Staples Center on court wordmark

goforbroke

I noticed during last night's Clippers-Knicks game that the Staples Center on-court wordmark now looks a lot more like the Staples logo.

Specifically the L now has the top curved in like a staple, just like in the Staples store logo. I don't know if it's exactly the same, because the L still looks kinda "pointy" instead of rounded off, but its a lot closer than it used to be.

Is this new this year? I thought NBA courts weren't allowed to have compaany logos on the court, even if its the name of the arena. Usually they make the company use a different font or something so its not a brand-name logo.

Here's some terrible pics:

OLD:

145462498_435842a5fd.jpg

NEW: (must be a preseason game because its the Lakers court without Lakers playing)

fullj_getty-77010351ng002_suns_clip.jpg

Staples logo

untitled-1.jpg

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

I noticed during last night's Clippers-Knicks game that the Staples Center on-court wordmark now looks a lot more like the Staples logo.

Specifically the L now has the top curved in like a staple, just like in the Staples store logo. I don't know if it's exactly the same, because the L still looks kinda "pointy" instead of rounded off, but its a lot closer than it used to be.

Is this new this year? I thought NBA courts weren't allowed to have compaany logos on the court, even if its the name of the arena. Usually they make the company use a different font or something so its not a brand-name logo.

OLD:

145462498_435842a5fd.jpg

NEW:

Staples logo

untitled-1.jpg

Um, why are the Clippers playing Phoenix on the LAKERS floor?

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

OLD:

145462498_435842a5fd.jpg

NEW:

Staples logo

untitled-1.jpg

Um, why are the Clippers playing Phoenix on the LAKERS floor?

Because it was a double header preseason game involving the Lakers, Clippers, Suns and Bobcats. The Lakers host 2 days doubleheader games every preseason

If it was a rule, it has long past been erased or just ignored since the sponsor is ponying up millions. The font of Key Bank has always been on the Sonics' court as long as it has been known as KeyArena There are more company fonts on floors than you think, but it might not be in the company's colors, but more are going that route. Just go to a teams site and you'll see. Every airline sponsored has the font on their plane's livery.

Archived