jman077.png

Sig courtesy of LEWJ

89% of actual Native Americans don't find him offensive

I don't want to start anothe offensive logos debate, but I'd love to take a closer look at that data (if it exists).

Yeah, IIRC it was the Redskins logo that natives didn't find offencive.

Wahoo, I would bet, is an entirely different story. It's more or less a racist cartoon from the early to mid 1900's.

As for the concept, sans Wahoo, I actually like it. It's based on, IMO, the best uniform the Indians every had.

I would replace Wahoo on the caps with the "I" logo, and lose the sleeve patch all together. The stripes provide enough design as far as the sleeves go.

I'm a total Giants and Tribe fan and I really enjoyed the design of these uniforms. The stripes on the arms in particular are what stand out to me. Excellent use of the current font and keeping the presentation as close to the current standard as possible. I like the Chief Wahoo logo much better than the script I they go with on occasion. :)

Archived